Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102612 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2310 on: September 15, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
And another thing: I can't remember so many agressively obnoxious commercials on KFOG at one time. First there was that Sun-gevity commercial -- not the ones with Peter Finch but the one with the loud annoying guy who sounded like Jesse Ventura, screaming about how he hates the environment. I actually complained about that one on the KFOG FB-page and those spots disappeared shortly thereafter.

Right now those ads for HGTV flooring/carpeting ("is this Bee?" "No it's Dee!" "oh hi Dee -- it's Me!") are mind-numbingly stupid, and those hot-sauce spots with the little old lady who "puts that s**t on everything"... good lord, those are the "WTF?" of the year.

ETA: some Googling reveals that hot sauce commercial (Frank's, as it turns out) has been around for 3 YEARS! First time it's being heard in SF if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:01:50 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 15, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
The first three themes for "KFOG Connected":

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I thought I liked the idea...but this is going nowhere fast.  Sounds like 10@10 Theme set rejects.  :-\

You know what's going to happen, right? "Dred, you're on fire!"
Dayum, Swellegant - You're on fire today!  :P
Hey, was that you who suggested The Kinks for the Superman theme?  Thought I heard your name.

Tonite's theme is "Johnny". Just... "Johnny"

I suggested  Julie Brown, "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun"  ;)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: September 15, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »
Pleasantly surprised that DC just played The Style Council's "Long Hot Summer"...all seven minutes of it!  Odd, considering it's something he'd probably have a conniption over if AL played it on 10@10.

Hope all the '80s Gurls were listening this morning: a caller mentioned that Edwin Sharpe's "Home" reminded them of Haysee Fantaysee's "Shiny Shiny" and after a Foghead insta-poll they actually played that ditty. 

Which begs the question: why is it OK to play an obscurity like that in the middle of the Morning Show but 10@10 has to be blanded-out? It does not compute.

LOL - yeah I woke up about 5 seconds before they started playing Shiny Shiny.  I've noticed the Morning Show & DC (& everyone else) throwing in songs like that into the mix fairly frequently these days (vs. the 10@10 thing too.)  A lot of these "new" obscure golds that they're throwing into the mix have appeared too in recent 10@10's.  To be fair though, it's not like 10@10 is completely blanded out.  We were just really spoiled when AL came up with like 5-8 or more bustouts/rarities per show and now we're down to like 1-2, sometimes 3.  Maybe they're trying to "smooth" things out, for now.  Get people used to hearing the same variation of obscure songs in most dayparts.  They do have a different flavor, though.  For instance, the morning show obscurities are often extremely goofy (like that one and the "Everything Reminds Me of My Therapist" song.)  It does keep things more interesting in the A.M. 
OMG.  They actually played "Shiny, Shiny"??  What?!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 15, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I thought I liked the idea...but this is going nowhere fast.  Sounds like 10@10 Theme set rejects.  :-\

Hey, was that you who suggested The Kinks for the Superman theme?  Thought I heard your name.

LOVE "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun"  Can't recall the last time I heard that. Can't imagine ever hearing that on KFOG.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

LOVE "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun"  Can't recall the last time I heard that. Can't imagine ever hearing that on KFOG.

I do believe Dave played itin a "novelty tunes" set.  I didn't think of FYC's "Johnny Come Home" until it was too late.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »

Connections
Jimi Hendrix
Superman

I do believe Dave played itin a "novelty tunes" set.  I didn't think of FYC's "Johnny Come Home" until it was too late.
"Johnny Are You Queer?" is a shoo-in.  Well, in my mind at least.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: September 16, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »
FYI, Dred's "connection" tonite is the Battle of the Sexes. Someone suggested Harry Bellafonte's version of "Man Smart, Woman Smarter"; if he plays that (and not the Robert Palmer cover) I'll be gobsmacked.

The Peak has a similar feature (with longer hair): The Peak's "Off-Peak", a listener suggestion for a song not often heard on the radio (but still within format), inspired perhaps by a news story or local happening. I'm convinced the Peak and KFOG are being consulted by the same company.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: September 16, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
... and those hot-sauce spots with the little old lady who "puts that s**t on everything"... good lord, those are the "WTF?" of the year.

ETA: some Googling reveals that hot sauce commercial (Frank's, as it turns out) has been around for 3 YEARS! First time it's being heard in SF if I'm not mistaken.

Damn I hate those Frank's commercials. Reminds me that I need to complain about them. I know they're not the demographic, but I don't need my kids to hear that s___t.  ;-}

There were also some super-obnoxious FOX commercials a while back.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: September 16, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »
Mmm, Joan Osborne singing Dar Williams' "The One Who Knows" along with her, live in the KFOG Playspace right now.

I'm recording it if anybody is interested. (Did anybody get Belle Brigade on tape, perchance?)

Dar said it was like winning one of those radio contests, but instead of having the DJ recording your answering machine message, she gets to have Joan sing her song. Very cute. Can't wait to see them tomorrow night.

[I know you guys are more 10@10 Fans, but I love Acoustic Sunrise & Sunset, and Rosalie is just great. Super-nice in person, too.]

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: September 16, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Mmm, Joan Osborne singing Dar Williams' "The One Who Knows" along with her, live in the KFOG Playspace right now.

I'm recording it if anybody is interested. (Did anybody get Belle Brigade on tape, perchance?)

Dar said it was like winning one of those radio contests, but instead of having the DJ recording your answering machine message, she gets to have Joan sing her song. Very cute. Can't wait to see them tomorrow night.

[I know you guys are more 10@10 Fans, but I love Acoustic Sunrise & Sunset, and Rosalie is just great. Super-nice in person, too.]

Sweet harmonies on "Comfortably Numb" right now. Dar's performed with Ani DiFranco, but she's got Joan and male voice (maybe guitarist or the guy on Rhodes) and it's really nice.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: September 16, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
... and those hot-sauce spots with the little old lady who "puts that s**t on everything"... good lord, those are the "WTF?" of the year.

Damn I hate those Frank's commercials. Reminds me that I need to complain about them. I know they're not the demographic, but I don't need my kids to hear that s___t.  ;-}

You may not remember but 20 years ago KFOG had (in addition to "no-repeat workdays") a policy about not airing loud obnoxious commercials. Imagine radio sales guys turning down an account from ANYONE these days.

I gotta believe the same parents who have bitched about the lyrics to "Pumped-up Kicks" cannot be at all pleased with those Frank's spots.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2321 on: September 16, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »

You may not remember but 20 years ago KFOG had (in addition to "no-repeat workdays") a policy about not airing loud obnoxious commercials. Imagine radio sales guys turning down an account from ANYONE these days.

I gotta believe the same parents who have bitched about the lyrics to "Pumped-up Kicks" cannot be at all pleased with those Frank's spots.
Nobody else complains about Pumped Up Kicks?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: September 17, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »

I didn't catch said performances but I must concur that the live in the KFOG playspace performances (4P many weekdays) are great!  I have to give props to DC for deciding to air these.

Also, I just heard (not live) "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap - a HUGE (almost too huge, in fact) alternative hit of the electro variety from '09 that also got spun on a few AAA stations (not KFOG, except when they were doing new music nights.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: September 19, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
Amazingly there are *still* Fogheads posting on the KFOG FB-page asking "what happened to the Saturday 10@10 Marathon??"  Proof that change (and improved ratings/demographics) takes time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
Was in the car at 8:00 for Dred's "Connected". Tonite's theme was Walking.  Predictably we got "Walking on the Moon" and "Walk on the Wild Side" but sandwiched between was Isaac Hayes' "Walk on By" (!) and even tho' it was the 45 edit... well played, Mr Scott.