Author Topic: Friday 4/8 - 1967 coming soon  (Read 24510 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Friday 4/8 - 1967 coming soon
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2005, 10:43:46 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "mshray"
And The Producers in its original Brooksified form! Dave put in some time editing this together, methinks.

Anyone who says this clip is going on too long gets slapped.

Need we doubt that you'll digitally archive this one, Urth?

Actually I'm supposed to be at the ballgame tonight (weather permitting). So if I could get some backup coverage, that'd probably be good. This is likely to get replayed at 7:00 (6:15?) at the beginning of the marathon, when I'm still dead to the world.

I just called Dave (& quite obviously I wasn't the only one) and he promised that it'll appear LAST!!!

OK, cool! I will try to drag my ass out by 8 or so and make sure I get it (wouldn't mind getting yesterday's set either).

re: yesterday's set, YES PLEASE!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: BOS2 Jackie Wilson
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2005, 10:44:17 AM »
[now that Big Rick is playing the BOS winner during his show, will there be any more ties, let alone 10-way ties? I could maybe see him playing two songs, but I don't think he's gonna want to recreate the entire set.

They are really starting to sound a bit desperate to get folks to listen outside of 10@10.  I'm wondering how the Bone's latest format tweak will affect KFOG.  Surely adding more Puddle of Mudd to the Bone's playlist will alienate some older listeners, who will possibly gravitate to KFOG?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2005, 10:45:24 AM »
From a marketing POV, the station has been heavily promoting Dave and 10@10 via all other shows. Set's play 3x/week, Annalisa, Big Rick, sporadic ads. Wonder if ratings dropped at some point.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Hey! Gazzy! Leave that Rita alone!
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2005, 10:47:03 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
BOS3 to the tragic Jackie W.  A magnificent song, though it couldn't quite stand Rita Coolidge's evisceration some years later.
two completely different songs.

No, same song, two completely different versions. Or is that what you meant?
yes indeedily, that is what I meant.  Jackie's version has such a 'love for life' aspect, and quite gospel in it's tone.  Rita's is a languid, sexually relaxing sort of song.  Totally different songs as far as how they would be applied in different situations.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2005, 10:52:39 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
From a marketing POV, the station has been heavily promoting Dave and 10@10 via all other shows. Set's play 3x/week, Annalisa, Big Rick, sporadic ads. Wonder if ratings dropped at some point.

overall, KFOG's ratings went up a few tenths-of-a-point in the recent book, as did the Bone's. (the Bone actually had their Best. Book. Ever. which made the format tweak kinda puzzling.)  But clearly KFOG does best in the mornings, and while I can't blame 'em for wanting to make it carry over, it's a bit... unsubtle to keep hammering it home.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: BOS2 Jackie Wilson
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2005, 11:01:06 AM »
They are really starting to sound a bit desperate to get folks to listen outside of 10@10.  

I've been having those same thoughts, ever since Annalisa's bonus track thing came along a couple of weeks ago. (And I wonder how Annalisa feels about having to use the show before hers to help boost her ratings?)

But I guess that's how marketing works these days: leverage your strongest products to create carryover to the weaker ones. And 10@10 has been KFOG's signature franchise for years now. Are we destined to one day hear "all 10@10s all the time" on KFOG? Or will they call it K-MOREY by then?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2005, 11:15:59 AM »

overall, KFOG's ratings went up a few tenths-of-a-point in the recent book, as did the Bone's. (the Bone actually had their Best. Book. Ever. which made the format tweak kinda puzzling.)  But clearly KFOG does best in the mornings, and while I can't blame 'em for wanting to make it carry over, it's a bit... unsubtle to keep hammering it home.

When I was chatting with Greg at Great America (Spring Break) I mentioned that it seemed like more of a BONE event than a KFOG event, especially the previous year.  He said yeah, and when I asked him if there was any sibling rivalry or anything between the sister stations he said, "Well, we're all supposed to be one big happy family & mutually supportive, but yeah, there's some resentment.  They just don't have the numbers (ratings)."

As for the KSJO listeners thrown out into the wilderness, where else they gonna go besides The BONE?  They sure as hell aren't going to enjoy Live 105 much.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2005, 11:32:33 AM »

When I was chatting with Greg at Great America (Spring Break) I mentioned that it seemed like more of a BONE event than a KFOG event, especially the previous year.  He said yeah, and when I asked him if there was any sibling rivalry or anything between the sister stations he said, "Well, we're all supposed to be one big happy family & mutually supportive, but yeah, there's some resentment.  They just don't have the numbers (ratings)."

As for the KSJO listeners thrown out into the wilderness, where else they gonna go besides The BONE?  They sure as hell aren't going to enjoy Live 105 much.

here are the recent ratings:

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=228&RY=2005&RQ=1&MP=2&OTHER=2&MN=San%20Francisco&MS=CA&MR=4&12P=5850900&UP=3/30/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=7.5&HPER=17.7&OPER=&NSD=4/27/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

interestingly, both the Bone and NYC's K-Rock tweaked their formats on the same day and are now quite similar, but whereas The Bone added newer stuff to skew younger, K-Rock (which was sorta KSJO-like) added older stuff ('80s hair bands and overplayed "classics" like Queen) to skew older. So they arrived at the same place from diff directions.  Apparently some experts see what K-Rock did as a future trend: while conventional wisdom says stations need to keep going after younger listeners (who are more easily influenced by advertising), there is now a school of thought that says: younger listeners are abandoning radio, don't have the habit of listening and are becoming "the iPod generation".  There will eventually be a majority of people in the marketplace who never listen to radio, at least not to hear music. So in order to increase your ratings cume, you gotta hold on to us older folks.  :wink: