Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102598 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2295 on: September 12, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
Just tuned in the Marathon stream for the first time, right at the end of last Monday's 88 set, so am now listening to '98 from the beginning. I like that the ads are limited to a brief Mattress Discounters promo read by AL, but I'm kinda not digging the fidelity. It sounds a bit more midrangey and compressed than the regular stream, and there's a little more hiss, too. I'll have to try it on my phone & see if it's Android-compatible or not.

as i commented last week, it must be a pretty cheap thing to do it this way (as an endlessly-repeating loop), rather than posting, say each set as an individual podcast that is individually accessable -- like WFUV does with Scelsa & Crenshaw and KPFA does with their shows. Dunno how that impacts the fidelity but it may be a factor.

frankly, since the new DC guidelines have come into play, I haven't even been listening to the PM replay much less the marathon. It's rare these days that AL does a set that I can't wait to hear again.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 12, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »
Just tuned in the Marathon stream for the first time, right at the end of last Monday's 88 set, so am now listening to '98 from the beginning. I like that the ads are limited to a brief Mattress Discounters promo read by AL, but I'm kinda not digging the fidelity. It sounds a bit more midrangey and compressed than the regular stream, and there's a little more hiss, too. I'll have to try it on my phone & see if it's Android-compatible or not.

as i commented last week, it must be a pretty cheap thing to do it this way (as an endlessly-repeating loop), rather than posting, say each set as an individual podcast that is individually accessable -- like WFUV does with Scelsa & Crenshaw and KPFA does with their shows. Dunno how that impacts the fidelity but it may be a factor.

frankly, since the new DC guidelines have come into play, I haven't even been listening to the PM replay much less the marathon. It's rare these days that AL does a set that I can't wait to hear again.

That's pretty much the case with me as well. I only get one or two chances a week to tune in at 10am for the live show, and most nights at 10pm I'd much rather be heading off to bed than sitting by the computer. No diss to AL, but the pool of songs she's being compelled to draw from just aren't as interesting to me overall, even though, as commented earlier, she's doing her best to make the sets as unique as possible. This must really be hard on her own creativity though.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 12, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
I'll have to try it on my phone & see if it's Android-compatible or not.

Does Android support Flash? Apparently the stream is RTMP-encrypted. I asked the guys that provide the station directory for my Internet Radio (Livio Pandora Radio -- I won it.), and he replied:

Sadly we're unable to add the station right now to issues with the RTMP streaming protocol used by some sites that provide flash-based players, which is proprietary to Adobe, and as such is not currently supported by our radios.

Oh, but on Facebook either Annalisa or somebody else from KFOG noted the difficulties people were having listening on their iPhones (of course), and said that they were looking into making the stream work on other devices (meaning iPhones). But that's good, because we know iPhones don't do Flash, so hopefully they'll end up doing something more widely compatible.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:32:05 PM by darryl »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 12, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
Pleasantly surprised that DC just played The Style Council's "Long Hot Summer"...all seven minutes of it!  Odd, considering it's something he'd probably have a conniption over if AL played it on 10@10.

Ugh.  Here's "Closing Time" again... 
<buzzkill>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:50:48 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 12, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »
Posted by Dred earlier tonight on the KFOG FB page:

Dred sez: Just a note: We'll be introducing a new nightly feature next Monday that will allow us to go deeper into the KFOG library and use suggestions from Fogheads. Keep watching this space ('cause space is the place)

Hmmm. Possibly an alternative to the 10@10 model that doesn't take up 45+ minutes of airtime?

(Btw, I got a smile out of the Sun Ra reference, not that I *ever* expect to hear that band on KFOG. Rocket number 9, take off for the planet...)

Here's the scoop on Dred's new joint: KFOG Connected. Sounds sorta like My Three Songs expanded, or maybe the Sounds' 10@10 theme sets.

Dred sez: Fogheads, we've got a new feature for you beginning Monday night - KFOG Connected, a set of tunes connected by a theme, topic, etc. It's a chance for us to dig into the KFOG library, and your suggestions are encouraged. Best suggestion of the day wins concert tickets, etc. Check out this link for more info...Thanks!

it premieres tonite at 8:

Monday's (September 12th) connection is: Connection. (Songs related to the topic of connection. What else would you expect for night number one?)

You can win tickets to see Gomez and Devotchka at the Mountain Winery on September 30th.

Email your suggestions or post them online at KFOG’s Facebook Page.

Can I assume we'll hear Stereo MCs? As of 7:30 there were exactly 2 suggestions on FB: "Thank You" by Dido and Radio Nowhere" by Brooooce. Hrm.

ETA: yup, Dred started with "Connected" followed by "Connection" (Stones) and "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" -- so it's an electrical connection, I guess. (I'd've followed the Stones song with "Waiting For my Man", but I guess that's not the, er, connection direction Dred wanted to go in.)  In any case, the feature itself is indeed "My 3 Songs" in reverse; Dred gives you the connection and you make the suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:56:34 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: September 12, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »
Another semi-backtrack: this afternoon KFOG played the version of M&S's "Little Lion Man" with the f-bomb.  This was followed by Airborne Toxic Event "Changing" & Moby's "Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad"...KFOG was sure on a roll.  But, then they blew it next with screamy Jet that we heard on 10@10 today.  

