Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409609 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1650 on: November 11, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »
This week Casey's '70s visits Nov 13th 1971!

http://www.wods.com/pages/5651559.php
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 13, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

I suspect this may be a rerun, but it's one fabulous -- indeed one might say Gaz-tastic -- chart.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 13, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

I suspect this may be a rerun, but it's one fabulous -- indeed one might say Gaz-tastic -- chart.

Incentive for me to get up early!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #1653 on: November 14, 2009, 12:24:31 AM »

Why don't you decide which one to listen to?? Here is a list of those stations that broadcast it http://radiotime.com/options/p_117092/American_Top_40_-_The_70s.aspx It steams basically all weekend.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 14, 2009, 01:22:48 AM »

Why don't you decide which one to listen to??

Good question.  In short: I'm almost never around during the afternoons, and my somewhat dated computer doesn't handle all the proprietary players out there.  So I get up early, catch WODS late Sunday night, or skip it.

PS: As I'm a nightshifter/daysleeper, "get up early" means something somewhat different to me.  If I'm out of bed before 11 I'm up early.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #1655 on: November 14, 2009, 02:26:57 AM »

Why don't you decide which one to listen to??

Good question.  In short: I'm almost never around during the afternoons, and my somewhat dated computer doesn't handle all the proprietary players out there.  So I get up early, catch WODS late Sunday night, or skip it.

PS: As I'm a nightshifter/daysleeper, "get up early" means something somewhat different to me.  If I'm out of bed before 11 I'm up early.

Actually the question was rhetorical. I said to put the link up. I've done it before but it never hurts to list again for those who want to choose which feed the want to listen to (70s has a ton more than the 80s).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 14, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »
Originally Aired - November 13, 1971

#40 Cherish – David Cassidy
#39 What Are You Doing Sunday – Dawn
#38 Scorpio – Dennis Coffey & The Detroit Guitar Band
#37 Respect Yourself – The Staple Singers
#36 Long Ago And Far Away – James Taylor
#35 Trapped By A Thing Called Love – Denise Lasalle
#34 If You Really Love Me – Stevie Wonder
#33 All I Ever Need Is You – Sonny & Cher
#32 Thin Line Between Love & Hate – Persuaders
#31 A Natural Man – Lou Rawls
#30 Sweet City Woman – The Stampeders
#29 One Tin Soldier (The Legend Of Billy Jack) – Coven
#28 You’ve Got To Crawl (Before You Walk) – 8th Day
#27 Two Divided By Love – Grass Roots
#26 Absolutely Right – Five Man Electrical Band
Extra Wild Night -- Van Morrison
#25 Questions 67 & 68 – Chicago
#24 One Fine Morning – Lighthouse
#23 Go Away Little Girl – Donny Osmond
#22 Rock Steady – Aretha Franklin
#21 Family Affair – Sly & The Family Stone
#20 Only You Know And I Know – Delaney & Bonnie
#19 The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down – Joan Baez
#18 Easy Loving – Freddie Hart
#17 Tired Of Being Alone – Al Green
#16 Everybody’s Everything – Santana
#15 The Desiderata – Les Crane
#14 Do You Know What I Mean – Lee Michaels
#13 Got To Be There – Michael Jackson
#12 Never My Love – Fifth Dimension
#11 Baby I’m-A Want You – Bread
#10 Superstar – The Carpenters
#9 Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) – Marvin Gaye
#8 Have You Seen Her – The Chi-Lites
#7 Peace Train – Cat Stevens
#6 Yo-Yo – The Osmonds
#5 I’ve Found Someone Of My Own – Free Movement
#4 Maggie May – Rod Stewart
#3 Imagine – John Lennon Plastic Ono Band
#2 Theme From ‘Shaft’ – Isaac Hayes
#1 Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves – Cher

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:15:50 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 14, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »
#40 Cherish – David Cassidy  -- nice cover of a song I like, what's not to like?  HM

#38 Scorpio – Dennis Coffey & The Detroit Guitar Band  --- diggit!

