Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409861 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2070 on: April 04, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
Yet another NTM: La Roux, "Looking for the Lights."  I don't hear a hit here.

didn't it sound like the record was stuck at the very end? LOL!

wow, Quarterflash's *other* hit, "Find Another Name, Because 'Seafood Mama' Sucks"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
"Take Off"! BOS the MacKenzie Bros, with Geddy Lee tolerable for once (maybe because he didn't get the joke?). Beauty, eh?

"Just like the white-haired goat, sings a song sounds like she's bleating..."

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:39:47 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 04, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »
2 questions, 2 more VHMs: the Pointers' delightful girl-group pastiche "Should I Do It?" and Huey's first big hit, "Do You Believe in Love?"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 04, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
Here's lookin' at YOU, Bertie Higgins: "Key Largo" is one of those rare hits to cross over from AC stations to become a Top 40 smash.

WOS2 "Pac Man Fever" -- maybe you had to be 10 in 1982 to appreciate this cheezy cash-in.

The chorus of "Don't Talk to Strangers" has a melody similar to another song but I'm blanking on what it is. (ETA: it's Robbie Dupree's "Hot Rod Hearts", which pre-dates the Springfield tune by a hear and a half)

Gotta leave soon, but I'll stick around to hear Phil Seymour's pop-tastic "Precious to Me" as an LDD.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:23:51 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »
Gotta leave soon, but I'll stick around to hear Phil Seymour's pop-tastic "Precious to Me" as an LDD.

Enjoy the rest of your Easter.  That Seymour track was a NTM delight, and gets co-BOS with Livvy's "Make a Move on Me."  I don't get how "Chariots of Fire," aka "Titles," became a hit at all, much less a #1.  I guess I'm not a Vangelis guy.  Ba-dum-tish.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 04, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »
WOS2 "Pac Man Fever" -- maybe you had to be 10 in 1982 to appreciate this cheezy cash-in.

I was, and did.  It doesn't hold up at all.  I heard the album at the time - "Do the Donkey Kong" is the only other title I remember.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 04, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »
Wow, 4 people here on a Sunday afternoon (or in your cases, morning).

i'll be logging off soon, though: Got a date with a priest.  That is, I'm going to church -- in honor of mom, and we have a standing yearly Easter date with some papists!  ;)

Just don't take part in any standing ovations when they defend the Pope (as happened last week in NYC).  :o

Happy to report that in the midst of all the standing-sitting-kneeling not a single Standing O cropped up.  FWIW, I suspect this priest if pretty liberal, in his homily today he reminded us that Mary Magdelene was the first person to see Jesus after he rose from dead, which technically makes her the first apostle.  Of course, the male-centric Church marginalized her and gave the apostolic creed exclusively to the males of the Church.   This priest also must be an English teacher (he's a Jesuit, and their thing is education) b/c in the two masses I've attended by him he's cited poetry in his homilies.

and I got a free low-calorie cookie! 

~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 04, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »
Yet another NTM: La Roux, "Looking for the Lights."  I don't hear a hit here.

didn't it sound like the record was stuck at the very end? LOL!

wow, Quarterflash's *other* hit, "Find Another Name, Because 'Seafood Mama' Sucks"

Quarterflash was the poor man's Motels.  bleah!
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 04, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »

Enjoy the rest of your Easter.  That Seymour track was a NTM delight, and gets co-BOS with Livvy's "Make a Move on Me."  I don't get how "Chariots of Fire," aka "Titles," became a hit at all, much less a #1.  I guess I'm not a Vangelis guy.  Ba-dum-tish.

do you know Donny Hathaway's live version of Jealous Guy?   pretty great...

... here's a crappy recording on YouTube  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65WexbsVs40
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

I don't get how "Chariots of Fire," aka "Titles," became a hit at all, much less a #1.  I guess I'm not a Vangelis guy.  Ba-dum-tish.

I've always liked it, but it had to do with the movie being a hit. I remember seeing the film and thinking "this music is wonderful, too bad instrumentals rarely become hits any more" - and, lo...

SFGuy

« Reply #2080 on: April 04, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Bummer: the West Virginia station has dropped Casey's '80s. So it's Canada or nothing for me on Sunday morning.

you can tune in here, 8 AM:  http://radiotime.com/station/s_34456/The_Fox_923.aspx

looks like that's the '70s version. Oh well, Canadaian hosers beat West Virginia rednecks any day.

Actually Mike, 2 other stations broadcasts on Sunday morning between 7 and 10 AM http://radiotime.com/options/p_154285/American_Top_40_-_The_80s.aspx

KLite 106.3   Sun   7am   4 hours   Widefield   CO   106.3 FM      
Magic 97.9   Sun   9am   4 hours   Kenova   WV   97.9 FM      

SFGuy

« Reply #2081 on: April 04, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »
This Stevie Woods thing, which I barely remember, is like "Ride Like The Wind" meets "He's So Shy".

It was NTM, and I've never heard his other hit either.

Rod Stewart's "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)" was on the charts when I first heard the stomach-pumping urban legend.  I still associate the song with gaiety.

I heard this earlier. I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time so 1981 or so.

SFGuy

« Reply #2082 on: April 04, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »

I was, and did.  It doesn't hold up at all.  I heard the album at the time - "Do the Donkey Kong" is the only other title I remember.

I bought the album (vinyl) and liked it. And no, it doesn't hold up.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 08, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: April 09, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »
And this weekend's edition of AT40/The '80s is from 4/14/1984: