Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102597 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3480 on: June 27, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
Punched up KFOG in the car this afternoon and Irish Greg was interviewing some stoner who was at Levi's Stadium to hang around outside and hear the concert from there because, y'know, no tix. It was stellar radio, let me tell ya.

A paranoid thought: what if this weekend's Fare-Thee-Well to the Dead is also a Fare-Thee-Well to KFOG? I mean they're gonna be running the recording of the concert late tomorrow nite... and that could segue easily into a format switch.  They *are* running promos for the Monday Morning Show but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in radio these days.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »
So, apparently NoName is on a road trip to Chicago for the Soldiers Field shows. -- His "Deadification" will be complete, I guess, and they can stop doing that silly feature.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »
latest "Fogheads for the Old Format" hilarity: the guy trying to find out what song that is on the Disneyland commercial.  Well, it's a young female singer covering "Forever Young"-- which that guy had NO IDEA was a Dylan tune.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: July 06, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
So, apparently NoName is on a road trip to Chicago for the Soldiers Field shows. -- His "Deadification" will be complete, I guess, and they can stop doing that silly feature.

so of course this turned out to be B.S. -- NoName was photoshopped into pics of various landmarks; he was in fact in his own backyard all week, on vacay.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: July 08, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
this morning, roughly an hour apart (5:50 and 6:50, apx) they played 2 Bowie songs from the same friggin' LP -- "Modern Love" and "China Girl". Sheesh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
I see KFOG is *finally* playing the new Beck tune, which was # on the Triple-A chart some 2 months ago.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: August 13, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
Has the KFOG stream gone to shit this morning, or is it just me? It plays for about 15 seconds and then buffers for 30, trying to figure out if it's my internet or their crappy technology.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: August 13, 2015, 07:33:37 PM »
Has the KFOG stream gone to shit this morning, or is it just me? It plays for about 15 seconds and then buffers for 30, trying to figure out if it's my internet or their crappy technology.

Hmmm... looks like my orig reply to this post disappeared.  People have been complaining about the new improved KFOG website generally, as well as the stream. But guess what? The reason there's now a link to Rdio on the KFOG page is that Cumulus owns part of Rdio... and Rdio is beginning to stream actual broadcast radio stations (to compete with iHeart), so I suspect the Rdio stream of KFOG is coming soon.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: August 13, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »

Hmmm... looks like my orig reply to this post disappeared.  People have been complaining about the new improved KFOG website generally, as well as the stream. But guess what? The reason there's now a link to Rdio on the KFOG page is that Cumulus owns part of Rdio... and Rdio is beginning to stream actual broadcast radio stations (to compete with iHeart), so I suspect the Rdio stream of KFOG is coming soon.

I expect you're right. I just read this article on our site and came to the same conclusion. It more or less says the same, and coincidentally uses KFOG in the screenshot that accompanies it:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/listen-to-free-live-terrestrial-radio-on-rdio/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: August 21, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
I'd always assumed that the "Mind the Gap" that airs at 6:15 and the one that airs at 7:45 were different. Turns out they're the same one repeated twice. I realize Morning Shows are by nature fragmented; few people other than stay-at-home moms or folks with long commutes by car hear the entire 4 hours, but still it seems odd to play the same segment twice, 90 mins apart. I heard the 6:15 airing yesterday and happened to get in the car at 7:30 and there it was again. Hit the search button right quick.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
KFOG had added this one to rotay -- this guy was their big "discovery" from Outside Lands this year.  Retro-soul done by an actual black guy for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTrKkqE9p1o

Meanwhile, the Beck song "Dreams", which KFOG finally started playing recently, is in it's NINTH week at #1 on the Triple-A chart.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:47:41 PM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:08 PM »

Howdy all -- yes, the website changed again, so I'm working on a new way to scrape 10@10 listings. Ugh, I can't just get a single page anymore. :-{

Anyways, speaking of Rdio, have you heard the stupid commercials they're running for it? It starts off:

"Do you remember the old days, when families used to gather around the radio? Sure there's all kinds of streaming audio, MP3s, blah blah blah, but there's something about *live radio"... blah blah blah. Listen to live radio on RDIO."  (Which is by the way the stupidest domain name ever if you're going to have to sell it on the actual radio.)

Ok um... I'm 45. My family never gathered around the radio. I would venture to guess that even those of you into your 50s or 60s never did either. I mean, wasn't that a thing in the 40s or 50s?

At any rate, it's not like anybody over 40-50 is in KFOG's target demo anyways, are we?

So who wrote this ad? So confusing! So weird. Ugh.

Yeah, digging the Leon Bridges tune -- yes, weird hearing soul done by an actual black guy and also an American (Ft. Worth, TX) and not a Brit! Speaking of black guys that rock, I wish KFOG would get behind Vintage Trouble: http://www.vintagetrouble.com/

Saw them *kill* at the first Bottle Rock during a tough early afternoon spot as well as a late-night "secret show". Then they did it again at Oakland Art & Soul. Just amazing performers.

However looking at Leon Bridges's upcoming tour dates (and knowing Vintage Trouble's history) it seems like America isn't ready for a black rock/soul, so they have to gain popularity in Europe, Netherlands, etc.

On the other hand, Renee was mentioning Leon Bridge's Filmore show in Nov is totally sold out, presumably on the strength of the Outside Lands performance. Well good for him.

(Friends at Apple got to see him at a "private concert" a week or two back. Nice perk. I also guess that means he's backed by a label that's pushing him through the iTunes Music Store.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: August 28, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »

Anyways, speaking of Rdio, have you heard the stupid commercials they're running for it? It starts off:

"Do you remember the old days, when families used to gather around the radio? Sure there's all kinds of streaming audio, MP3s, blah blah blah, but there's something about *live radio"... blah blah blah. Listen to live radio on RDIO."  (Which is by the way the stupidest domain name ever if you're going to have to sell it on the actual radio.)

Ok um... I'm 45. My family never gathered around the radio. I would venture to guess that even those of you into your 50s or 60s never did either. I mean, wasn't that a thing in the 40s or 50s?

At any rate, it's not like anybody over 40-50 is in KFOG's target demo anyways, are we?

indeed, "gathering around the radio" ended when TV became popular in the early '50s. And when "the kids" turned on Top 40 radio in the rock'n'roll era, adults would pretty much run from the room.

Rdio was originally a Spotify-type thing, wasn't it? But now they're moving into iHeart territiory so they're looking for an angle.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
so, now that it's the end of August, KFOG is suddenly playing "Gold in the Summertime" by Matt Nathanson?  Which has been out since May? Did I miss something?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: August 28, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »
indeed, "gathering around the radio" ended when TV became popular in the early '50s. And when "the kids" turned on Top 40 radio in the rock'n'roll era, adults would pretty much run from the room.

Rdio was originally a Spotify-type thing, wasn't it? But now they're moving into iHeart territiory so they're looking for an angle.

Huh, yeah seems like they're finally able to take advantage of the confusing rdio/radio name.

Drat, looks like they've got a gap between Aug 19-24. And huh, no Rdio Playlists since then.

Well, at least they're using a fairly standard tool to manage the website -- WordPress -- so it wasn't too painful to scrape the listings for the week (or so) and save them again. Example: http://darryl.com/10at10/tat20150828.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:15:21 PM by darryl »