Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1426355 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2490 on: August 14, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
Hour 2 begins with Casey calling the Isleys "the only group on or off the chart that we can think of, besides the Miracles, who've charted in all 3 decades ('50s '60s '70s)".  And then he mis-identifies their hit as "Meet that Lady", because Billboard had that misprint in their pages for several weeks before they corrected it.

heh, I missed his mistake.  Also, that version is too short, but that's expected on AT40 w the longer hits. 

(Inane aside: There was talk of "anthropomorphizing musicality" (btw, great phrase, Mike) with household pets in yesterday's 10at10. The discussion was in re: how I visualize my cat playing the Moog for ELP's Lucky Man. Well, since the Isley's Who's That Lady has some tough-ass synth blipping and bleeping, my cat jumped naturally onstage with the Bros and kicked out the jams.  In my head, of course. )

Good funky stuff in this chart, tho, you are correct, but Curtis Mayfield's Future Shock was rife with recycling and rehashing of Shaft. Yeah, it sounded great, but all the allusions to his previous song made me thing he sort of tossed this one off.

Carpenters: gf and I decided this is one of their weaker hits, sentimental references to those old "songs on the radio" were too trite.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 14, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
American Top 40 - Aug 25th 1973

Extra: Half-Breed – Cher

more like half-dressed.. nyuk nyuk
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 14, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »
Peterborough Ontario (Canada) extra was Guess Who's Follow Your Daughter Home, NTM.

Advice to a dad to make sure his daughter remains a virgin.   Canada has a safe reputation, doesn't it? but the song was Calypso-flavored -- are they commenting on West Indians?

Oh wow, Monster Mash by Bobby (Boris) Pickett & The Crypt Kickers at Lucky Number 13!  another BOoooo!S
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 14, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »
Our Canuck friends always come up with at least one "WTF?" extra -- that "Follow Your Daughter Home" song by the Guess Who was NTM, as was a tune earlier, something about "my boy's gonna make it in the big leagues", that I just assumed was Bryan Adams but turned out to be Tom Cochrane.

And speaking of "WTF"s, the second coming of "Monster Mash" remains one of the most inexplicable revivals evah -- but one more for the "songs that made the Top 10 twice" list we were compiling recently.

BOS3 Johnny Taylor, the natch'l wailer!

and here's Charlie Daniels, toolin' along in his Chevvalay, and making fun of the sort of person he'd later become.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:22:44 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 14, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
BOS4 to a song nobody likes but me: I find Gilbert O's "Get Down" as irresistable as any pop single from that year.

"Touch me the morning after and we'll get it on, Delta Dawn!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:42:36 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 15, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
Yet again, KFRC screws up and plays the same show 2 weeks in a row.  ::)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 15, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Hour 2 begins with Casey calling the Isleys "the only group on or off the chart that we can think of, besides the Miracles, who've charted in all 3 decades ('50s '60s '70s)". 

The Isleys went on to chart in the '80s, '90s, and '00s - a six-decade feat that I'm sure will never be matched.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
oh, it's the summer of '85, all right: Whitney, JCM, a-ha... a real comfort-food chart from Casey today.

VHM early Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam. Is cult jam what the folks at Jonestown ate with their Kool-Aid?

OMG -- onetime Morey fave Cock Robin at # 36. 

Obscure REO ("Live Every Moment") isn't nearly as bad as, say, obscure Journey, but fairly forgettable nonetheless.

BOS1 RFTW, "Oh Sheila"; BOS2 Eurythmics' fab "There Must Be An Angel" feat Stevie on harmonica; BOS3 one of my fave Madonna singles, "Dress You Up".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:36:55 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 15, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »
So much for comfort food: I totally don't remember this Motels tune, "Shame". Shame on me? Wait, did AL play this recently?

Hard to believe that "People Are People" was DM's first US chart hit.  OMGTWF: haven't heard Rick Springfield's "State of the Heart" in ages.

And another I don't remember: Billy Ocean's forgettable "Mystery Lady"

uber-BOS4 to that LDD from the young mixed-race guy talking about the prejudice he's endured. "I hope that when I'm old enuf to have kids, things will be different". Er...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:30:11 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 15, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
BOS5 HoJo, "Life in One Day"; WOS the Crue's completely unnecessary remake of "Smokin' in the Boy's Room"

VHM the Pointers' "Dare Me" -- was this the video where they dressed up like men?

damn, this is a fun chart: BOS6 Wham! "Freedom"; BOS7 Prince, "Pop Life"

VHM Dead or Alive
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:44:56 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 15, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
BOS8 a fave forgotten Pat Benatar single, "Invincible".

BJ gets his "Second Wind". More like passing wind, har har.

Questions, questions: BOS9 (!) DeBarge's creamy-dreamy "Who's Holding Donna Now?"; WOS2 Heart's "What About Love?"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:44:28 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
This week's headses upses...

Casey's '70s chart is from Aug 27th 1977, presumably including the Elvis-tribute segment:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-27-77.pdf

and the '80s show is from Aug 22nd 1981

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-22-81.pdf
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:10:24 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:35 AM »
VHMs to Ms King's little-heard "Hard Rock Cafe" and Ronnie Milsap doing his countrified Barry Manilow shtick.

BOS1 Hot Chocolate's fab "You Win Again" -- how this Russ Ballard tune failed to be a massive hit for them remains a mystery.

proxy of Gaz, the BCRs' "You Made Me Believe in Magic".

"Ah ain't gon' BITE ya -- ah jus' wan'cha to hang ON!" -- BOS2 "Slide" by Slave, a record that launched a gazillion line-dances.

VHMs to the BeeGees' live take on "Edge of the Universe", a stopgap single released in the window between "Boogie Child" and "How Deep is Your Love"; and KISS' "Christine  Sixteen" -- yeah, Gaz is right, it's badly recorded but it's a flashback nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:48:29 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
BOS3 Ms Reddy, channeling (and surpassing, IMHO) Cilla Black on "You're My World" --still amazing to think Kim Fowley produced this on his day off from working with the Runaways.

BOS4 Alice Cooper surpassing, well, himself on "You & Me".  VHM Peter McCann's lovely lyric on "Do You Wanna Make Love" -- after giving Jennifer Warnes "Right Time of the Night" he kept this one for himself.

VHM Johnny Rivers; thanks Casey for reminding us that Johnny discovered the Fifth Dimension.

and -- but of course! -- BOS5 Stephen Bishop's "On & On", one of my very favorite singles of that year.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:39:58 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »
I don't remember this Elvis tribute -- I was probably working that Sunday in '77 that this show first aired. But playing a live version of "Suspicious Minds" is certainly an interesting choice.

I can't decide if Meri Wilson's "Telephone Man" is brilliant or dreadful. Hey lolly lolly, hey lolly lolly get it any way ya can!

WOS the Floaters. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:27:31 PM by RGMike »