Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1409578 times)

SFGuy

Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1290 on: June 22, 2009, 01:25:37 AM »
The XM version of Casey's show was from June 20, 1981 with some "favorites" at the top: #1 Stars on 45, #2 Bette Davis Eyes (#3 was Sukiyaki but I don't know if people here hate that song as much as the #1 or #2 song).

The show also had a Casey error. #30 was Time by Alan Parsons Project. When the song ended, Casey said "Moving up 5 to number 5..." I don't know how he messed up there.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »
The XM version of Casey's show was from June 20, 1981 with some "favorites" at the top: #1 Stars on 45, #2 Bette Davis Eyes (#3 was Sukiyaki but I don't know if people here hate that song as much as the #1 or #2 song).

I'm a fan.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:18 AM »

I'm a fan.

It's easily one of the most WTF covers ever. The orig is one of my favorite novelties and is quite a childhood memory; the English lyric of the cover has nothing to do with the orig and yet it's quite lovely on its own terms.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »
   First off it's great to be part of a posting group that is really into American Top 40- The 70's and 80's.  I started listening in the Summer of '72 and hung around until they stopped using Billboard's Top 100 (sacrilege!).  Love hearing 1970 and 1971 shows because they are my first time hearing them.  Love the weeks with vintage R & B and pop tunes mixed together.  Look forward to posting and reading everyone's thoughts on everything and anything AT40 :D.
The Hits From Coast To Coast

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
   First off it's great to be part of a posting group that is really into American Top 40- The 70's and 80's.  I started listening in the Summer of '72 and hung around until they stopped using Billboard's Top 100 (sacrilege!).  Love hearing 1970 and 1971 shows because they are my first time hearing them.  Love the weeks with vintage R & B and pop tunes mixed together.  Look forward to posting and reading everyone's thoughts on everything and anything AT40 :D.

You have most assuredly come to the right place.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 24, 2009, 07:35:52 AM »

indeed -- Welcome kahunaburger!  How did you find us?

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 25, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
This weekend (6/27-28) Casey70's visits June 24, 1974. The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

Welcome Kahunaburger!  FYI: see page one of this thread for some resources. AT40 syndicated replays gives us the opportunity to listen at our convenience either Sat and Sun, via radio websites or even on-demand podcasts via Boston station.  In SF Area, its over-the-air on 1550AM KFRC Sun's 8-11AM.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 25, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
This weekend (6/27-28) Casey70's visits June 24, 1974.

OMFG! We get to hear Eddie Kendricks' forgotten "Son of Sagittarius", Cher's equally lost "Train of Thought", and the DeFrancos reviving "Save The Last Dance". And for the 2nd week in a row, we get the Carpenters doing Paul Williams. Of course, we'll also be subjected to "Rock'n'Roll Heaven" (one of my all-time HFHs) but ya can't have everything.

Is it a coincidence we get Jim Stafford's "My Girl Bill" on Pride Day? LOL!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 25, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »

OMFG! We get to hear Eddie Kendricks' forgotten "Son of Sagittarius", Cher's equally lost "Train of Thought", and the DeFrancos reviving "Save The Last Dance". And for the 2nd week in a row, we get the Carpenters doing Paul Williams. Of course, we'll also be subjected to "Rock'n'Roll Heaven" (one of my all-time HFHs) but ya can't have everything.

Alan O'Day's responsible for two of those.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »

And I'll never forgive him for "RnRH" -- truly horrible. (assuming the other is the Cher. It's no "I Saw A Man and he Danced With His Wife" but it'll do...)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:51:10 PM by RGMike »

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 25, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »

"Billy Don't Be a Hero" "Sundown" "Band on the Run" and "Dancing Machine" bring back Summer memories at the pool and roller rink.                                                                                                                                                 RIP Michael Jackson.

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 25, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »

I found this group in a google search.  I started reading and was ecstastic to find people who worshipped Casey Kasem and AT 40 as much as me.  It was like discovering Heaven (no relation to the Warrant song).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 26, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »

I found this group in a google search.  I started reading and was ecstastic to find people who worshipped Casey Kasem and AT 40 as much as me.  It was like discovering Heaven (no relation to the Warrant song).

FYI, KB: some of us listen to the Chico station on the 'net Saturday morning; others (mainly me) listen Saturday night to the Madison, WI feed (on "Magic 98" -- http://www.magic98.com/ -- from 7-10pm Pacific time). And then there's the local version on KFRC 1550 AM Sunday morning at 8.

SFGuy

« Reply #1303 on: June 27, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »

FYI, KB: some of us listen to the Chico station on the 'net Saturday morning; others (mainly me) listen Saturday night to the Madison, WI feed (on "Magic 98" -- http://www.magic98.com/ -- from 7-10pm Pacific time). And then there's the local version on KFRC 1550 AM Sunday morning at 8.

The poster's profile says he lives in Omaha, NE so I don't think the person could listen to KFRC (unless it's online).

If you have an XM receiver, the 70's version can be heard at noon ET with replays at 9AM ET on Sunday's and midnight Monday morning ET on 70's on 7. The 80's version can be heard at 7AM ET on Sunday with a replay of the previous week's show at 8PM ET on Sunday's on 80's on 8.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 27, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »
Chart Date: June 22, 1974
#40 "RADAR LOVE" – Golden Earring
#39 "WATERLOO" – Abba
#38 "(I'VE BEEN) SEARCHIN' SO LONG" – Chicago
#37 "I'M IN LOVE" – Aretha Franklin
#36 "DON'T YOU WORRY ‘BOUT A THING" – Stevie Wonder