Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409727 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1305 on: June 27, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »
Magic 98's "Saturday At the Seventies" feature is always a treat, but today they're doing an all-Soul version.  And here's Brighter Side of Darkness' "Love Jones" to bore us with "a long irrevelant (sic) conversation".  If only they'd follow it with "Basketball Jones".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 27, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »
Ree-Ree's in love, yes she ram, yes she ram!

And when there's no getting over that rainbow, Karen Carpenter sees me thru.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 27, 2009, 07:41:15 PM »
VHMs for the aforementioned Eddie Kendricks and Cher hits, neither of which has been heard on the radio in many a moon, and another for 3DN, sandwiched between them with their jaunty Leo Sayer cover.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 27, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
WOS -- one of the worst singles of the decade, IMHO -- "Rock'n'Roll Heaven". Tributes to the dead are dicey propositions to start with, but this is so in-artfully written, so NOT clever in every way... yeesh.  See the Commodores' "Night Shift" for one of the rare examples of this sub-genre that actually works on something other than a blatant-attempt-at-manipulation level.

Props, however to whatever Kasem employee chose a chart with "My Girl Bill" in it for this particular weekend.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:29:32 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 27, 2009, 08:38:26 PM »
BOS1 The Hollies gorgeous "Air That I Breathe", which would sadly be their last big hit -- sad because their singles the following year, "Another Night" and their cover of Springsteen's "4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy)" are both terrific.

Another VHM to another fine forgotten one, the Spinners' "I'm Coming Home". And here's Mac Davis, obviously singing about the princess of cairo -- "she's one HELL of a woman -- young and strong and tan"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 27, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
The DeFrancos' cover of "Save the Last Dance" isn't great, but it makes me wish they'd gotten their hands on "Billy Don't Be A Hero" and "Who Do You Think You Are?" before the Heywoods did.

BOS2 Gladys & Co, gittin' wit da kissin' and huggin' and a-lovin'.  If only they'd done more work with Curtis Mayfield.

Damn! this is quite the chart for lost gems -- BOS3 Anne Murray with one of her fine Beatle covers, "You Won't See Me". A most deserving Top Ten hit. But Carly's equally swell "Haven't Got Time For the Pain" (one of her best singles, methinks) would settle for peaking at #14.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:00:27 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 27, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
Bwahahaha! Casey recites some lyrics from "Midnight at the Oasis", doing his best Bogart-by-way-of-Columbo imitation. Another underrated record that inexplicably shows up on "Jukebox From Hell" lists.

And here's Lisa Loopner's favorite piano man, Mr Hamlisch, showing what winning 3 Oscars in one year can do for ya.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 27, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
More prescient programming: Michael and his brothas show up to do the robot.  KPOO has been nonstop MJ all nite; I'll head over there now and catch the rest of Casey's Top Ten tomorrow morning.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 28, 2009, 07:48:24 AM »
The DeFrancos' cover of "Save the Last Dance" isn't great, but it makes me wish they'd gotten their hands on "Billy Don't Be A Hero" and "Who Do You Think You Are?" before the Heywoods did.

Can't agree here - the kid's voice is flat and adrift, to my ears.  I'm with you on Gladys, though.

Casey's '80s go to late June 1980, where we have a bunch of songs from Urban Cowboy (including Joe Walsh's tedious "All Night Long") and a bunch of unnecessary covers (including Kim Carnes' "More Love," which somehow outcharted the original, and Linda Ronstadt's "Hurt So Bad," which actually sounded good today).  Rodney Crowell's sole Top 40 charter, "Ashes By Now," was NTM, as was Raydio's "Two Places at the Same Time."  BOS to Blondie's "Atomic," which only stumbled to #39 in the midst of all those #1s.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 28, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
Ooh: from the yet-to-be-released Xanadu, ELO's forgotten "I'm Alive."  I like it almost as much as the equally forgotten "Shine a Little Love."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #1315 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
This weekend (6/27-28) Casey70's visits June 24, 1974. The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

Welcome Kahunaburger!  FYI: see page one of this thread for some resources. AT40 syndicated replays gives us the opportunity to listen at our convenience either Sat and Sun, via radio websites or even on-demand podcasts via Boston station.  In SF Area, its over-the-air on 1550AM KFRC Sun's 8-11AM.

The XM version had this same show on Saturday morning.

Side note, I was flipping XM stations on my Directv and 70's on 7 played an e-mail request of a Bette Midler song "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". The person went by the name of "RGMike". Was that you, Mike?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:43:16 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:21 AM »
Ree-Ree's in love, yes she ram, yes she ram!

And when there's no getting over that rainbow, Karen Carpenter sees me thru.

I'm just now (Sunday night/Monday morning 3:30am) listening to this set.  ABBA's first appearance on AT40, with "Waterloo" at #39.  I wouldn't become a fan until we got the Super Trouper 8-track in 1980.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 29, 2009, 01:37:21 AM »
WOS -- one of the worst singles of the decade, IMHO -- "Rock'n'Roll Heaven". Tributes to the dead are dicey propositions to start with, but this is so in-artfully written, so NOT clever in every way... yeesh.  See the Commodores' "Night Shift" for one of the rare examples of this sub-genre that actually works on something other than a blatant-attempt-at-manipulation level.

Y'know - I have heard this song fewer than a half-dozen times in my life, and had never paid attention to the lyrics until tonight's on-demand.

You're absolutely right.  Insipid quoting that says nothing about the particulars of the genius of any of the artists, other than "Hey! You're the one who sang that line!" which is, as you say, an inartful way of showing respect.

I think my favorite tribute record is George Harrison's "All Those Years Ago."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 29, 2009, 07:44:29 AM »

Welcome Kahunaburger!  FYI: see page one of this thread for some resources. AT40 syndicated replays gives us the opportunity to listen at our convenience either Sat and Sun, via radio websites or even on-demand podcasts via Boston station.  In SF Area, its over-the-air on 1550AM KFRC Sun's 8-11AM.

Side note, I was flipping XM stations on my Directv and 70's on 7 played an e-mail request of a Bette Midler song "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". The person went by the name of "RGMike". Was that you, Mike?

No! But it's weird when someone's using the same handle as you, which you thought to be fairly unique (it's not like "SF Mike" or "NYC Mike").

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »

No! But it's weird when someone's using the same handle as you, which you thought to be fairly unique (it's not like "SF Mike" or "NYC Mike").

Rio Grande Mike?