Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102599 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2100 on: July 08, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
Heard "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 on KFOG last nite...  :-\
I can't imagine too many KFOG listeners want to hear about a "beauty queen of only 18," I could be wrong though...
Oh, about as much as hearing "Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, Stevie Nicks "Edge of 17," The Stray Cats "Sexy and 17," or the Beatles sing "she was just 17, you know what I mean..."  ;)
Or Hall and Oates' Sara Smile
"Baby hair with a woman's eyes."
WTF?
Or Ringo's version of "You're 16" or Dr Hook's version of "Only 16."    Eeek!

Christine 16 by KISS is another, except KFOG would never play that.
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 11, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
Heard "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 on KFOG last nite...  :-\
I can't imagine too many KFOG listeners want to hear about a "beauty queen of only 18," I could be wrong though...
Oh, about as much as hearing "Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, Stevie Nicks "Edge of 17," The Stray Cats "Sexy and 17," or the Beatles sing "she was just 17, you know what I mean..."  ;)
Or Hall and Oates' Sara Smile
"Baby hair with a woman's eyes."
WTF?
Or Ringo's version of "You're 16" or Dr Hook's version of "Only 16."    Eeek!
Or "Don't stand so close to me"

See also: hilariously inappropriate wedding reception songs.

Oh, but I really came here to repost what I just put on KFOG's FB wall:

My wife pointed out to me (I always miss these things) that KFOG plays the "non-rap" version of the Gorillaz' "Feel Good". Or as I called it, "the old white guy version to keep Fogheads from complaining." :-( (and c'mon guys, the "rap" in that song is ridiculously short.)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:33:57 PM by darryl »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 11, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »
On a similar note...listening to KFOG now and they are playing the version of "Little Lion Man" that says "messed" instead of the normal version that has an intentionally badly edited "f--ked."

I don't mind though in this case the f-bomb sounds soooooo out of place.  Then again, "messed" sounds kind of out of place too...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »
On a similar note...listening to KFOG now and they are playing the version of "Little Lion Man" that says "messed" instead of the normal version that has an intentionally badly edited "f--ked."

I don't mind though in this case the f-bomb sounds soooooo out of place.  Then again, "messed" sounds kind of out of place too...

wow,I didn't know there *was* a "messed" version. Kinda like the 3 diff versions of the Cee-Lo song.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 11, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

wow,I didn't know there *was* a "messed" version. Kinda like the 3 diff versions of the Cee-Lo song.

There's a third version? Do tell...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 11, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »

There's the uncensored "Fuck You" version... there's the "Eff You" version that some stations play and then the completely wimpy "Forget You" version.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 11, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »

There's the uncensored "Fuck You" version... there's the "Eff You" version that some stations play and then the completely wimpy "Forget You" version.

There's actually a fourth version (that Channel played before switching to "Eff You") that says nothing in place of the f-bomb.  It's just an empty space with no words (the instrumentals are still there, tho)...not even a bleep (and I think that some stations can place whatever bleep they want on top of this.)  So it sounds like "I'm like   you and    her too"...confusing and annoying.

Alice, Mix, and Star (all the Hot AC stations) played the "messed" version of M&S.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 13, 2011, 12:45:46 PM »
Oh, the "blank" version sounds like something the Internets could have fun with. :-)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 13, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »
Oh, the "blank" version sounds like something the Internets could have fun with. :-)

Indeed.  Live 105 used this version but stuck in amusing sound effects.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
I've been listening to KFOG all day today...and def. noticed WAY more of a newer skew.  It's not just 10@10.  I got up @ 9:20 to a new song by the Airborne Toxic Event.  Up til 10@10 (and including, I guess) everything was from the 90s & 00s except for "Love My Way" from the Pysch. Furs.  Also been noticing a lot of recurrents lately that KFOG never officially added (in addition to a few Muse tracks, they've also been regularly playing "The Ghost Inside" by Broken Bells & "Home" by E. Sharpe/00s.)  The pattern repeated for the next few hours...mostly 90s and 00s with a few 80s new wave tracks here & there.  Now it's 3 and they're playing something from Jimi Hendrix, the first old song I've heard all day.  And immediately afterwards comes the White Stripes - Seven Nation Army  :o  I don't recall this getting much love from KFOG ever, at least not in recent years.

