Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102597 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2130 on: July 16, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »
I have not kept up w/regional 10@10's. Did KBCO and Ginger give up on 10@10? Saw on his bio page that DC spent time to BCO.

yeah, 'BCO gave up a couple years ago -- dunno if DC was there at the time.  Ginger just stopped doing 10@10 one day in the middle of the week, supposedly it was a test to see if anyone would notice; apparently nobody did.

But DC was also at KINK in Portland; they had a 10@10 that was (surprise!) heavy on '80s & '90s and was the only 10@10 we've heard to have '00s years in the rotation. and then one day... they stopped doing 10@10 altogether.

I doubt DC had anything to do with the beginning or end of 10@10 @ KBCO - he hasn't been there since 1993.  http://www.linkedin.com/in/dennisconstantine

As far as I know DC was at KINK when their 10@10 started too, so instead of being a case of ruining something good, it was more of a case (and I think someone mentioned this earlier) of trying something new that never really caught on with the audience up there.  80s, 90s, and 00s sets will not ruin 10@10; consistently bad sets (regardless of year) will.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 16, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »
I really do like Adele. But they've been playing her 4-5 times a day. That's nuts. And I think she'd be the first person to tell you she's not "World Class Rock."

There is no format "Rolling in the Deep" hasn't conquered.  It's even charting on Latin Songs!  (!)

But yes, there are several other songs on that album to move on to now.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 16, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
Personally I prefer my neo-soul performed by actual, y'know, black people.

You hear Adele as neo-soul?  I hear her as carrying the torch that Dusty Springfield had passed to Alison Moyet, with some KT Tunstall in some of the arrangements.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 16, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
Personally I prefer my neo-soul performed by actual, y'know, black people.

You hear Adele as neo-soul?  I hear her as carrying the torch that Dusty Springfield had passed to Alison Moyet, with some KT Tunstall in some of the arrangements.

Sorry, I didn't know "neo-soul" had a narrow definition. She's young and sings soulfully, therefore...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 16, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
in other news, KFOG just announced on their FB page that Rosalie made the cut for the Bay Area Radio HOF. Congrats!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 16, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
in other news, KFOG just announced on their FB page that Rosalie made the cut for the Bay Area Radio HOF. Congrats!

Congrats, Miss Rosalie! 

KFOG just played "I'm Free" by The Soup Dragons.  I likey this. 

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 17, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »

Good for her! Although I voted for Scott Beach, who should have been in years ago.

And Kim Wonderley made it, too! A little gobsmacked by that one, I am.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »

Good for her! Although I voted for Scott Beach, who should have been in years ago.

And Kim Wonderley made it, too! A little gobsmacked by that one, I am.

it was her commercials for that painting company that put her over the top, obviously.

So, I'm wondering if KFOG is getting feedback from the older demos or if anyone has even noticed the big playlist tweak. It's especially apparent in the morning, and the Morning Show has traditionally skewed the oldest, with a lot more "classics" in the mix than, say, in the evenings. I don't think I heard anything older than T.Heads' "Wild Wild Life" in my hour of listening this AM.  So, when will corporate decide that Webster and Peter are "too old" to be relating to the thirtysomethings?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 18, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Holy crap I'm old/vanilla. 9-10AM I sat in a boring Saratoga coffee shop and listened to Sirirus XM's "Coffee House" and liked it:

Shawn Colvin - Pride In The Name of Love
Eddie Vedder  - Longing To Belong
Alanis Morissette - Ironic
Brett Dennen - By & By
Colbie Caillat - Bubbly
Eric Bibb - New Automobile
Sarah McLachlan - Ice Cream
SJ - I Like You
Sting - Fields Of Gold
Michelle Shocked - Anchorage
Jeffrey Gaines - In Your Eyes
David Gray - When I Was In Your Heart
Rod Stewart - You're In My Heart (The Final Acclai
Del Amitri - Tell Her This
Natalie Merchant - Just Can't Last
Jack Johnson - From The Clouds
Neil Young - My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)
Dido - Thank You
Damien Rice -Cannonball
Lyle Lovett   - Straighten Up And Fly Right
Adele   - Someone Like You

No wonder I don't mind the new KFOG. Embarrassed sob. I guess this commenter on Rick Stuart's slam of the new KFOG was right:

Quote from: Chuck Davis
The local staion I used to listen to USED to have really good DJ's and USED to play good classic rock. Now they cater to a bunch of women and metrosexuals who all sound depressed.

