Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409899 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1635 on: November 05, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
Next Casey70's is a chart we heard a year ago, Nov 8, 1975:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=
The repeats are also getting on my nerves. How many weeks has it been since a '72 show has aired?! "Rockin' All Over The World" (obvious Chuck Berry cop) "Born To Run" and "Lady Blue" are great songs that never cracked the top 10. "Miracles" and "Lyin' Eyes" are 2 great songs that did (but unjustly didn't make it to #1). "Saturday Night" and "S.O.S. are great pop cheese. "Let's Do It Again" is a great song from a terrible movie.   I love Elton John but "Island Girl" has to be one of the worst songs he ever recorded from a terrible album "Rock of the Westies".  He has wisely kept it out of his concert set.  It edges out "Feelings" as worst song in this weeks countdown.

yeah, I rented Let's Do It Again just last month as a matter of fact.  I know it's an important movie, since it was a big step in establishing Black cinema in the studio system, but it's got some boring-ass sections.  I admire Poitier and Cosby for using the medium they way they did -- they did try to establish some very real characters -- Check out this YouTube clip from about 6:40 to 8:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oeGUv3AJc

That was good healthy stuff, showing loving relationships.  But too much off the movie is silly wacky slapsticky stuff, esp the parts with Jimmie Walker and the big chase, etc.

I also owned the Island Girl 45 when I was a kid, so I have a soft spot for it... but you're right, it's pretty lame.  
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 06, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »
A.T. 40 from November 8, 1975 -
#40 “DIAMONDS AND RUST” – Joan Baez
#39 “DANCE WITH ME” – Orleans
#38 “IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE” – Tavares
#37 “OUR DAY WILL COME” – Frankie Valli
#36 “SATURDAY NIGHT” – The Bay City Rollers
#35 “SECRET LOVE” – Freddy Fender
#34 “ROCKIN’ ALL OVER THE WORLD” – John Fogerty
#33 “I WANT’A DO SOMETHING FREAKY TO YOU” – Leon Hayward
#32 “JUST TOO MANY PEOPLE” – Melissa Manchester
#31 “PEACE PIPE” – B.T. Express
#30 “BRAZIL” – The Ritchie Family
#29 “OPERATOR” – The Manhattan Transfer
#28 “LET’S DO IT AGAIN” – The Staple Singers
#27 “BLUE EYES CRYIN’ IN THE RAIN” – Willie Nelson
AT40 EXTRA - "OVER MY HEAD" - Fleetwood Mac
#26 “EIGHTEEN WITH A BULLET” – Pete Wingfield
#25 “I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU” – Art Garfunkel
#24 “MY LITTLE TOWN” – Simon & Garfunkel
#23 “BORN TO RUN” – Bruce Springsteen
#22 “FLY, ROBIN, FLY” – Silver Convention
#21 “WHAT A DIFF’RENCE A DAY MAKES” – Esther Phillips
#20 “YOU” – George Harrison
#19 “THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT)” – K.C. & The Sunshine Band
#18 “NIGHTS ON BROADWAY” – The Bee Gees
#17 “SKY HIGH” – Jigsaw
#16 “BAD BLOOD” – Neil Sedaka
#15 “S.O.S.” – Abba
#14 “LADY BLUE” – Leon Russell
AT40 EXTRA - "SUKIYAKI" - Kyu Sakamoto
#13 “SOMETHING BETTER TO DO” – Olivia Newton-John
#12 “LOW RIDER” – War
#11 “DO IT ANY WAY YOU WANNA” – People’s Choice
#10 “THE WAY I WANT TO TOUCH YOU” – The Captain & Tennille
#9 “FEELINGS” – Morris Albert
#8 “THIS WILL BE” – Natalie Cole
#7 “THEY JUST CAN’T STOP IT (THE GAMES PEOPLE PLAY)” – The Spinners
#6 “HEAT WAVE” – Linda Ronstadt
#5 “MIRACLES” – Jefferson Starship
#4 “WHO LOVES YOU” – Four Seasons
#3 “CALYPSO” – John Denver
AT40 EXTRA - "YOU SEXY THING" - Hot Chocolate
#2 “LYIN’ EYES” – The Eagles
#1 “ISLAND GIRL” – Elton John

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 07, 2009, 02:26:47 AM »
   Hey everybody the station that brought AT40 the 70's and 80's back to the public KQLL has dropped their oldies format (for an all Christmas mucus format effective Halloween day!!!) and let go their program director Kevan Seal .  He was the one who first put the past countdowns on the air (you can look it up on Wikipedia).  Anyway here's a link to a Facebook site protesting the changes Clear Channel has made.  One less station carrying AT40 The 70's & 80's over the internet is one too many!!!                                                                 http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=191383943618&ref=nf&v=wall#
The Hits From Coast To Coast

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 07, 2009, 03:04:06 AM »
      Hmmm... wonder just who the "vagabound singer" that broke her heart Joan could be singing about in "Diamonds and Rust"?!!! ;D
The Hits From Coast To Coast

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 07, 2009, 07:39:27 AM »
I'm digging the early part of the set.

Diamonds and Rust.  Wow, is this sorta the way stars would call out other stars before rap came along?   I felt a little uncomfortable hearing Joan air her specific pain like that.  It made me think Dylan is a real dick.  Which I also thought when saw Don't Look Back.  He's probably a dick.