I miss the deeper tracks from Midnight Oil, Roxy Music, Moodswings/Chrissie Hynde that we got a few months ago...haven't noticed as many of those lately and perhaps DC's scrapbook of "it's different here" emails that he was supposedly putting together didn't gel with the bigwigs @ Cumulus...but aside from that, I must say that for me KFOG is as listenable as it's ever been.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:23:47 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
I've been listening to KFOG all day today...and def. noticed WAY more of a newer skew.  It's not just 10@10.  I got up @ 9:20 to a new song by the Airborne Toxic Event.  Up til 10@10 (and including, I guess) everything was from the 90s & 00s except for "Love My Way" from the Pysch. Furs.  Also been noticing a lot of recurrents lately that KFOG never officially added (in addition to a few Muse tracks, they've also been regularly playing "The Ghost Inside" by Broken Bells & "Home" by E. Sharpe/00s.)  The pattern repeated for the next few hours...mostly 90s and 00s with a few 80s new wave tracks here & there.  Now it's 3 and they're playing something from Jimi Hendrix, the first old song I've heard all day.  And immediately afterwards comes the White Stripes - Seven Nation Army  :o  I don't recall this getting much love from KFOG ever, at least not in recent years.

I miss the deeper tracks from Midnight Oil, Roxy Music, Moodswings/Chrissie Hynde that we got a few months ago...haven't noticed as many of those lately and perhaps DC's scrapbook of "it's different here" emails that he was supposedly putting together didn't gel with the bigwigs @ Cumulus...but aside from that, I must say that for me KFOG is as listenable as it's ever been.

I heard "7 Nation Army" this morning in the 6:00 hour; you're right that it never got much KFOG love; they ignored the White Stripes until they showed up in the Foghead Favorites poll at the end of that year, then they suddenly started playing them sparingly for a couple months and then they disappeared again.  But I also heard Jorma Kaukonen's "Genesis" around 6:20am which was one of DC's "it's different" tracks.

None of the above surprises me based on the 10@10 situation (it makes no sense to play forgotten '70s-FM tracks all day and then make 10@10 an obscurity-free zone) so I officially declare this the end of KFOG as we all knew it.

ETA: I loooked at "Just Played" going all the way back to 6am and counted THREE '70s tracks and ONE '60s (the Hendrix), and that Jorma K song didn't show up on the list. everythhing else was as rad-347 described. End of an era, folks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:50:58 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 13, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »
I've been listening to KFOG all day today...and def. noticed WAY more of a newer skew.  It's not just 10@10.  I got up @ 9:20 to a new song by the Airborne Toxic Event.  Up til 10@10 (and including, I guess) everything was from the 90s & 00s except for "Love My Way" from the Pysch. Furs.  Also been noticing a lot of recurrents lately that KFOG never officially added (in addition to a few Muse tracks, they've also been regularly playing "The Ghost Inside" by Broken Bells & "Home" by E. Sharpe/00s.)  The pattern repeated for the next few hours...mostly 90s and 00s with a few 80s new wave tracks here & there.  Now it's 3 and they're playing something from Jimi Hendrix, the first old song I've heard all day.  And immediately afterwards comes the White Stripes - Seven Nation Army  :o  I don't recall this getting much love from KFOG ever, at least not in recent years.

I heard "7 Nation Army" this morning in the 6:00 hour; you're right that it never got much KFOG love; they ignored the White Stripes until they showed up in the Foghead Favorites poll at the end of that year, then they suddenly started playing them sparingly for a couple months and then they disappeared again.  But I also heard Jorma Kaukonen's "Genesis" around 6:20am which was one of DC's "it's different" tracks.

None of the above surprises me based on the 10@10 situation (it makes no sense to play forgotten '70s-FM tracks all day and then make 10@10 an obscurity-free zone) so I officially declare this the end of KFOG as we all knew it.

ETA: I loooked at "Just Played" going all the way back to 6am and counted THREE '70s tracks and ONE '60s (the Hendrix), and that Jorma K song didn't show up on the list. everythhing else was as rad-347 described. End of an era, folks.

yeah, dang... seems like the station focus is shifting.  Really, the only time I found myself seeking out KFOG was for 10 at 10.  I like the oldies music on 103.7 and the rock on the Bone better.  I truly do miss KUSF, though. That was my go-to station for music most of the time.  That and KPOO. 