#nohomo ;-}

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 18, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
So, I'm wondering if KFOG is getting feedback from the older demos or if anyone has even noticed the big playlist tweak. It's especially apparent in the morning, and the Morning Show has traditionally skewed the oldest, with a lot more "classics" in the mix than, say, in the evenings. I don't think I heard anything older than T.Heads' "Wild Wild Life" in my hour of listening this AM.  So, when will corporate decide that Webster and Peter are "too old" to be relating to the thirtysomethings?

This morning, after the embarrassing self-realization of the wussification of my listening tastes, I thought of a way to look for "the switch" -- I'm going to search my database for any of the artists Big Rick said KFOG stopped playing, and see when they were last played with any frequency. Results soon.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 18, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
So, I'm wondering if KFOG is getting feedback from the older demos or if anyone has even noticed the big playlist tweak. It's especially apparent in the morning, and the Morning Show has traditionally skewed the oldest, with a lot more "classics" in the mix than, say, in the evenings. I don't think I heard anything older than T.Heads' "Wild Wild Life" in my hour of listening this AM.  So, when will corporate decide that Webster and Peter are "too old" to be relating to the thirtysomethings?

This morning, after the embarrassing self-realization of the wussification of my listening tastes, I thought of a way to look for "the switch" -- I'm going to search my database for any of the artists Big Rick said KFOG stopped playing, and see when they were last played with any frequency. Results soon.

Ha!  funny...  

I like your methodology. Perhaps we can plot the old and new acts on some sort of 3d graph using multiple axes of Hippes, headbangers and soccer moms/metrosexuals/etc.  :)

~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 18, 2011, 11:53:27 AM »
Ugh, cumulative results are a pain to go through. Let's just look at it by artist:

The Rolling Stones: 2011 to date = 701 spins, 2010 = 1550 spins, 2009 = 1423 spins
The Who: 306 / 737 / 679
Eric Clapton: 208 / 814 / 757
Aerosmith:  60 / 190 / 120
Santana: 329 / 838 / 696
Thin Lizzy:  4 / 2 / 3
Pink Floyd:  208 / 381 / 490
Beatles: 482 / 660 spins / 446 spins

Ok, so projecting current playrate through Dec 31 2011 [using the formula (plays to date * 365)/days in year thus far)] we'd get:

Stones: 1286 spins
Who: 564
Clapton: 383 (wow, big drop)
Aerosmith: 111
Santana: 606
Thin Lizzy: 7 (small data set = outlying results)
Pink Floyd: 383
Beatles: 889 (huge jump)

So, assuming my math is right (which is not assured -- please check my work!), Big Rick is right. Definitely less stereotypically "Classic Rock" (if we accept his definition by artist) is played per day, although they have been spinning more Beatles, which we may argue falls more into the Pop Rock category, especially in comparison to KFOX.

As always, if you want to poke around on your own, please feel free to go to http://www.rudebadmood.com/foglist/

After plugging in date ranges like 2010/01/01-2010/12/31, I'm plucking total # of spins from the (Displaying 0-100 of XXX records).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:57:46 AM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 18, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »
I would guess that the Beatles are the "old" band that younger listeners consider to be the most "timeless", and it would seem that, of the very few '60s tracks being played now, the majority are probably Beatle tunes (with Jimi in 2nd place).

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 18, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »
Welp, since none of KFOG's "Now Playing Apps" (3 of them!) list release date, you're welcome to poke around for songs/artists that you think fit the "oldies" category, or post them here and I'll do some more lookups.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 18, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Welp, since none of KFOG's "Now Playing Apps" (3 of them!) list release date, you're welcome to poke around for songs/artists that you think fit the "oldies" category, or post them here and I'll do some more lookups.

I'd consider anything pre-1980 to be "old" as far as KFOG (and DC) are concerned. I just looked at what's been played today since 6am and counted exactly 3 '70s tracks:

Blondie "One way or Another"
Bob Marley "Exodus"
F.Mac "Secondhand News"

I was also pleased to see that they played the Pet Shop Boys "Opportunities" in the 7:00 hour, but I've no way of knowing if that was programmed or if it was a Request-O-Rama prize.