Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102597 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2925 on: September 18, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
Forgive me if someone else has already posted this conclusion, but it would seem that KFOX is going after the disenfranchised Fogheads that DC kicked to the curb a year ago--or at least they want to try to recreate the vibe with ex-KFOG jocks, if not their playlist. They've already picked up Big Rick, Webster and now AL. If they sign Irish Greg or steal Peter Finch from KGO, it's a lock.

I'll be curious to see what sort of a show AL does--and if they give her a chance to do a 10@10-like retro feature set-9@9 maybe?

A "KFOG Vibe" doesn't come from the playlist they've got. I don't see why they'd abandon the pure Classic Rock they've been doing for decades -- they've been beating the Bone (heh) pretty consistently lately. As I said on FB, this new incarnation is like Oldies 103.7 without the disco and cheezy pop.

BTW, a guy commented on one of Rich Lieberman's posts with this ridiculous put-down of AL:

So, Annalisa is taking over for Greg Kihn? She will be a self fulfilling prophecy. She barely had the chops at KFOG, and (imo) was an EPIC FAIL when she took over Dave Morey's 10@10.

KFOX has made a HUGE screwup in this particular instance. Although I didn't agree with Kihn's politics, he was otherwise a VERY good morning ride guy, and was entirely entertaining. He had great stories, great guests (whom he had actually played with, so could completely relate to their anecdotes) and was in general a lot of fun to kisten to.

In NO way can Annalisa compare to any of that. Aside from her time as a radio jock, and using the radio station credentials to get into music venues, she has NO street cred.

I wish I could punch that guy in the face.  I replied (not that it makes a diff):

You must be kidding: Annalisa did 10@10 brilliantly for the first 2 years after Morey left -- bringing much-needed new blood, with both her own musical knowledge and her addition of daily audience input via Facebook. (Dave was a creative genius but he was a tad cranky when it came to people making requests/suggestions). When Constantine came in last year and started trying to control what songs Annalisa could play and which years would be featured (and how frequently), quality sufferered somewhat but she still did a fine job.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
A "KFOG Vibe" doesn't come from the playlist they've got. I don't see why they'd abandon the pure Classic Rock they've been doing for decades -- they've been beating the Bone (heh) pretty consistently lately. As I said on FB, this new incarnation is like Oldies 103.7 without the disco and cheezy pop.

It's funny, I've been listening to KFOX a lot over the last month or so (since I started listening to the radio at work, rather than streaming).  Have they really made a change already, or are they waiting for Annalisa?  Because here's Boston again, and I'll bet that I hear either "Stairway..." or "Freebird" before lunch.  Someone on facebook mentioned that they played "Basket Case" (Green Day) the other day, and I've yet to hear anything quite that "new" yet, but I'm not always paying that close attention.

ETA:  And how long will 9 til noon commercial free last? (don't say 3 hours  :o )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:40:50 AM by Lightnin' Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: September 19, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »

It's funny, I've been listening to KFOX a lot over the last month or so (since I started listening to the radio at work, rather than streaming).  Have they really made a change already, or are they waiting for Annalisa?  Because here's Boston again, and I'll bet that I hear either "Stairway..." or "Freebird" before lunch.  Someone on facebook mentioned that they played "Basket Case" (Green Day) the other day, and I've yet to hear anything quite that "new" yet, but I'm not always paying that close attention.

ETA:  And how long will 9 til noon commercial free last? (don't say 3 hours  :o )

apparently Entercom (the owners) have been doing this 9-noon commercial-free thing on alot of their rock stations and it's working -- each hour is "brought to you commercial-free by _________" so there IS some money being made.  They've supposedly added '90s stuff (Green Day, Nirvana, RHCPs) as well as older songs that would've been considered too wimpy before (America).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
Is it me or have the people calling in to win stuff on KFOG lately sound like they're on downers? No enthusiasm. 

Tim: "Hey! you just won tickets to _____ !!!"

Foghead: "oh... great... thanks."

Dude, get excited!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »
Rich Lieberman has a blog post today about why he hasn't really gotten excited about the AL-to-KFOX story.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2012/09/why-i-have-ignored-kfog.html#comment-form

and that's his perogative, but there are some interesting comments down below, including a funny slam of Renee.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »
Here's the quote:

Several of you have written me and asked why I have not written about KFOG lately and that why I have ignored "Analissa" moving over to KFOX to replace Greg Kihn.

I'll be short and sweet: After Dave Morey left I pretty much tuned out KFOG. I wrote about the morning show shenanigans of a few months back, but after that, I've been silent--for a reason.

And no disrespect to Analissa, but when Cumulus took over the KFOG reign, I was done. I was never a foghead, but I enjoyed Morey and liked the playlist. The nudnick they hired and blew out after only a few weeks, (courtesy Mr. Constantine, who clearly doesn't know how to run a radio station), was the final straw.

Then again, I never listened to the new team. Remember, it's Cumulus

And I'm tired of people's "Get Off My Lawn" type of pronouncements r/ KFOG. Is Lieberman actually Fred?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: September 24, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
BTW, what's with those 2 comments on KFOG's FB page about hearing Irish Greg yesterday morning around 11?  Did they accidentally play an old promo with his voice? He didn't actually leave 103.7 after less than 2 months did he?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: September 24, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
BTW, what's with those 2 comments on KFOG's FB page about hearing Irish Greg yesterday morning around 11?  Did they accidentally play an old promo with his voice? He didn't actually leave 103.7 after less than 2 months did he?

It turns out Rosalie played part of an old playspace perf during Acoustic Sunrise and Irish Greg was interviewing the artist. And clueless Fogheads immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 01, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »
Now playing: "Madness" by Muse.  First time I've heard this song on KFOG since they added it at 60x first week over a month ago.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 02, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
For all those who were e-mailing KFOG GM Bungeroth... he's been replaced.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2012/10/source-bungeroth-out-as-sf-market.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
Tim: (after playing the band Vertical Horizon) "what is a 'vertical horizon'?"

Greg: "it's a play on words! it's gotta be!"

er, sure, Gory, whatever you say.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
Tim: (after playing the band Vertical Horizon) "what is a 'vertical horizon'?"

Greg: "it's a play on words! it's gotta be!"

er, sure, Gory, whatever you say.

Egads...  Don't like the morning show. 
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: October 03, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
In addition to doing 10@10, Renee is now officially the Music Director.

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n25582

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: October 04, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »

Caught a bit of Dred last nite, apparently they'll be premiering the new Adele 007 theme today for NRT.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: October 04, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »

So Annalisa was the DJ equivalent of Joe Montana? Way to go, AL! (No way do I buy Renee as Steve Young though, unless they mean *after* the concussions.)
Let's get right to it.