Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409916 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1800 on: January 23, 2010, 08:18:57 AM »
Bert Kaempfert's got the mad hits!  Casey plays "Wonderland By Night" as an extra.

Digging most of this, except Elvis's lesser half to yet another double-sided hit, "There Goes My Everything."  Especially fun to hear Chairmen of the Board - "ask Joe Mama!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: January 23, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »
I remember Diana Ross as a good thing.  But that was a long time ago.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: January 23, 2010, 09:07:37 AM »
hey gaz, just turned on the Ontario Canada broadcast and I'm getting Grass Roots' Temptation Eyes as an extra!
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: January 23, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »
Hey girl, whatcha DOIN' down there?!

Casey oddly calls Dawn an 8-member group.  I had no idea they ever included their backing musicians in the credit.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: January 23, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
Forgot to mention that Curtis Mayfield's "(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go" is one of the most awesome songs ever.  Apocalyptic paranoia with brazen orchestration and a massive bassline - this should have been a #1.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 23, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »
Forgot to mention that Curtis Mayfield's "(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go" is one of the most awesome songs ever.  Apocalyptic paranoia with brazen orchestration and a massive bassline - this should have been a #1.
Tho' it managed only #29 on Billboard Hot 100, it did hit #3 on the Billboard Soul Chart.  And, note the album version runs 7:50 in length:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Don't_Worry)_If_There's_a_Hell_Below,_We're_All_Going_to_Go

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
Forgot to mention that Curtis Mayfield's "(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go" is one of the most awesome songs ever.  Apocalyptic paranoia with brazen orchestration and a massive bassline - this should have been a #1.
Tho' it managed only #29 on Billboard Hot 100, it did hit #3 on the Billboard Soul Chart.  And, note the album version runs 7:50 in length:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Don't_Worry)_If_There's_a_Hell_Below,_We're_All_Going_to_Go

Truly fabulous, and worth noting it's his only pre-Superfly Top 40 solo hit. Astoundingly, "Move on Up" never charted (maybe it was never a single, but if not, why not?).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:03:51 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 23, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
Everybody ova THERE! Get in-TO-it!  JB screamin' his brains out, like no one else can. And he's followed by the Osmonds -- talk about a trainwreck segue!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 23, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »
Is Van Morrison going underground to get some "heavy bread" or some "heavy breasts"?

This vintage 1971 commercial for Bobby Bloom's "Make Me Happy" didn't help it get any higher than #80.  And here's one of my least-fave 3DN hits -- they just wanna be your one man bah-ooh.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »
And ya know -- yeah, ya know -- that Redeye's "Games" is one of the best CSN imitations evah. And Edwin Starr's "Stop the War -- NOW!" is a bit too sound-alikey, but politically ballsy nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:05:55 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
Hey girl, whatcha DOIN' down there?!

Casey oddly calls Dawn an 8-member group.  I had no idea they ever included their backing musicians in the credit.

Hrm. Whitburn makes no mention of that, but does say that on "Candida" and "Knock 3 Times" it was Orlando with Toni Wine & Ellie Greenwich!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 23, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »
"the Pope owns 51% of General Motors
and the Stock Exchange is the only thing he's qualified to quote us."

Hooray for Casey picking "Awaiting on You All" to represent the #1 LP, All Things Must Pass  -- too bad that weekly feature would disappear in late '71.

Seven Motown hits on this chart, and the J-5's "Mama's Pearl" was 2 weeks away from debuting. But how sad that the Supes/Tops cover of "River Deep/Mountain High" was a bigger hit than the orig.

uh-oh -- Stephen Stills is puttin on his fisting glove. Ewww.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:06:00 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
so many BOSs to choose from, but "If I Were Your Woman", you'd have no other woman, by an obviously pre-Mormon Gladys, is as powerful today as it was the first time I heard it at age 15.

BOS2 "Rose Garden", as perfect a country-pop single as the '70s produced.

and of course BOS3 Babs-does-Laura Nyro. I've probably said this before, but in 1971 I thought of Streisand as "old", someone my parents listened to (I figured she must be in her 40s at least). So finding out she was 29, as she recorded her first LP of contempo songwriters -- people her own age, more-or-less... was a revelation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:28:03 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
This week Casey's '70s visits Jan 30th 1976

http://www.wods.com/pages/6218666.php

Is it me or is '76 the most-visited year?

BTW, meant to ask this the other day, but those of you who listen to the '80s show, broadcast version, could you post links to the stations you listen on? I'd like to get back to hearing the '80s charts, which I had to stop because my old PC was incompatible with anybody's players.

SFGuy

« Reply #1814 on: January 27, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
This week Casey's '70s visits Jan 30th 1976

http://www.wods.com/pages/6218666.php

Is it me or is '76 the most-visited year?

BTW, meant to ask this the other day, but those of you who listen to the '80s show, broadcast version, could you post links to the stations you listen on? I'd like to get back to hearing the '80s charts, which I had to stop because my old PC was incompatible with anybody's players.

I get the link from here: http://radiotime.com/options/p_154285/American_Top_40_-_The_80s.aspx

I use the Sunday, 5 PM one, which is JACK-FM in Baltimore. http://www.wqsr.com/