Author Topic: 3 December 2009--it's 1970!  (Read 14376 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 3 December 2009--it's 1970!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »

Btw, Lufaphs was wondering about lengthy sets the other day. This one is def. up there--we're still going and it's 10:49, and I have no idea if Nature's Way is tune #10 or not. VHM.

Ummm, what's the under/over on Annalisa having been lurking?

Iron Man RULES!!!!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
10:56 and we're still going. This is def. one of the longest 10@10s ever. Wonder if AL has been following our convos again? Or just another coinkydink?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »

WOS "Iron Man."  Clumsy in every way, and I'm astonished that BS have the rep they do.

Beg to differ about the drum solo & outtro.  Might not be to your taste, but that is not clumsy.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »

Btw, Lufaphs was wondering about lengthy sets the other day. This one is def. up there--we're still going and it's 10:49, and I have no idea if Nature's Way is tune #10 or not. VHM.

Ummm, what's the under/over on Annalisa having been lurking?

Iron Man RULES!!!!

Lurking JINX (more or less)!!!

Now this is what I like in a 10@10: Quality AND quantity!!!  Who said size doesn't matter?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:54 AM »

WOS "Iron Man."  Clumsy in every way, and I'm astonished that BS have the rep they do.

Beg to differ about the drum solo & outtro.  Might not be to your taste, but that is not clumsy.

it also helps if you were 15 in 1970 ;)  I mean DMB (for one example) are, as musicians, not clumsy either, but I'll never like them -- but if I had been 15 in 1993/94... I'd've probably been a huge fan.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »

it also helps if you were 15 in 1970 ;)  I mean DMB (for one example) are, as musicians, not clumsy either, but I'll never like them -- but if I had been 15 in 1993/94... I'd've probably been a huge fan.

I was 6 1/2 in 1970, but then again I probably never heard Iron Man until I was 15, so maybe you have a point.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
AL just mentioned again that she wants some kind of forum where Fogheads can discuss 10@10. She said Twitter was a possibility -- hope she doesn't go there.  A 10@10 Facebook page, maybe?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »
one last BOS for the Little Green Bonus Track!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
AL just mentioned again that she wants some kind of forum where Fogheads can discuss 10@10. She said Twitter was a possibility -- hope she doesn't go there.  A 10@10 Facebook page, maybe?

Gee, maybe they can start a Yahoo group, and get Yahoo to sponsor the show, and....
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

Gee, maybe they can start a Yahoo group, and get Yahoo to sponsor the show, and....

Tee Hee. Actually, whether she goes for Twitter or Facebook, I'm sure the sales guys will jump right on it and try to get some kind of deal out of it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
10:56 and we're still going. This is def. one of the longest 10@10s ever. Wonder if AL has been following our convos again? Or just another coinkydink?

Mentioned our talk of set-length to AL via e-mail, and she swears it was total coincidence, she hasn't yet visited our board. She also mentioned to me her wish to start a discussion board on the KFOG site, or maybe via Twitter/FB. Wonder if she's hoping we'll offer our board as potential destination for foghead discussion. (Not sure I'm down with having all the Foghead riff-raff invading our quiet little corner here, putting their feet up on the furniture and drinking all our beer.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »

Mentioned our talk of set-length to AL via e-mail, and she swears it was total coincidence, she hasn't yet visited our board. She also mentioned to me her wish to start a discussion board on the KFOG site, or maybe via Twitter/FB. Wonder if she's hoping we'll offer our board as potential destination for foghead discussion. (Not sure I'm down with having all the Foghead riff-raff invading our quiet little corner here, putting their feet up on the furniture and drinking all our beer.)

I agree -- elitist that I am, I don't want the sort of Fogheads who vote every overplayed Katrina BOS hanging out here  ;)

KFOG already has a Facebook page and a Twit(ter) feed, so that seems the most logical way to go.

12/03/09 - Thursday!  Fresh out of the '60's...1970!!

1.  Grand Funk Railroad - I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home
(News:  The Beatles split)
   2.  Beatles - The Long & Winding Road
   3.  Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
(News:  Women's Lib)
   4.  Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight
   5.  The Five Stairsteps - O-O-H Child
   6.  Grateful Dead - Box of Rain
(TV:  The Flip Wilson Show-Geraldine!)
   7.  The Kinks - Lola
   8.  Michael Nesmith - Joanne (BOS)
   9.  Spirit - Nature's Way
(Movie:  They Call Me Mr. Tibbs)
  10.  Black Sabbath - Iron Man

BONUS TRACK:  George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »
Tinka - Any chance that you recorded this one?  It's 1:47 ET and we're not done - this set's entered "epic" territory.

Yikes to the burning Cuyahoga River.

Yes, I have it recorded, but I need to find some way to edit it down. The file is huge b/c I wasn't table to be at my desk during the set and the recording went on for about 3 hours. I'll look for a way to convert this from a QT movie to MP3 and get back to you all.

great set -- I'm Your Captain is a really weird song, like a horror movie, and he wants to get back to his home port of ...Detroit?? but then things get better and he is able to get closer to home by navigating Gitche Gumee.   I suppose Joanne was my BOS, although there were many candidates.  And even though we all love Jerry Garcia and all that, his vocals on Box Of Rain got a little warbly for my taste at times.  Then again, I suppose that *could* be part of his charm as a singer, right?  As a singer, he's a great guitarist!  Box of Pain, anyone?   :o
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:53:57 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »
Tinka - Any chance that you recorded this one?  It's 1:47 ET and we're not done - this set's entered "epic" territory.

Yes, I have it recorded, but I need to find some way to edit it down. The file is huge b/c I wasn't table to be at my desk during the set and the recording went on for about 3 hours. I'll look for a way to convert this from a QT movie to MP3 and get back to you all.

great set -- I'm Your Captain is a really weird song, like a horror movie, and he wants to get back to his home port of ...Detroit?? but then things get better and he is able to get closer to home by navigating Gitche Gumee.   I suppose Joanne was my BOS, although there were many candidates.  And even though we all love Jerry Garcia and all that, his vocals on Box Of Rain got a little warbly for my taste at times.  Then again, I suppose that *could* be part of his charm as a singer, right?  As a singer, he's a great guitarist!  Box of Pain, anyone?   :o
I'm too tired to take the bait!
 ;)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 05:27:57 PM »

I'm too tired to take the bait!
 ;)

haha, no offense meant to anyone w my post. I suppose I knew some reaction would happen here, but no big deal.  I like the Dead all right -- more or less -- I even saw them a couple times in Spring 85 at Hampton Roads (Jerry wore a red t-shirt!).  I understand the two shows I saw were actually pretty good ones, too.  Those of you who listen to live GD tapes might even have them.  I like JG, he's an icon and all that, but I dunno, man.. there were a couple times in that BOR recording today when he just wasn't cutting it for me.
~CPL593H~