#37 Respect Yourself – The Staple Singers -- "Take the sheet off your face, boy, it's a brand new day.."  BOS

#36 Long Ago And Far Away – James Taylor -- in recent HOF issue of Rolling Stone, Jason Mraz pens a little tribute to JT.  yikes!  The question is "Will Gaz want to read something by Jason if it's about JT?"  :)  Well, it's short enough that I can transcribe it here:

James Taylor by Jazon Mraz

"James Taylor is a little bit of a psychologist and a little bit of a nanny: no matter what he singing it's like a lullaby telling you everything's going to be all right.  I resisted his music for the first 25 years of my life, prob b/c my parents listened to him.  But as I grew into an adult and went in and out of relationships, his music began affecting me.  There's something about rockers and poets who take that journey inward through the use of drugs -- James did it with heroin, and to come back and continue to tell stories shows he wasn't giving up on life.  I took my dad to see him a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl, and we bopped to How Sweet It Is.  For my dad to see me dancing to one of his favorites songs -- acknowledging my dad for having good taste in music -- was the nicest thing."  [Rolling Stone #1092, p.80]

Mike might have something to say here!

#31 A Natural Man – Lou Rawls  -- kinda cringe-y silly intro by Casey refers to Lou's experience w memory loss.  Casey ain't no comedian!

#30 Sweet City Woman – The Stampeders  -- it's on the banjo list!

#28 You’ve Got To Crawl (Before You Walk) – 8th Day  BOS2!

#26 Absolutely Right – Five Man Electrical Band -- a great pop nugget!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:45:04 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 14, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »
#36 Long Ago And Far Away – James Taylor -- in recent HOF issue of Rolling Stone, Jason Mraz pens a little tribute to JT.  yikes!  The question is "Will Gaz want to read something by Jason if it's about JT?"  :)  Well, it's short enough that I can transcribe it here:

James Taylor by Jazon Mraz

"James Taylor is a little bit of a psychologist and a little bit of a nanny: no matter what he singing it's like a lullaby telling you everything's going to be all right.  I resisted his music for the first 25 years of my life, prob b/c my parents listened to him.  But as I grew into an adult and went in and out of relationships, his music began affecting me.  There's something about rockers and poets who take that journey inward through the use of drugs -- James did it with heroin, and to come back and continue to tell stories shows he wasn't giving up on life.  I took my dad to see him a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl, and we bopped to How Sweet It Is.  For my dad to see me dancing to one of his favorites songs -- acknowledging my dad for having good taste in music -- was the nicest thing."

Mike have something to say here!

LOL! I think Gaz's head may explode trying to come to terms with that.

re: "Cherish" -- a famous deejay line at the time was "Cherish is a word I use to describe... a chair!"

SFGuy

« Reply #1659 on: November 14, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »
The 80s version is from November 14, 1987, which included the HFH played Friday, "I think we're alone now".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 14, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »
The Magic 98 DJ intro-ed AT40 by saying "you GOTTA listen to the first segment! You won't believe it!"  Guess he was referring to Casey thanking his substitute host from the previous week: "I was out of town filming a part in a new movie called That Lovin' Man Jesus starring Fabian Forte..."

:o  :o  :o

Gotta look *that* one up on IMDB...

VHM Dawn with "What Are You Doing Sunday?", one of their seemingly endless series of "Candida" sound-alikes. Better than "I Play & Sing", anyway. And another VHM for Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio" -- I've heard "Taurus", but I need to track down his other 10 zodiac instrumentals.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 14, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I'd like to give the Staples a BOS but I don't give a good gahoot.

VHM Joni Mitchell's backing vox on the JT tune; BOS1 Denise LaSalle's fab "Trapped By a Thing Called Love", a revelation to my 16-year-old ears when it made it onto WABC that fall. And another VHM to Cher & Sawney, hawney!

But WOS the Persuaders' "Thin Line Between Love & Hate" -- my feelings on this one are well-documented here.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 14, 2009, 08:05:48 PM »
in case he doesn't get to hear it, proxy of Gaz for "One Tin Soldier". I wouldn't get to see Billy Jack until its 1973 re-release.

BOS2 8th day, as fine a forgotten Soul nugget as I know of. And if you think 5MEB's "Absolutely Right" is actually better than "Signs", you're... uh... yup.

2nd proxy of Gaz, Lighthouse -- they deserved many more and bigger hits.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 14, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »
Santana re-purposes "Karate" into "Everybody's Everything"; Les Crane re-purposes "The Desiderata" into that rarity, the spoken-word hit. If only NatLamp's "Deteriorata" had made the Top 40 too.

"...the universe is laughing behind your back..."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
The Association continue to rack up the resids with the 5D's fine cover of "Never My Love"; VHM Bread's "Baby, I'm a Wan Shoe": David Gates just can't live without your lovin' and affection/givin' him erections.

BOS3 Karen Carpenter.