Author Topic: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general  (Read 68615 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »
This article is about radio in general, but it could pertain to 10@10:

Whereas some in the industry invoke the word “stable” to describe its condition, Scott does not equate that to being “healthy.” Since his adulation for the medium extends to when he was five years old, his desire is that it should be better than stable. “Part of that healthiness will come from kicking it,” he suggests. “Hopefully, the future is bright for radio — but — those in charge must wake up a bit. They have to realize that there are so many other methods to hear product. Even my mom streams online. She knows how to type in the Righteous Brothers and create her own station. Even under the context of a specialty show, you cannot just continue to play it safe. You must start to have fun and provide Olivia Newton-John listeners with an experience that will occasionally keep them away from other entertainment platforms. I do not know why some program directors are so scared to play certifiably huge number one records. When people hear Olivia Newton-John’s ‘Let’s Get Physical,’ they smile and remember the video. I do not know of one person who has a negative opinion of the artist. She is beautiful, her songs were cool, and there are tons of them. Still though, I do not know of one classic hits or oldies station that plays ‘Let’s Get Physical.’ That part is a shame.”

obviously, that's the way I feel about radio too, but (sadly) there ARE people who hate Olivia Newton-John, or Tony Orlando & Dawn, or Air Supply or you-name-it. They're a minority, but they're loud. Dave Morey used to have to deal with them all the time -- They screamed when he played ABBA or when he played disco. The guy who called him one morning during a Soul Patrol and yelled "Soul Patrol SUCKS!"  Fogheads traditionally have been anti-pop (and somewhat anti-country unless Neil Young is involved). Lots of rock fans hate every other genre, and so on down the line. It's a shame, but it's true, and consultants (unfortunately) listen to those people.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
Playing songs outside of our format puts us in the ditch. Traveling there soon becomes scary, so we head back to the middle of the road. It's a bore, but it's comfortable, so we stay.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
Dylan's Simple Twist of Fate is technically a bust-out, as it has only appeared once in 2007 as a Bonus Track.
that's kind of astounding, but I've learned not to be surprised by anything anymore.
That surprises me a little, too, but what Mike said.

I'm curious though: what Blood on the Tracks tunes (besides Tangled Up in Blue, natch) have made it onto 10@10? I think Idiot Wind has, and I remember Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts a year or so ago -- any others?

Oh, the joy of text files!  A few minutes of manipulation with some standard utilities and viola!
The current episode of data masturbation, titled Possibly More Than You Ever Wanted To
Know About Bob Dylan Appearances In Recorded 10@10 History

While there have been 117 instances of Bob Dylan songs being played on 10@10 proper,
only 35 different titles have appeared.  Out of the seven Dylan Bonus Tracks, only one,
Shelter From the Storm, has never been on 10@10.  Four other selections from Blood
On The Tracks have been on the show:  Tangled Up in Blue, Simple Twist of Fate,
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts, and Buckets of Rain.

Six Dylan songs have won BOS:  Girl From The North Country, It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only
Bleeding)
, Mozambique, Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again,
Tangled Up In Blue,  and Things Have Changed.

Complete song list with counts:

All Along the Watchtower
Ballad of a Thin Man
Blowin' in the Wind
Buckets Of Rain
Dignity
Everything Is Broken  [13]
Forever Young  [4]
Girl From The North Country  [4]
Gotta Serve Somebody
Highway 61 Revisited  [2]
Hurricane  [3]
If Not For You
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)  [3]
Just Like a Woman  [2]
Lay Lady Lay  [4]
Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat  [2]
Like a Rolling Stone  [3]
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
Love Minus Zero/No Limit
Maggie's Farm  [3]
Make You Feel My Love
Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine
Mozambique  [3]
Political World  [5]
Positively 4th Street  [3]
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35  [9]
Silvio  [7]
Simple Twist of Fate
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again  [3]
Subterranean Homesick Blues  [3]
Sweetheart Like You
Tangled Up in Blue  [11]
The Times They Are a-Changin'  [7]
Things Have Changed  [4]
Union Sundown  [6]

BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Everything is Broken
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Hurricane
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - If Not For You
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Mozambique
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Shelter From the Storm
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue

ETA: Whoops! I missed the following birthday celebration set. I've updated the song list and counts accordingly.

5/24/05 - Tuesday! It's Bob Dylan's Birthday!!

1. Like a Rolling Stone
2. The Times They Are a-Changin'
3. All Along the Watchtower
4. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
5. Tangled Up in Blue
6. Positively 4th Street
7. Hurricane
8. Subterranian Homesick Blues
9. Silvio
10.Forever Young
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:01:03 AM by dischead »
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
Lowest Common Denominator 9, Creativity 0
we did "go to eleven" (Extra Innings, sez AL),  tho', so there's that.  ;)

But yeah, I expected nothing out of the ordinary so therefore I wasn't disappointed.
thought the walk-up tunes made it more interesting that it would've been w cliched BB songs. liked the MGMT a lot.

but overall, is 10at10 ever really anything out of the ordinary?

It used to be.  Dave seemed to have a lot of creative license with the show.  I'm often a little
surprised when I browse through the files and see some of the theme sets he did.  I'll have to
pull some of the raw data out for a couple of the years for people to see.  That said, there was
certain material that he never played.