KFOG's commercial for "Friends with Benefits" is probably the most risque thing I've heard on the station.  I can imagine it's going after the younger demo.

Was in Colo. this weekend & got to listen to KBCO -- now THAT is one snoozy AAA station.  Maybe I'm just spoiled with the new KFOG, but I don't even remember the "old" KFOG being that bland, just repetitive.  The afternoons were especially painful.  It didn't sound like a real station with a real flow, it sounded more like an iPod on random with the most overplayed AAA currents & recurrents.  Ginger did no help in making things interesting either, in fact it seemed like her voiceovers were also part of the shuffle (and her voice was a little too gruff to be coming from someone called "Ginger," methinks...)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:40:39 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 13, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »
Another semi-backtrack: this afternoon KFOG played the version of M&S's "Little Lion Man" with the f-bomb.  

That's funny because I heard them play "Creep" over the weekend and it was the "so very special" version rather than the usual bleeped/backward-masked "fucking" version.

Was in Colo. this weekend & got to listen to KBCO -- now THAT is one snoozy AAA station.  Maybe I'm just spoiled with the new KFOG, but I don't even remember the "old" KFOG being that bland, just repetitive.  The afternoons were especially painful.  It didn't sound like a real station with a real flow, it sounded more like an iPod on random with the most overplayed AAA currents & recurrents.  Ginger did no help in making things interesting either, in fact it seemed like her voiceovers were also part of the shuffle (and her voice was a little too gruff to be coming from someone called "Ginger," methinks...)

I've always suspected that Ginger is, um, a "big-boned gal" as k.d. lang would say. She did a fine 10@10 back when 'BCO was on my radar. Shame they discontinued it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 13, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
This AM KFOG played that "If you haven't heard KFOG lately.. you haven't heard KFOG!" clip and followed it with... Matt Nathanson's "Faster" for about the 3 billionth time. Talk about poorly timed.

Unless you're a soccer mom.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »
If I heard Sublime singing about having something for Pancho's punk-ass one more time I may go postal.

and that song by The Dirty Heads is seriously ripping off a Jack Johnson melody, innit?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:51:27 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
The first three themes for "KFOG Connected":

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I thought I liked the idea...but this is going nowhere fast.  Sounds like 10@10 Theme set rejects.  :-\

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 14, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I thought I liked the idea...but this is going nowhere fast.  Sounds like 10@10 Theme set rejects.  :-\

You know what's going to happen, right? "Dred, you're on fire!"

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 14, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I thought I liked the idea...but this is going nowhere fast.  Sounds like 10@10 Theme set rejects.  :-\

Dayum, Swellegant - You're on fire today!  :P
Hey, was that you who suggested The Kinks for the Superman theme?  Thought I heard your name.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:27:46 PM by sundaygal »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 14, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I thought I liked the idea...but this is going nowhere fast.  Sounds like 10@10 Theme set rejects.  :-\

Dayum, Swellegant - You're on fire today!  :P
Hey, was that you who suggested The Kinks for the Superman theme?  Thought I heard your name.

I'll take the fifth.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »
Hope all the '80s Gurls were listening this morning: a caller mentioned that Edwin Sharpe's "Home" reminded them of Haysee Fantaysee's "Shiny Shiny" and after a Foghead insta-poll they actually played that ditty. 

Which begs the question: why is it OK to play an obscurity like that in the middle of the Morning Show but 10@10 has to be blanded-out? It does not compute.

Meanwhile, the Cumulus/Citadel merger got final FCC approval:

http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2285956&spid=24698
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:11:22 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 15, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »
Pleasantly surprised that DC just played The Style Council's "Long Hot Summer"...all seven minutes of it!  Odd, considering it's something he'd probably have a conniption over if AL played it on 10@10.

Hope all the '80s Gurls were listening this morning: a caller mentioned that Edwin Sharpe's "Home" reminded them of Haysee Fantaysee's "Shiny Shiny" and after a Foghead insta-poll they actually played that ditty. 

Which begs the question: why is it OK to play an obscurity like that in the middle of the Morning Show but 10@10 has to be blanded-out? It does not compute.

LOL - yeah I woke up about 5 seconds before they started playing Shiny Shiny.  I've noticed the Morning Show & DC (& everyone else) throwing in songs like that into the mix fairly frequently these days (vs. the 10@10 thing too.)  A lot of these "new" obscure golds that they're throwing into the mix have appeared too in recent 10@10's.  To be fair though, it's not like 10@10 is completely blanded out.  We were just really spoiled when AL came up with like 5-8 or more bustouts/rarities per show and now we're down to like 1-2, sometimes 3.  Maybe they're trying to "smooth" things out, for now.  Get people used to hearing the same variation of obscure songs in most dayparts.  They do have a different flavor, though.  For instance, the morning show obscurities are often extremely goofy (like that one and the "Everything Reminds Me of My Therapist" song.)  It does keep things more interesting in the A.M.