Freddie Fender is hitting all the right notes this morning. BOS to his Secret Love.

Leon Hayward's “I WANT’A DO SOMETHING FREAKY TO YOU” lists such activities as "sliding down your canyon, into your valley of love."  that's just charming and lovely.... boo-yah! 

Melissa Manchester -- and her producers on this cut -- are channeling Diana Ross & the Supremes and Motown w Just Too Many People. Nice, NTM.

BT Express and Peace Pipe is pretty cheesy, with that American Indian interlude and all, but it makes me wanna take up smoking!  I notice there's a clarinet -- or some other reed -- featured heavily.  We need more reeds in pop music, I think.

.. and the award for Most Dated Sounding Song of Set goes to ... The Ritchie Family and Brazil!  Sounds like they're quoting another disco hit (their own, maybe?) in the song, with the "ooh-oooh-OOoo!"  whooping.   Casey says it fell from number 11, I hope it didn't get higher than that.

Manhattan TRansfer dong some gospel!  Whoa!  right awn! 

.. and here's the Staple Singers doing Curtis Mayfield's Let's Do It Again.  Mavis sounds like she's having sex on this recording!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:51:58 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 07, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
have to quit listening for an hour or so, but this chart is not bad at all, Feelings notwithstanding. At least it's not You Light Up My Life, which I think infested that charts in 77?  For some reasin, I always link those two songs together as a two-fer crapfest.

Willie Nelson's Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain can join Freddie Fender w another BOS
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:52:41 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 07, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
I never liked Natalie Cole's #8 This Will Be,  but thankfully The Spinners come to the rescue with They Just Can't Stop It (The Games People Play).  I wasn't really aware that was a parenthetically titled song, I always ref'd to it by the paren title.  Like how many of us every refer to Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo? and not (Heartbreaker?)
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 07, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »
I'm now hearing the second hour ...

So Eighteen With A Bullet is a novelty song, right?

I do like the smooth-jazz I Only Have Eyes For You by Art Garfunkel, esp the instrumentation.

#19  “WHAT A DIFF’RENCE A DAY MAKES” – Esther Phillips
Casey pronounces this title by emphasizing the last word "makes," saying Esther Phillips used a diff'rent spelling than Dinah Washington's original version.  But I fail to see how remove a letter in the word "difference" puts empahsis on the word "Makes" -- am I missing something?

#20 “YOU” – George Harrison -- Not his best, but it's still George

#19 “THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT)” – K.C. & The Sunshine Band  - gotta love KC

#18 “NIGHTS ON BROADWAY” – The Bee Gees -- ANOTHER BOS!

#17 “SKY HIGH” – Jigsaw -- "Mommy, is that a lady singing?"

#16 “BAD BLOOD” – Neil Sedaka -- "The *hctib* is in her smile..." we get the bleeped version! 
so did Neil and Elton both "do Ron?"  Who's Ron?  What did he have to say about this?

#15 “S.O.S.” – Abba -- a song from another time...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:50:46 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
I wasn't really aware that was a parenthetically titled song, I always ref'd to it by the paren title. 

It's worse than you think.  Look how they butchered the punctuation in the title:
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 07, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
.. and here's the Staple Singers doing Curtis Mayfield's Let's Do It Again.  Mavis sounds like she's having sex on this recording!

I thought it was a song about eating Butterfingers  ???
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1645 on: November 07, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
I know there isn't much interest in Casey's 80's version but this week is November 13, 1982 (this is the Premiere Network version as XM doesn't have Casey's 80's show anymore).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 07, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »
I know there isn't much interest in Casey's 80's version but this week is November 13, 1982 (this is the Premiere Network version as XM doesn't have Casey's 80's show anymore).

I for one still take an interest in these.  Thanks.   ;D
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 08, 2009, 07:51:12 AM »

A few I had completely forgotten in the Top 20 this week: Survivor's "American Heartbeat" and Evelyn King's "Love Come Down."  The former would get WOS if not for Steel Breeze's insipid "You Don't Want Me Any More."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 08, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »

I thought it was a song about eating Butterfingers  ???

Hearing the first hour this morning, I thought how great it woulda been if Casey had followed "Let's Do it Again" by saying [Casey K voice]there's the second woman in this week's countdown who's had sex with Bob Dylan! The first was Joan Baez at #40, that was Mavis Staples at #28...[/Casey K voice]

Quote from: Tinka_Cat
“BAD BLOOD” – Neil Sedaka -- "The *hctib* is in her smile..." we get the bleeped version!  So did Neil and Elton both "do Ron?"  Who's Ron?  What did he have to say about this?

Ha! we got the uncensored version this morning. I think both Neil and Elton were doing that bitch Cliff Richard.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1649 on: November 08, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »

A few I had completely forgotten in the Top 20 this week: Survivor's "American Heartbeat" and Evelyn King's "Love Come Down."  The former would get WOS if not for Steel Breeze's insipid "You Don't Want Me Any More."

Steel Breeze never bothered me. I would have figured Toni Basil or Men at Work would rank worse than Steel Breeze.

I noticed a few songs you could tell who wrote and produced them. Dionne Warrick's hit you could tell it was written and produced by the Bee Gees.

Also, the Pointer Sisters song "I'm So Excited" hit the top 40 twice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:03:08 PM by SFGuy »