I think many people were concerned about what Annalisa was going to do with the show, but
fears were quickly allayed.  If anything, she was more open to a wider range of requests.  She
also seemed to have significant creative input with regard to theme sets, clips, and even show
format -- for example, the frequent "two-fers" in '60s shows.  She really put her heart into it
and did lots of "homework" for 10@10.

Alas, with "the change" in July 2011, her input has clearly been circumscribed.  While her
production of the show has remained professional and top-notch, there was a spirit of
adventure that is absent now. And although there has been some tinkering with KFOG's
programming, the general direction and influence on 10@10 is still the same, and thus our
current malaise.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
There's a rumor circulating that they're bringing back the Saturday morning 10@10 marathon.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
There's a rumor circulating that they're bringing back the Saturday morning 10@10 marathon.

I really hope this is true. Yeah, I know the shows are available online and such, but something about having them easily available while I'm out and about on a Saturday morning would be reassuring.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »

The past two or three years have largely cured me of missing the Saturday morning marathon.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »

The past two or three years have largely cured me of missing the Saturday morning marathon.

It strikes me as an odd bit of backtracking (maybe even desperation) on KFOG's part (they hit a new ratings low last month, with a 1.8 ).  When the show was at its peak in both the Morey and early-AL eras, being able to hear shows on Saturday morning was essential. Once DC took over, notsomuch, although I shared the disappointment most Fogheads had because his decision seemed like corporate BS -- "reinforcing the KFOG brand" or whatever he said at the time. And with the Soundcloud version being available, well, not sure what the point of a marathon is. Unless Soundcloud is going away (to save money?).

ETA: this rumor originated on the 'snipes FB page, BTW -- someone said they heard Webster mention it on the air. But since AL is off we may not get confirmation until she reappears. Nothing on the KFOG website so far. 

ETA2: it occurs to me that 4 hours of 10@10 from 7 to 11 means they can be automated for those hours and not have to pay Rosalie to come in on Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:38:26 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »

I really hope this is true. Yeah, I know the shows are available online and such, but something about having them easily available while I'm out and about on a Saturday morning would be reassuring.

Just heard Renee mention that this is happening. So I guess they're just trying to pretend that DC never happened. Kinda like he did with that Twitch bozo.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
Just heard Renee mention that this is happening. So I guess they're just trying to pretend that DC never happened. Kinda like he did with that Twitch bozo.

To really act like DC never happened, Annalisa would have to go back to playing a lot more
requests/bust-outs.  We've been getting a bit of that, but nowhere near as many as we did
at first.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
Someone on FB was talking about the all-10@10-all-the-time channel on KFOG HD2 -- I thought they'd pulled the plug on that a while ago, but apparently it's still going with old Dave Morey-era shows. Anyone here have HD2 in the car?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
Got to hear 1980 again this morning (fave set of the week for me) followed by the '75 excursion I missed yesterday. Nice.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »
I was also thinking that, besides the obvious commercial radio constraints, the other factor in 10@10 stagnation is lack of DJ time. It doesn't seem possible to produce new clips and play a high rate of debut songs during the DJ's regular work hours. To find those new clips and fish out the new songs, a DJ has to use her own personal time, something Renee, for example, never did, and it showed. It seems like one could create an entire show while also performing one's other DJ duties by cutting and pasting 7-8 tried and true favorites from past set lists and recycling all the clips. AL began by devoting what seemed like several hours a day of her personal time to crafting original 10@10's, but doesn't seem to be doing that anymore, which, at this point in her tenure, is perfectly understandable.

It's obvious that AL isn't spending as much time on 10@10, and I can't fault her at all for that.
AL 1.0 seemed to have a lot of freedom to construct sets as she pleased, and no doubt it was
a lot of fun to assemble those sonic collages.  But when someone else is standing over your
shoulder, dictating to a large extent what pieces to use in your collage, then the fun gets drained
out and it's just another job.  I think a lot of us have been in that position with other things.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2015, 10:38:02 AM »
I know this is an old gripe, but now that the marathon is back, I wish the order in which they run the shows wasn't so haphazard. It's like they throw 'em in the air and see where they land.  Caught Thursday's excellent '76 set at 9am but then at 10 we got the '87 "encore" from Monday. You'd think reruns would get the early slots since they're, well, reruns.  If they'd settle on airing them in Mon-Fri order every weekend, I'd set my alarm for a set I really wanted to hear again (this despite them being on Soundcloud). But this way I usually catch the 9:00 set and then go off to listen to something else.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »
I know this is an old gripe, but now that the marathon is back, I wish the order in which they run the shows wasn't so haphazard. It's like they throw 'em in the air and see where they land.  Caught Thursday's excellent '76 set at 9am but then at 10 we got the '87 "encore" from Monday. You'd think reruns would get the early slots since they're, well, reruns.  If they'd settle on airing them in Mon-Fri order every weekend, I'd set my alarm for a set I really wanted to hear again (this despite them being on Soundcloud). But this way I usually catch the 9:00 set and then go off to listen to something else.

'Twas ever thus...

Once I kept a log of the order for a few weeks, but I could never discern any pattern.  I think they
have an intern drop them on the floor, and however they get picked up is how they are played.

When I was recording Dave Morey's shows, I sometimes needed the third bite at the apple
provided by the Saturday marathon.  I'd set my alarm for just before six, and start the tape as
the first show began, just in case it was the one I wanted.  Chances are it wasn't, and I would
re-cue the tape, set the alarm for just before seven, and try to get a few more winks.  The
process would repeat as necessary.