Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409932 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1620 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »
#33, I Just Want To Make Love To You by Foghat is a live cut, w crowd noises, applause, etc. 

Makes me wonder: What live song charted the highest? 

-- and by "live" I mean a version that was truly recorded live

There have been several "live" singles to make it to #1: Stevie Wonders' "Fingertips" is the most obvious, along with Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give it Up" and (sadly) Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling".  I'm sure we'll think of others...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
Chart Date: October 29, 1977

At40 Extra: If You Leave Me Now – Chicago
how odd: the #1 song from last week's 1976 chart is an extra this week. WTF?  Obviously "Butters" Stotch is working as an intern at AT40!
Sometimes those Extras are from the original show with Casey introducing it, and sometime he'll play #1 tune from year earlier, as in recent Sept '77 replay where he intro'd #1 from year ago, "Play That Funky Music"

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: October 31, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
#33, I Just Want To Make Love To You by Foghat is a live cut, w crowd noises, applause, etc. 
There have been several "live" singles to make it to #1: Stevie Wonders' "Fingertips" is the most obvious, along with Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give it Up" and (sadly) Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling".  I'm sure we'll think of others...
Perhaps some from '80's to present that I'm not aware of ???

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: October 31, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »

More:

John Denver, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (1975)
Macca, "Coming Up (Live at Glasgow)" (1980)
Billy Idol "Mony Mony" (1987)
Elton John/George Michael "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" (1992)

I'm still not clear on whether "Bennie and the Jets" was "live" or doctored.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: October 31, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »

More:

John Denver, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (1975)
Macca, "Coming Up (Live at Glasgow)" (1980)
Billy Idol "Mony Mony" (1987)
Elton John/George Michael "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" (1992)

I'm still not clear on whether "Bennie and the Jets" was "live" or doctored.

thanks for the info, Mike!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: October 31, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »
Wow, Rose Royce's "Do Your Dance" is as unmemorable a groove as I can imagine from that dance-happy era. Meanwhile First Choice's uber-fabulous "Dr Love" is stuck at its #41 peak, never to see the light of Top 40 day.  Unfair, sez I.

Chart-geek alert: Paul Davis is here with "I Go Crazy", in the first of its many many weeks in Casey's countdown.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
Seals & Crofts' "My Fair Share" gets the bizarre lyric award of the week, from the Robbie Benson basketball movie One on One: "Lay me down with justice in a long white gown". Er... wha??

Props to Styx for resisting the impulse to rhyme "virgin sea" with "emergency". But Casey can't restrain himself from gushing over Ms Ronstadt's two big... hits.

BOS and proxy of Gaz for Mr Manilow's "Daybreak"; Barry was very nearly back-to-back with Ronnie Milsap's imitation of him, but Judy Collins got between them. And yes, TC, I agree: her "Send in the Clowns" sounds warped -- must be the same copy Casey played in '75 when it charted the first time! Maybe he left it on the radiator.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:56:21 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 31, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
The idle mind is the playground of the Devil!  BOS2 Peter Brown's "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky Wit Me?" 

I remember this chart now -- it's the one where Casey creams his jeans over the fact that there are "five remakes in a row!"  Jeez, Casey...chill, dude.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:28:49 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 01, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »
Casey's '80s this week hit November 1983, the height of British Invasion II, where my co-BOS votes go to JoBoxers' "Just Got Lucky" and Culture Club's "Church of the Poison Mind" (NB: Casey called the legendary Helen Terry an unofficial band member!).  HM to Pat Benatar, "Love Is a Cattlefield."  Only one I didn't remember was Rick Springfield's "Souls," and I've promptly forgotten it again already.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 01, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
The idle mind is the playground of the Devil!  BOS2 Peter Brown's "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky Wit Me?" 

I remember this chart now -- it's the one where Casey creams his jeans over the fact that there are "five remakes in a row!"  Jeez, Casey...chill, dude.

Meant to mention last nite that we heard the long-forgotten "clean" version of "Changes in Latitudes/Attitudes", which substitutes the phrase "scratches & stitches" for "son-of-a-bitches" (!) -- I totally did not remember that even existed.

SFGuy

« Reply #1630 on: November 01, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »
Casey's '80s this week hit November 1983, the height of British Invasion II, where my co-BOS votes go to JoBoxers' "Just Got Lucky" and Culture Club's "Church of the Poison Mind" (NB: Casey called the legendary Helen Terry an unofficial band member!).  HM to Pat Benatar, "Love Is a Cattlefield."  Only one I didn't remember was Rick Springfield's "Souls," and I've promptly forgotten it again already.

"Souls" sounded like every other Rick Springfield that era. He could use the beat to "Human Touch", "Love Somebody" or "Affair of the Heart".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 01, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »

"Souls" sounded like every other Rick Springfield that era. He could use the beat to "Human Touch", "Love Somebody" or "Affair of the Heart".

*chuckle*  Precisely.  But I gotta say, I dug his eccentric side on "Bop Til You Drop" and "Celebrate Youth."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »
Next Casey70's is a chart we heard a year ago, Nov 8, 1975:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 05, 2009, 12:00:53 AM »
The repeats are also getting on my nerves. How many weeks has it been since a '72 show has aired?! "Rockin' All Over The World" (obvious Chuck Berry cop) "Born To Run" and "Lady Blue" are great songs that never cracked the top 10. "Miracles" and "Lyin' Eyes" are 2 great songs that did (but unjustly didn't make it to #1). "Saturday Night" and "S.O.S. are great pop cheese. "Let's Do It Again" is a great song from a terrible movie.   I love Elton John but "Island Girl" has to be one of the worst songs he ever recorded from a terrible album "Rock of the Westies".  He has wisely kept it out of his concert set.  It edges out "Feelings" as worst song in this weeks countdown.
The Hits From Coast To Coast

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 05, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »

The repeats are also getting on my nerves.

indeed, not the most exciting of charts, other than Ms Baez's "Diamonds & Rust" and Sweet Melissa's unjustly forgotten "Just Too Many People", and Esther Phillips' "What a Difference a Gay Disco Remakes"