Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409947 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1425 on: August 01, 2009, 07:38:55 AM »
Elvis, less than 3 weeks before his death - yikes.  HM to "Way Down," which holds up surprisingly well.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 01, 2009, 07:42:34 AM »
Just noticed that the characters in the first verse of "On and On" are Sue and Sam - are they muskrats?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 01, 2009, 07:44:05 AM »
Elvis, less than 3 weeks before his death - yikes.  HM to "Way Down," which holds up surprisingly well.
I think so, too.  It's got a "Burning Love" feel happening.  Elvis can borrow from himself all he wants.... of course, that's after borrowing from so many Black performers.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 01, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
"I like a woman ... that's QUIET.  A woman who carries herself like ... Miss Universe."  OMGWTFLOL of the week to "Float On," great musically but the most ridiculous lyrics ever.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 01, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »
Just noticed that the characters in the first verse of "On and On" are Sue and Sam - are they muskrats?

whoa!  everyone is borrowing from everyone! 

The Floaters' Float On is so freaking awesome...
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: August 01, 2009, 07:47:26 AM »
"I like a woman ... that's QUIET.  A woman who carries herself like ... Miss Universe."  OMGWTFLOL of the week to "Float On," great musically but the most ridiculous lyrics ever.

CANCER!  and my name is Larry!

eta: love Casey's back announce where he says the Floaters are "heavy into astrology"  uh.. yeah. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:50:05 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 01, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
Johnny Rivers laying the crickets/cicadas on a bit thick on the otherwise lovely "Swayin' to the Music," which for years I thought was titled "Slow Dancin'."  I finally heard the Funky Kings original; it's slower and less well done.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 01, 2009, 08:09:35 AM »
What can I do?  what can I say?  BOS to Leo Sayer's How Much Love.  I've always loved this song.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 01, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »
What can I do?  what can I say?  BOS to Leo Sayer's How Much Love.  I've always loved this song.

Sayer's done one song I adore ("When I Need You"), two I kinda like well enough (this and "More Than I Can Say"), and two I utterly abhor ("Long Tall Glasses," "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing.")  I lump him and Gilbert O'Sullivan together.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 01, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
ooh, Telephone Line is another favorite.  I was glued to my radio this summer, and the overwrought strings and angst in Jeff Lynne's voice fit right into the developing moodiness that came along puberty's onset.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 01, 2009, 08:20:16 AM »
Very surreal to hear the Little Rascals theme as part of the Chico station's commercial filler music.  Can they not even give away ads in this climate?  Wow.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 01, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »
BOS to Hot, "Angel in Your Arms."  Marvelously well sung.  I would have loved it if Love Unlimited had taken a crack at this.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 01, 2009, 08:30:38 AM »
Very surreal to hear the Little Rascals theme as part of the Chico station's commercial filler music.  Can they not even give away ads in this climate?  Wow.

and it was esp weird that we heard an announcer say "Attention!" right before he was clipped off and the theme music kicked in.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 01, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
signing off soon, will have to catch last hour some other time -- although hearing the lower chart is always my priority over the top third, which usually contains songs we hear in heavy rotation.

have a good day, Gaz, and stay dry!
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 01, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »
"She stands before my eyes / Driving me to the airport."

What's she driving, a trolley?  She should keep her eyes on the road, actually.