At least this newer musical re-focus of KFOG is fairly unique to the Bay Area radio landscape, isn't it?  perhaps Alice covers some of that ground, and maybe there are some south bay stations I can't pull in that cover it, but it seems like a decent business decision on KFOG's part.  The hippies are getting older and will stop listening some day... :)

someone should ping Ben F-T about this.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »
I've been listening to KFOG all day today...and def. noticed WAY more of a newer skew.  It's not just 10@10.  I got up @ 9:20 to a new song by the Airborne Toxic Event.  Up til 10@10 (and including, I guess) everything was from the 90s & 00s except for "Love My Way" from the Pysch. Furs.  Also been noticing a lot of recurrents lately that KFOG never officially added (in addition to a few Muse tracks, they've also been regularly playing "The Ghost Inside" by Broken Bells & "Home" by E. Sharpe/00s.)  The pattern repeated for the next few hours...mostly 90s and 00s with a few 80s new wave tracks here & there.  Now it's 3 and they're playing something from Jimi Hendrix, the first old song I've heard all day.  And immediately afterwards comes the White Stripes - Seven Nation Army  :o  I don't recall this getting much love from KFOG ever, at least not in recent years.

I heard "7 Nation Army" this morning in the 6:00 hour; you're right that it never got much KFOG love; they ignored the White Stripes until they showed up in the Foghead Favorites poll at the end of that year, then they suddenly started playing them sparingly for a couple months and then they disappeared again.  But I also heard Jorma Kaukonen's "Genesis" around 6:20am which was one of DC's "it's different" tracks.

Unless of course KFOG tanks in the next round of Arbitrons. If that happens you can bet there'll be some backpedalling going on.

So does this mean the end of the long-standing "World Class Rock" tagline? I guess it doesn't necessarily have to, but if they're completely rejiggering their focus it might make sense.

Just occurred to me that KUFX's move into SF may be at least partially to blame for this focus shift. KFOG is trying to distinguish itself from the rest of the field.

As for the almost total exile of pre-80s music, I'd be curious to see what Darryl's data has to say, and if there's a specific date that can be pinpointed as to when the change occurred.

ETA: Just saw on AL's FB page that we're getting 1967 tomorrow. You can thank Rob Grill and Sherwood Schwartz for kicking the bucket within days of each other.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:46:57 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »
So does this mean the end of the long-standing "World Class Rock" tagline? I guess it doesn't necessarily have to, but if they're completely rejiggering their focus it might make sense.

I don't think they'll drop that tagline, but "handpicked by Humans" seems ridiculous now -- looking at that 6a-3p playlist from today it is as corporate-generated as they come, no different than any other Triple-A station in the country. No way is DC programming this from his gut; Cumulus/Citadel probably saw the plays for "Our Lady of the Well" and "Genesis" and said WTFF?

And it *does* make sense, business-wise; ya can't play "Rocket Man" 27 times a week forever. Surely there are 20-somethings and 30-somethings who find Alice uninteresting and Live 105 too juvenile.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 13, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
yeah, dang... seems like the station focus is shifting.  Really, the only time I found myself seeking out KFOG was for 10 at 10.  I like the oldies music on 103.7 and the rock on the Bone better.  I truly do miss KUSF, though. That was my go-to station for music most of the time.  That and KPOO.  

At least this newer musical re-focus of KFOG is fairly unique to the Bay Area radio landscape, isn't it?  perhaps Alice covers some of that ground, and maybe there are some south bay stations I can't pull in that cover it, but it seems like a decent business decision on KFOG's part.  The hippies are getting older and will stop listening some day... :)

someone should ping Ben F-T about this.

Exactly...there's KKSF, KUFX, & KSAN for classic rock...and for new-ish inane songs, there's KLLC, KIOI, and, in the south bay, KEZR.  There wasn't too much right in the middle of that...except for what was already on KFOG & now there's more.

Nothing else like this in the South Bay, either...the closest was Channel 104.9/92.3 before they tweaked in mid-2010 to become a Live 105 clone.  And of course they're gone now too.

I don't think they'll drop that tagline, but "handpicked by Humans" seems ridiculous now -- looking at that 6a-3p playlist from today it is as corporate-generated as they come, no different than any other Triple-A station in the country. No way is DC programming this from his gut; Cumulus/Citadel probably saw the plays for "Our Lady of the Well" and "Genesis" and said WTFF?

And it *does* make sense, business-wise; ya can't play "Rocket Man" 27 times a week forever. Surely there are 20-somethings and 30-somethings who find Alice uninteresting and Live 105 too juvenile.

Raises hand  ;D

World Class Rock is gone (or at least not as ubiquitous as it used to be); now they are "the world-famous KFOG."