Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409515 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1365 on: July 11, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
Sorry, but I'm hearing Carly's "You Belong to Me" and I'm thinking of McNair's murderous mistress.  Psychobitch anthem.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 11, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »
Roberta Flack's "If Ever I See You Again" is NTM - it's not on the GH comp I have of hers, Softly With These Songs.  How annoying, considering the number of nonhits on it.

ETA: It melodically sounds an awful lot like "You Light Up My Life."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 11, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »
"Thank God It's Friday" has to be the most cringe worthy song on this countdown (disco cheese from an equally bad movie!). 

Damn, you weren't joking.  This is yet another NTM, and it's a bloody mess.  Like they arbitrarily mashed up a few Silver Convention, Donna Summer, and Rose Royce records, figuring whatever resulted couldn't miss.  And they appear to have been right.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 11, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
"Like the window, you got nothing to say" - I love the song (especially Ann Peebles' original take), but damn that line makes me cringe.  10-year penalty for metaphor abuse.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 11, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
BOS to my beloved Jefferson Starship and the shimmeringly gorgeous "Runaway."  A lovely parting note for Marty and Grace.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 11, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »

Good ears, bub: it was written by the same guy, Joe Brooks (recently accused of multiple instances of sex harrassment).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 11, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
gearing up for Casey with Magic 98's '70s Saturday; Gladys is huggin' and a-lovin', gittin' wit da kissin' again, and then -- TANC -- Shaun Cassidy gives a shout-out to Deanie (which i was just jonesin' for recently).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 11, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
The Magic 98 deejay just said "Here's Andy Kim. He likes it... gently".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:21:40 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 11, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
"Like the window, you got nothing to say" - I love the song (especially Ann Peebles' original take), but damn that line makes me cringe.  10-year penalty for metaphor abuse.

"but like a window, you're transparent as fuck" probably wouldn't've gotten as much airplay.

Holy crap -- I haven't heard Eddie Money's "Maybe I'm a Fool" in ages.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:28:15 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 11, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »
Macca leads off at #40 with "I've Had Enough", telling Linda to stop yapping at him from the back seat. Too bad he couldn't get her to keep her mouth shut on stage.

And Casey precedes the Dave Mason "Will You Still Love Me Tom'ow" with a snippet of the Shirelles version, which he says was produced by... Phil Spector? That can't be right, can it?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: July 11, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Can we prove it all night and still be friends?

Fun chart fact o' the week: next week's 1978 chart (July 22nd) features Andy Gibb bookending the 40 -- debuting at #40 with "An Everlasting Love" and then climaxing the countdown in his 6th of 7 weeks at #1 with "Shadow Dancing".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: July 11, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
If you'd told me I'd end up hearing "King Tut" 5 times in 3 days, I'd've said you were a... nut.

Casey said there was a hit upcoming by an artist with a famous unusual nose, and I thought: "Jamie Farr made the charts?"  But it's Babs with the soon-to-peak-at-#25 "Songbird".

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: July 12, 2009, 02:05:49 AM »
Roberta Flack's "If Ever I See You Again" is NTM - it's not on the GH comp I have of hers, Softly With These Songs.  How annoying, considering the number of nonhits on it.

Joe Brooks wrote both songs.  He was the star/director/writer of the movie "If Ever I See You Again" .  His co-star was future Charlie's Angel Shelly Hack.  I made the mistake of taking a date to see said movie when I was in high school.  It was so bad that I was laughing at the contrived dialouge and bad acting.  My date got mad and stormed out.  I haven't talked to her since.
The Hits From Coast To Coast

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 12, 2009, 02:20:39 AM »
   Does "Hot Blooded" ROCK or what!!!  Hearing it and "Lifes Been Good" back to back is way cool.  Listening to Sunday 3AM (CDT) broadcast on Super Hits KUUL 101.3 out of Moline, IL.  The stream hasn't messed up or stopped once. May be able to last until 6AM.  Gotta hear Casey do intro and outro on "Baker Street".  :)
The Hits From Coast To Coast

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:03 AM »
jumped in right before Magnet and Steel, one of my go-to faves.   

I'm not a super huge fan, but When I saw Roberta Flack at Stern Groooove a couple weeks ago, I don't think she played this song, If Ever I See You Again.   She played her solo hits ("The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "Killing Me Softly with His Song", and "Feel Like Makin' Love",) but she didn't touch her famous duets w Donny Hathaway ("Where Is the Love" and "The Closer I Get to You").  She did talk a bit about Howard University, where she majored in music and where she met Donny -- the mention of his name got a big hand.  [btw, have you ever heard Donny doing "Jealous Guy" from his live album?  very nice...]

TGIF -- yes, I concur.  Cringy and strains of "You Light Up My Pants Life" can be heard.  Joe Brooke was about 70 when those sex charges were alleged.  Dirty Ol' Man...

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:25:24 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~