Author Topic: Monday 3/21  (Read 9251 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 01:47:42 PM »
Mike, "Magneto & Titanium Man" alert, only it's quarter to 2 not quarter to 3.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 02:31:10 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"

You're a clever bit of crumpet, you are.  Up for a bit of How's Yer Father? :wink:

"who'syerdaddy?" i don't rightly know what you mean by "how's yer father?" is that some sort of monkey reference?

I think "How's Yer Fathers" is a play on "Our Fathers," or the recitations one undertakes in Catholic penance alongside the Hail Marys (which undoubtedly have some rhyming-slang of their own).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 02:33:06 PM »
P.S.  My speaking/writing style becomes really bizarre if one imagings Bobby Womack actually saying these things.  I wonder if the next Comedy Central show could consist of chat-room musings vocalized by (B-list?) celebs who also serve as the avatars.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 02:46:39 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
P.S.  My speaking/writing style becomes really bizarre if one imagings Bobby Womack actually saying these things.  I wonder if the next Comedy Central show could consist of chat-room musings vocalized by (B-list?) celebs who also serve as the avatars.

i've been imagining bobby quoting your sig all day.

Gaz at da Voice

Monday 3/21
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 05:55:51 PM »
By the way, Mark - what on earth is the *real* meaning of your latest headline?  "Lot of women distressing" -- I can't come up with a serious reading, only the joke one.  Help a brother out!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
literal meaning
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 08:38:56 PM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"
By the way, Mark - what on earth is the *real* meaning of your latest headline?  "Lot of women distressing" -- I can't come up with a serious reading, only the joke one.  Help a brother out!
I presume it's about the 'lot' of women, as in the current state they are in that is distressing.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 08:56:17 PM »

You're a clever bit of crumpet, you are.  Up for a bit of How's Yer Father? :wink:

"who'syerdaddy?" i don't rightly know what you mean by "how's yer father?" is that some sort of monkey reference?

I think "How's Yer Fathers" is a play on "Our Fathers," or the recitations one undertakes in Catholic penance alongside the Hail Marys (which undoubtedly have some rhyming-slang of their own).

OK the story behind "How's Yer Father"...  It means sex, it's Brit slang (though not rhyming).  Supposedly it dates back to Victorian times, when women wore big hoop skirts. Respectable young ladies would go to afternoon teas where they'd be introduced to respectable young men. The story goes that sometimes the girls' fathers would hide underneath those big skirts to safeguard their daughters' virtue.  So if a young man wanted to hook up, he'd ask the young lady "How's your father?" and if the coast was clear she'd reply, "He's fine -- he's at home. Thank you for asking."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 11:42:20 PM »

OK the story behind "How's Yer Father"...  It means sex, it's Brit slang (though not rhyming).  Supposedly it dates back to Victorian times, when women wore big hoop skirts. Respectable young ladies would go to afternoon teas where they'd be introduced to respectable young men. The story goes that sometimes the girls' fathers would hide underneath those big skirts to safeguard their daughters' virtue.  So if a young man wanted to hook up, he'd ask the young lady "How's your father?" and if the coast was clear she'd reply, "He's fine -- he's at home. Thank you for asking."

Ah--that would explain the title of an album of B-sides that Elvis Costello put out in the mid-80s in Britain--"Ten Bloody Marys and Ten How's Your Fathers." (Over here it was released as "Out of Our Idiot.")
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005, 06:50:48 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Ah--that would explain the title of an album of B-sides that Elvis Costello put out in the mid-80s in Britain--"Ten Bloody Marys and Ten How's Your Fathers." (Over here it was released as "Out of Our Idiot.")

wow. there are two interesting bits! how very bizarre.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005, 07:29:07 AM »

Indeed, and I was gonna mention that but couldn't remember the exact config of the title.  The US version is a bit different, isn't it? I have it at home on vinyl and among the gems are his cover of Yoko's "Walking on Thin Ice", which I don't think was on the Brit version, tho' I could be  wrong.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 10:10:10 AM »

Indeed, and I was gonna mention that but couldn't remember the exact config of the title.  The US version is a bit different, isn't it? I have it at home on vinyl and among the gems are his cover of Yoko's "Walking on Thin Ice", which I don't think was on the Brit version, tho' I could be  wrong.

Oops, another mis-remembering from me. Turns out that Ten Bloody Marys was the Brit version of Taking Liberties, not Out of Our Idiot.

So, that explains why Walking on Thin Ice would not have been on the Brit version.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday 3/21
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 11:51:08 AM »
Oops, another mis-remembering from me. Turns out that Ten Bloody Marys was the Brit version of Taking Liberties, not Out of Our Idiot.

So, that explains why Walking on Thin Ice would not have been on the Brit version.

Ah, now it all makes sense.  I remember seeing "10 Bloody Marys..." in London in '83 or '84 I I surely would've bought it if it were stuff I didn't have (but I owned "Liberties" so I left it). "10 Bloody marys" is a better title, tho.