Author Topic: 3 December 2009--it's 1970!  (Read 14372 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 3 December 2009--it's 1970!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 10:41:31 AM »
BOS for Phil and the boys' "Box of Rain".  Has the Dead ever been on 10at10 before?

Late-'70s shows up occasionally - "Alabama Getaway," "Althea," "China Cat Sunflower" - but I don't remember getting any American Beauty tracks before.

Not to mention the (seemingly) gazillion plays of "Hell in a Bucket" and "Touch of Grey" ::)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »
One more great segue: Flip Wilson in drag as Geraldine, into the Kinks Lola.

Can't understand why she walk like a woman but talks like a man.

"Da DEVIL made me do that segue!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »
WHOA!!!!!

BOS of BOSes to Nesmith's "Joanne," undoubtedly an ATBB.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »
BOS for Phil and the boys' "Box of Rain".  Has the Dead ever been on 10at10 before?

Late-'70s shows up occasionally - "Alabama Getaway," "Althea," "China Cat Sunflower" - but I don't remember getting any American Beauty tracks before.

We've heard Ripple, Uncle John's Band, and Friend o' the Deli* in '70 sets before, but Box is a bustout, per the DB.

*Jerry in his later years was definitely a "friend of the deli." Also of Royal Frank, a now-departed sausage emporium in San Rafael where he was fond of their kosher dogs, according to a picture they posted after his passing.

Oh. My. F***ing. God. BOSwhatever, Michael Nesmith "Joanne."
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »
Holy flaming mother of Pop!  uber-BOS6 Michael Nesmith and the First National Band, "Joanne". Gawd I love this one.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
Tinka - Any chance that you recorded this one?  It's 1:47 ET and we're not done - this set's entered "epic" territory.

Yikes to the burning Cuyahoga River.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
who was asking about record-length 10@10s?  LOL!

BOS7 "Nature's Way".

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
I like Spirit, but I've never liked "Nature's Way".
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Btw, Lufaphs was wondering about lengthy sets the other day. This one is def. up there--we're still going and it's 10:49, and I have no idea if Nature's Way is tune #10 or not. VHM.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »
Tinka - Any chance that you recorded this one?  It's 1:47 ET and we're not done - this set's entered "epic" territory.

Yikes to the burning Cuyahoga River.

Too bad Randy Newman's "Burn On" (which is about the Cuyahoga) came out a couple years later.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
“I’m Your Captain” is a huge sledgehammer for me on multiple levels, and I was thinking about it just last night.  I've mentioned that in 1979, between my Jr & Sr yrs of HS, I was an exchange student for the summer to West Germany.  The last night of the stay all 170 of us Amis (as the Germans called us) were in the city of Bremen (we were actually there for 5 days), and nobody wanted to go home.  So a dozen or so of us decided to stay up all night & long story shortened a bit, I wound up making out on the dance floor of a discotheque with a girl named Anne Thistleton from Parkersburg W. Va. (which is just across the Ohio River from Ohio).  By the luck of the draw, Anne had become best friends that summer with the girl she was always lumped together with alphabetically, Susie Thiele, who was from nearby Cincinnatti.  Anne was tall, blonde, blue-eyed, and very sharp, but Susie was blonde, very curvaceous and brown-eyed in that way that just kills you on a blonde, albeit a couple inches shorter.  So it didn't take much for me to swap with the 3rd person on their row of seats on the charter back to JFK, and I sat in the middle all the way back with these 2 babes & I stayed up all night again with the girls simultaneously sleeping on my shoulders.  Then we hit JFK, promised to keep in touch, etc.  But we really did.

Later that fall, I found out that my HS was going to have Thur & Fri off the week before Thanksgiving for a teachers’ conference, and it just so happened that Anne was planning a visit to Miami U. of Ohio (just outside of Cincy, alma mater of Ben Rothlis****er), and the Bearcats of Cincinnatti U. were playing their arch-rival in football in Miami that same Saturday.  Susie’s older sister went to Cincy, but her boyfriend was in a frat at Miami OH, so we had good tix waiting for us.  And to top it off, the Iggles were playing that Thursday night in Cincy (which was 2 weeks before the fateful Who concert there which I’m sure I’ve mentioned in the past).

Okay, back to Grand Funk.  We arranged a get-together in Cincy from Thurs evening to Sunday afternoon, and I hopped the for 8-hr Greyhound from St. Louis to Cincy.  The bus ran down I-70 to Indy before I had to change buses Cincy, and in at the transfer I wound up sitting next to another totally hot blonde, who turned out to be Don Felder’s cousin heading from Chicago to the show.  The Iggles show was awesome, and they debuted their “Joe Walsh for President” material, and also “Seven Bridges Road”, which got overplayed for a while, but was breathtaking, live.  The next day we chilled for a bit & then headed out to Miami OH, where I was about to have my very first taste of college life.  Anne was a Nat’l Merit scholar and thus had an official hostess for the weekend, Susie had some older friend from her HS to stay with & I was being put up in the frat house with her sister’s boyfriend.  And somewhere along the line that night the two girls and I wound up sitting in a dorm room with Susie’s friend, getting stoned, and listening to the friend’s boyfriend’s roommate who was an aspiring bassist play “I’m Your Captain” several times through with the stereo on full blast.  Talk about an indelible memory.

And this was the first of only a single handful of Div I NCAA football games I ever attended*, and now Cincinnatti has an outside chance to play for the national championship, or at least go undefeated.

*Dave, I think every other D-I game I’ve ever attended has been in the guise of pretending to be an LSJUMB member.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:59:11 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
They call me MISTAH Tibbs!

and yet another epic: "Iron man"!  BOS8 and I am utterly exhausted.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »
Btw, Lufaphs was wondering about lengthy sets the other day. This one is def. up there--we're still going and it's 10:49, and I have no idea if Nature's Way is tune #10 or not. VHM.

Guess it wasn't. I AM IRON MAN!!!.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »

Guess it wasn't. I AM IRON MAN!!!.

Ozzy did this (with Metallica!) on that RnR HOF concert the other night.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
WOS "Iron Man."  Clumsy in every way, and I'm astonished that BS have the rep they do.