Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409920 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1575 on: October 01, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Other highlights of this 1971 chart: The Glass Bottle's "I Ain't Got Time Anymore", Tommy Roe's forgotten, underrated (IMHO) cover of "Stagger Lee", a fine Dells ballad ("The Love We Had Stays on My Mind"), the Raiders' "Indian Reservation" follow-up, "Birds of a Feather", Kris Kristofferson's great "Loving Her Was Easier" and the s-s-smokin' Denise LaSalle with "Trapped By a Thing Called Love". And -- TANC -- the banjo stylings of the Stampeders!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1576 on: October 01, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
the 4-hour version of AT40 would make its debut in a few more weeks

A side result of that is that we're cheated out of all 1979 sets.  I wish they'd add those to the '80s roster.

I guess it's the radio stations editing it for their air. XM has played '79 sets and it's the same length (3 hours and 15 minutes) as the 80's versions.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: October 01, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »

A side result of that is that we're cheated out of all 1979 sets.  I wish they'd add those to the '80s roster.

I guess it's the radio stations editing it for their air. XM has played '79 sets and it's the same length (3 hours and 15 minutes) as the 80's versions.

XM, I'm assuming, runs it without commercials?    2 years ago the broadcast version ran the year-end countdown from '78 as a 2-parter; basically it was the original 8-hour show -- 100 songs, plus extras -- crammed into 6 hours. There were some hilariously short versions of songs; some were, like, 90 seconds each.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
Other highlights of this 1971 chart: The Glass Bottle's "I Ain't Got Time Anymore", Tommy Roe's forgotten, underrated (IMHO) cover of "Stagger Lee", a fine Dells ballad ("The Love We Had Stays on My Mind"), the Raiders' "Indian Reservation" follow-up, "Birds of a Feather", Kris Kristofferson's great "Loving Her Was Easier" and the s-s-smokin' Denise LaSalle with "Trapped By a Thing Called Love". And -- TANC -- the banjo stylings of the Stampeders!

Shucks, I'll miss - I'm doing my annual Oktoberfest jaunt to Maryland this weekend, rendezvousing with some friends from college.  Would have enjoyed the Glass Bottle (which I just heard for the first time last weekend, in a different context that I think involved Dickie Goodman) and "Birds of a Feather" (which I'll always associate with 1995 for purely personal reasons).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #1579 on: October 03, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »

XM, I'm assuming, runs it without commercials?    2 years ago the broadcast version ran the year-end countdown from '78 as a 2-parter; basically it was the original 8-hour show -- 100 songs, plus extras -- crammed into 6 hours. There were some hilariously short versions of songs; some were, like, 90 seconds each.

Xm is commercial free. I guess this allows them not to have any weird edits.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: October 03, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
Cute: Magic 98 played Donna Summer's "MacArthur Park" just before AT40, which begins with the 4 Tops' cover. And I love Levi & Co., but this is strictly a "we're on our way to headline in Vegas" version.  And what happens in Vegas...

And speaking of Vegas, here's Rob Thomas Cher, debuting with "Gypsies Tramps & Thieves". VHM the 5-D with their underrated take on "Never My Love", one of those rare hit singles recorded live in concert.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: October 03, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »
evvah-day's Thanksgiving! Freddie Hart has his only Top 40 hit, "Easy Lovin'", which sounds like something Charley Pride turned down.

Another VHM to Glass Bottle, who were assembled for a series of PSAs for recycling, iirc. "Ain't Got Time Anymore" woulda made a nice follow-up to "Worst That Could Happen" for the B'klyn Bridge.  BOS1 War's sultry "All Day Music", their first un-Burdoned hit.

And still another VHM to another forgotten hit: Tommy Roe, making his last visit to the 40 with an unlikely cover of "Stagger Lee".  A couple years later he'd get to #97 with his version of "Working Class Hero" (!) 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: October 03, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
BOS2 the mighty mighty Dells, "The Love We Had (Stays on My Mind)".

Gawd! how did Van Morrison not sue the Raiders for the total "Brown-Eyed Girl" ripoff that is "Birds of a Feather"? Lawd! Rufus Thomas shows up to teach us how to do the "Breakdown", chilluns.

proxy of cairo, Mr Kristofferson. He leaps into the 40 at #30 with his beautiful "Lovin' Her Was Easier" and seemed headed for the Top Ten, but inexplicably stalled out at 26 a few weeks later.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: October 03, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »
BOS3 Denise LaSalle's great "Trapped By a Thing Called Love"; WOS the Persuaders, one of my all-time HFHs, "Thin Line Between Love and Hate". Yeah, I'm in the minority on that one but it remains a laughably awful lyric to my ears.

Hey JB -- what you gon' play NOW?  BOS4 "Make it Funky". And Gaz is really missing out on a festival of vocalizing this week: the 5-D, Glass Bottle, Dells, and now Free Movement's "I've Found Someone Of My Own". 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: October 03, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
This may be an Oct 2nd chart, but I associate a lot of these songs with the Summer of '71, even the ones that are still climbing, like Al Green, who's tired of growing his own.  And he's followed by our TANC-of-the-Week: the Stampeders and their banjos.

I said this elsewhere recently, but Merrill Osmond screams worse than Linda Ronstadt on a bad day. VHM, however, to Joe South for writing the O-boys' "Yo-Yo".

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »
This station, which normally airs Casey70's, this weekend has Oct 24, 1981
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: October 08, 2009, 08:02:44 PM »
This station, which normally airs Casey70's, this weekend has Oct 24, 1981
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=
Ah, this may be why above station is airing chart from '81 rather than 70's.  This week's 70's replay is one of Casey's specials, this time spotlighting "Top 10 Producers of the 70's", originally aired Oct 5, 1974 :
http://www.957kjrfm.com/pages/events.html?feed=111843&article=4192995

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: October 10, 2009, 08:13:25 AM »
I had no idea that Steve Barri (P.F. Sloan, Grass Roots) had produced the Four Tops' "Keeper of the Castle" and "Ain't No Woman."  Or that the latter had originally been recorded by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds. (!)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 11, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
I had no idea that Steve Barri (P.F. Sloan, Grass Roots) had produced the Four Tops' "Keeper of the Castle" and "Ain't No Woman."  Or that the latter had originally been recorded by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds. (!)

I must say this turned out to be a very entertaining and educational 3 hours. Loved that Casey told the Cher-turning-down-"Night The Lights Went Out in Ga." story, and how 'bout that Rick Hall?

OTOH, KFRC played "You're Having My Baby" right before Casey, and so I got to hear PA & Odious Coates TWICE. Bad enuf I'm home sick without that.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: October 11, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »
I must say this turned out to be a very entertaining and educational 3 hours. Loved that Casey told the Cher-turning-down-"Night The Lights Went Out in Ga." story, and how 'bout that Rick Hall?
Yes, interesting to hear facts about these producers, including some of their other hits not played during this show.
Original Air Date: October 5, 1974
Top Ten Producers of the ’70s (well, 1970-74)
#10 - Thom Bell:
 “ROCK N’ ROLL BABY” – The Stylistics
 “I’LL BE AROUND” – The Spinners
 “I’M DOING FINE NOW” – New York City
 “BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW” – The Stylistics
#9 - James Guercio:
 “SATURDAY IN THE PARK” – Chicago
 “SPINNING WHEEL” – Blood, Sweat & Tears
 “JUST YOU AND ME” – Chicago
 “25 OR 6 TO 4” – Chicago
 “KIND OF A DRAG” – The Buckinghams
#8 - Gus Dudgeon: