Author Topic: Themes Like Old Times  (Read 7549 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« on: February 04, 2005, 07:29:10 AM »
Coming up in the next week: Mardis Gras (Tuesday) and Valentine's (a week from Monday). Will we get Love Songs or Love Stinks?

Meanwhile, any guesses about today?  We've had '68 and '69 in January. But '70 is long overdue, no?  I doubt we get a Super Bowl set, but perhaps 10 McCartney songs in honor of his halftime appearance. (Please, Sir Paul, don't flash us your boob.)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 07:32:31 AM »
I can't see a Super Bowl set happening.  Dave doesn't strike me as an ardent football fan, and especially not one of the Pats or Eagles.

As for today, I'm thinking 1990, on a hunch.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 07:59:20 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I can't see a Super Bowl set happening.  Dave doesn't strike me as an ardent football fan, and especially not one of the Pats or Eagles.

As for today, I'm thinking 1990, on a hunch.

Your new avatar: 2 SNAPS UP!!

Which reminds me of when "In Living Color" did an "alternative half-time show" during the SB and got a considerable number of folks to switch channels for 15 minutes.  Given the tame, aging-boomer focus this year with Sir Paul, I'm amazed somebody (MTV? Spike? Comedy Central?)didn't decide to promote something similar to lure the hip-hop generation and their disposable income.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:16:54 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Which reminds me of when "In Living Color" did an "alternative half-time show" during the SB and got a considerable number of folks to switch channels for 15 minutes.  Given the tame, aging-boomer focus this year with Sir Paul, I'm amazed somebody (MTV? Spike? Comedy Central?)didn't decide to promote something similar to lure the hip-hop generation and their disposable income.

This is a very good point.  Dave Chapelle would be perfect for this.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 08:21:24 AM »

This is a very good point.  Dave Chapelle would be perfect for this.

So why aren't WE running CC? And what happened to the Viacom gay channel? wasn't that supposed to debut this month?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 09:00:20 AM »
Coming up in the next week: Mardis Gras (Tuesday) and Valentine's (a week from Monday). Will we get Love Songs or Love Stinks?

Meanwhile, any guesses about today?  We've had '68 and '69 in January. But '70 is long overdue, no?  I doubt we get a Super Bowl set, but perhaps 10 McCartney songs in honor of his halftime appearance. (Please, Sir Paul, don't flash us your boob.)

Hopelessly besotted as I am, this is the first year in a long while I'm voting for actual love songs.

I'm guessing '70 today.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 09:34:44 AM »
So why aren't WE running CC? And what happened to the Viacom gay channel? wasn't that supposed to debut this month?

The LOGO network launch has been pushed back six months.  This is never a good sign: I assume they're having trouble with the acquisition of content (apparently it's largely syndication with only a smattering of original content).  LOGO really should hire me to create shows -- I've got some doozies lined up.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Themes Like Old Times
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »
The LOGO network launch has been pushed back six months.  This is never a good sign: I assume they're having trouble with the acquisition of content (apparently it's largely syndication with only a smattering of original content).  LOGO really should hire me to create shows -- I've got some doozies lined up.

I assume the "cultural climate" is a factor too...