Author Topic: The Cheezy Gossip Thread  (Read 189424 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Buckaroo Beej's Gossip Round-up
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »
I suppose this could've gone in the Election thread too. John Edwards has admitted to the rumored extramarital affair (the story has been "bubbling under" the MSM radar for months) but denies he's the father of the woman's child.  He'll be on Nightline tonite:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5441195&page=1

And so Republican Smear Campaign 2008 gets underway. One less vice presidential hopeful to worry about.

Well, god knows McCain/Obama is getting ugly. But this is in another category for me. A "smear" is, generally, something untrue or at least exaggerated. This is something Edwards DID. And he lied about it. Repeatedly. I'm rather angry, actually. Did he think this would not have come out, had he become the nominee? I mean, jeezus!  Bill & Monica all over again. WTF was he THINKING???
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »
I suppose this could've gone in the Election thread too. John Edwards has admitted to the rumored extramarital affair (the story has been "bubbling under" the MSM radar for months) but denies he's the father of the woman's child.  He'll be on Nightline tonite:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5441195&page=1

And so Republican Smear Campaign 2008 gets underway. One less vice presidential hopeful to worry about.

Well, god knows McCain/Obama is getting ugly. But this is in another category for me. A "smear" is, generally, something untrue or at least exaggerated. This is something Edwards DID. And he lied about it. Repeatedly. I'm rather angry, actually. Did he think this would not have come out, had he become the nominee? I mean, jeezus!  Bill & Monica all over again. WTF was he THINKING???

OK, point taken on the definition of a smear. The whole swift boat mess, for example, four years ago.

But that said, I'm guessing we'll see any number of embarassing/incriminating/revelations made about politicians/aides on both sides of the upcoming election in the next few months. Just hope the Dems are prepared to give as good as they get this time around. This "taking the high road" stuff has not done them any favors in the last couple elections, so if mudslinging becomes a tactic of the right again, they need to dish it right back.

BTW, aren't the party conventions happening a lot later than usual this year? I seem to recall they used to be in July, or early August at the latest. (I recall hearing Mario Cuomo's famous "city on a hill" speech on TV the same night as an incredible Dead show at the Greek in July of '84--I'm sure Geoff knows which one I'm talking about.) This year the Dems meet in late August, and the GOP convention is the first four days of September. I know the nominees are all but sewn up, but still, why so late?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:50:37 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »
The headline reads:  "It's a boy for Clay Aiken".  And I thought, this could go several ways.
BAHAHAHA - nicely played lead-in.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
BTW, aren't the party conventions happening a lot later than usual this year? I seem to recall they used to be in July, or early August at the latest. (I recall hearing Mario Cuomo's famous "city on a hill" speech on TV the same night as an incredible Dead show at the Greek in July of '84--I'm sure Geoff knows which one I'm talking about.) This year the Dems meet in late August, and the GOP convention is the first four days of September. I know the nominees are all but sewn up, but still, why so late?

Indeed, I remember as a kid/teen, it was always July or August. '68 is the first one I really paid attention to.  4 years ago the Repugs did Sept because they were in NYC and they wanted a 9/11 tie-in. Guess they decided Sept was their, er, lucky month. ::)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 08, 2008, 09:12:24 PM »
As for the Edwards fuckery, I'm still processing my thoughts on this, but it seems worth noting that (a) infidelity may be stupid, but it's not a crime; it's really a personal matter; and (b) McCain may not want to make too too much of this, lest people start belaboring the fact that he cheated on his first wife and, while she was recovering from a disfiguring accident, dumped her for a much younger heiress.

I'd go off on a tangent about monogamy being overrated anyway, but that's a subject for another day.  But I am, like many of you, very disappointed in Edwards for lying about this, and yes, for potentially imperiling his party in the process.

But does this at least mean that Ann Coulter won't call him a "faggot" again?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 08, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »
As for the Edwards fuckery, I'm still processing my thoughts on this, but it seems worth noting that (a) infidelity may be stupid, but it's not a crime; it's really a personal matter; and (b) McCain may not want to make too too much of this, lest people start belaboring the fact that he cheated on his first wife and, while she was recovering from a disfiguring accident, dumped her for a much younger heiress.

I'd go off on a tangent about monogamy being overrated anyway, but that's a subject for another day.  But I am, like many of you, very disappointed in Edwards for lying about this, and yes, for potentially imperiling his party in the process.

But does this at least mean that Ann Coulter won't call him a "faggot" again?
Ay yi yi yi yi. Geez.... All I can do is shake my head. Definitely not criminal. Stupid? It's what ___% (fill in the percent) of men do. Some women want it for their minutes of fame (paging Monica) and most women affiliated with the men in question seem to put up with it. Life. It sells papers/magazines/gossip rags.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
Wanna buy Cher's Malibu house? Only 45 mil...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/17/RE6R127NIN.DTL&type=realestate

Doesn't say how many boytoys come with it. But if you can afford $45M for a house, I guess boytoys won't be a problem.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 29, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
David Duchovny in rehab for... sex addiction.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=29661

Gives new meaning to that "David Duchovny, Why Won't You Love Me?" song.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:10 PM »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 24, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »
Like, OMG! (and TANC): Clay Aiken comes out:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=30716

I thought you already knew that when you sent out the Bert and Ernie thing...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 25, 2008, 07:49:21 AM »
Like, OMG! (and TANC): Clay Aiken comes out:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=30716

I thought you already knew that when you sent out the Bert and Ernie thing...

Nope -- that's why I thought Hartlaub's comment was funny/audacious. Guess he'd already seen People.

ETA: someone on Outsports suggested that instead of a "dead pool", there should be a "gay pool" every year, where you can predict who comes out/gets outed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:27:57 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:44 AM »
ETA: someone on Outsports suggested that instead of a "dead pool", there should be a "gay pool" every year, where you can predict who comes out/gets outed.

I'd have been impressed with anyone who had the Lohan on their list.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
Amy Winehouse figures out she is, shockingly, a mess.  Almost as shocking as Clay Aiken coming out.

http://music.msn.com/music/hotgossip/9-29-08_4/?GT1=28102

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »
Surprise (not): Madonna and Guy Ritchie getting divorced
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-madonna16-2008oct16,0,5794947.story
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:21:53 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
The couple from Once, who sang the Oscar-winning "Falling Slowly", are no longer a couple:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/27/once-couple-splits-in-rea_n_161152.html

I was surprised to learn that there's an 18-year age diff between them (he's 38, she's 20) and he's known her since she was 12. Er...