Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409694 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1335 on: July 03, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »
July 19, 1986 AT40's "Most Michael Jackson-Like Of Set" award goes to Jermaine Stewart's We Don't Have To Take Our Nose Clothes Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_N7rv-iN8

it's like he's doing an MJ imitation.  btw, the song was co-written by Narada Michael Walden, who's responsible for the board lingo "Narada"

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:09:36 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
July 19, 1986 AT40's "Most Michael Jackson-Like Of Set" award goes to Jermaine Stewart's We Don't Have To Take Our Nose Clothes Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_N7rv-iN8

it's like he's doing an MJ imitation.  btw, the song was co-written by Narada Michael Walden, who's responsible for the board lingo "Narada"

I *love* that song; it's on my short list of great pop singles of the '80s. Genius, really: it clearly sounds as if it was written to be sung by a woman, yet Stewart flips it on its head and plays the role of a demure guy (fighting off a horny chick!) who doesn't want to be treated like a "piece of meat". A perfect song for its time (i.e., the beginning of the Age of AIDS). One of the many hits on my "Why did Dave never play this?" list.  Didn't realize Narada wrote it; betcha he pitched it to Aretha, or Whitney, or both.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:47:22 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1337 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:28 PM »
I don't if this is a mistake or not but here is the description of XM's 70's on 7 Casey's show on Saturday morning (9AM PT).:

It's only fitting that a show called "American Top 40" debuted on America's birthday. Casey Kasem hosted the very first "AT40" countdown airing on Independence Day Weekend, 1970. We've dug deep into our archive vaults to find that very first show!

I definitely will tape it. If this the show, I'll see if I could make an audio file and I'm successful there, I will offer it to anyone here who wants it. I let everyone know on Saturday if (a) the show comes on and (b) if I could make an audio file on the show. If anyone can access XM radio, it's on 3 times, 9PM Saturday, 6AM and 9PM Sunday (all times Pacific)

Which XM station carries this? I get some XM channels via DirecTV.

70's on 7 is channel 804. You might not see this by 9AM Saturday so catch it on Sunday, too.

SFGuy

« Reply #1338 on: July 03, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
I don't if this is a mistake or not but here is the description of XM's 70's on 7 Casey's show on Saturday morning (9AM PT).:

It's only fitting that a show called "American Top 40" debuted on America's birthday. Casey Kasem hosted the very first "AT40" countdown airing on Independence Day Weekend, 1970. We've dug deep into our archive vaults to find that very first show!

I definitely will tape it. If this the show, I'll see if I could make an audio file and I'm successful there, I will offer it to anyone here who wants it. I let everyone know on Saturday if (a) the show comes on and (b) if I could make an audio file on the show. If anyone can access XM radio, it's on 3 times, 9PM Saturday, 6AM and 9PM Sunday (all times Pacific)

I don't get XM, but would def be interested in hearing this for sure..  thanks SFGuy!

Indeed, SFG, it would be wonderful if you could do that.  I heard that show when they re-ran it in 1975 for the 5th anniversary, and was struck by how much Casey's voice had changed in 5 years. By '75 he'd really gotten into his groove of a super-sincere, slightly syrupy delivery, but in '70 he was gruffer and punchier (you can hear remnants of that in the early-'71 shows we've gotten). It was a revelation at the time for a young radio geek like me.

If I could convert into an MP3, I'll upload it onto a service like Rapidshare and post the link here.

SFGuy

« Reply #1339 on: July 03, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
One thing. If I am able to do so, the file will be a bit funky as I will programming my DVD recorder to tape the show and I always leave extra time so I don't screw up so you'll get some non-Casey stuff on it (70's music).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 04, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
for those interested in taping online streams, check out this from a recent Ben Fong-Torres column:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/28/PKV71897I6.DTL#einstein

"How to record a show off the Internet.......Audacity, a free version of such audio recording and editing programs as Adobe Audition, has a beta (1.3.7) that has Shark-like features. It's essentially an audio TiVo, allowing timed recordings (look for the "transport" tab). The beta is at http://audacity.sourceforge.net."

I imagine a few folks here will be into this!! I'll post in a tech forum if I can find it....   :)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 04, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »
Hey kids: FYI, Magic 98 in Madison, WI is also doing an AT40 marathon. They're in the middle of a late summer 1976 chart as we speak. JT is golden-showering the people. Eww.

http://www.magic98.com/

Coincidence?  I guess KFRC's commitment to "True Oldies Channel" precludes them from joining the fun.

OMG -- Magic 98 is mixing in patriotic music each hour, and here's Cher's version of the "Star Sequinned Spangled Banner!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:24:46 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 04, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
When your body's had enuf of Ray Sawyer, it's time to give Dr Hook the, er, hook.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 04, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »
Next up on Magic 98: a 9/30/78 chart that kicks off with the Fabulous Sylvester at #40, dancin' the beat in the disco heat (tho' it's the 2 Tons o'Fun doing most of the singing).

And it's followed by the forgettable Stonebolt, and their Ambrosia-ish "I Will Still Love You".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:11:28 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #1344 on: July 04, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
XM goofed. They played the show from July 11, 1970 and not July 4th.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 04, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
Magic 98 is into an October 29, 1977 chart. Just missed Ronnie Milsap and Stephen Bishop, sadly; Andy Gibb's goin' down and Dave Mason's on his way up, with Brick's "Dusic" and Eric Carmen's "She Did It" upcoming.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 04, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
Magic 98 is into an October 29, 1977 chart. Just missed Ronnie Milsap and Stephen Bishop, sadly; Andy Gibb's goin' down and Dave Mason's on his way up, with Brick's "Dusic" and Eric Carmen's "She Did It" upcoming.

HA! I remember this one now, we heard it last year: it's the one where Casey gushes over there being "five -- yes I said five! -- remakes in a row!", starting with Ms Ronstadt in the bayou.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: July 04, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »

HA! I remember this one now, we heard it last year: it's the one where Casey gushes over there being "five -- yes I said five! -- remakes in a row!", starting with Ms Ronstadt in the bayou.

I'm listening to it now.  BOS to the Ronnie Milsap.  HM to Rita Coolidge's finest moment; "We're All Alone" is the only time she didn't sound bored to me (same gripe I have with Jennifer Warnes and Maria Muldaur).  But I didn't know - or didn't remember - that Frankie Valli recorded it first!  Must YouTube that too ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 04, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »
Yikes! Last week we talked about tributes to the dead, and here's Ronnie McDowell with "The King is Gone", thankyaverramuch.

Followed by the much-maligned Paul Nicholas version of "Heaven on the 7th Floor" --  and the maligners hadn't yet seen the Sgt Pepper movie! 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 04, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
I'm listening to it now.  BOS to the Ronnie Milsap.  HM to Rita Coolidge's finest moment; "We're All Alone" is the only time she didn't sound bored to me...

Rumor was that Rita left Mr Kristofferson for a woman (no idea who) so I wonder who she was "All Alone" with when she recorded that -- Kris? or the mystery lady?  Either way, it was ecstasy when they laid down nextashe.