Author Topic: KBCO, 6/02/06: 1984  (Read 4884 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KBCO, 6/02/06: 1984
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 09:51:38 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Guilty Displeasure: Chrissie almost-but-not-quite rescuing one of the worst soul lyrics of the '70s.

Really?  I thought this was one of the most daring lyrics of the early 70's.  AMG says it's the first chart-topper to deal with domestic violence.

Had it been about a guy beating up his woman, perhaps. But here's this guy moaning about how this chick put him in the hospital because he came home late one too many times...  I mean, maybe it's because I was a white kid living in a whiter-than-white environment at the time, but the song struck me as immensely silly.

Umm, excuse me?  The person bandaged from head to foot is a 'her'.  My take is that she finally stood up for herself, and then he beat the crap out of her.

see my previous post -- Chrissie may have changed the lyrics, but the orig was as I stated.

Mark's Edit:  I deleted my comment two seconds after posting it because I suddenly realized we were talking about two different things. You apparently had already clicked 'quote' but had not hit 'post comment' yet in which case I couldn't have deleted it.  Interesting timing, don't think that has happened here before.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »
Guilty Displeasure: Chrissie almost-but-not-quite rescuing one of the worst soul lyrics of the '70s.

Really?  I thought this was one of the most daring lyrics of the early 70's.  AMG says it's the first chart-topper to deal with domestic violence.

Had it been about a guy beating up his woman, perhaps. But here's this guy moaning about how this chick put him in the hospital because he came home late one too many times...  I mean, maybe it's because I was a white kid living in a whiter-than-white environment at the time, but the song struck me as immensely silly.

ETA: Dunno where you got the lyrics you posted, but the Persuaders orig version was sung by a guy: "Here I am in the hospital", not "I see her in the hospital"

I got them from the Pretenders website, those are the lyrics we just heard.  But I see the confusion, Chrissy did a little editing when she recorded it.  I think in her version 'she' stood up for herself & 'he' beat the crap out of her for doing so.  Or else 'she' attempeted suicide by jumping off the roof but didn't quite die.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 10:40:50 PM »

ETA: Dunno where you got the lyrics you posted, but the Persuaders orig version was sung by a guy: "Here I am in the hospital", not "I see her in the hospital"

I got them from the Pretenders website, those are the lyrics we just heard.  But I see the confusion, Chrissy did a little editing when she recorded it.  I think in her version 'she' stood up for herself & 'he' beat the crap out of her for doing so.  Or else 'she' attempeted suicide by jumping off the roof but didn't quite die.

In what has to be the "TANC" of the week, I'm listening to JJ on KPOO, and he just played the Persuaders' follow-up to "Thin Line...", a song called "Love Gonna Pack Up (And Walk Out)", which I'd never heard before. No domestic violence in this one.  Not especially memorable either; their best song remains "Some Guys Have All the Luck", later covered by Rod Stewart.  Too bad he didn't try "Thin Line..." -- the idea of Rod in the hospital "bandaged from feet to head" after having had the crap beat out of him by Britt Ekland or Rachel Hunter is quite amusing. :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 03:51:54 PM »
Today's year: 1984

Style Council/You're the Best Thing
Neville Brothers/Fever
MOVIE CLIP FROM: Revenge of the Nerds
Depeche Mode/People are People
John Lennon/Nobody Told Me