Author Topic: Wed 3/9/05 -- it's 1995 (gulp!)  (Read 21536 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 3/9/05 -- it's 1995 (gulp!)
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2005, 10:37:53 AM »
everlast? is that who sings "good?" no, wait. better than ezra? i loved this song. mostly the bass line and the 7th chords.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2005, 10:38:59 AM »
When I saw Jeff Buckley live in 1995, I'd never heard his work, I only knew him as Tim Buckley's son.  Impressive voice, he had, though I harbor the nagging feeling that it was his premature death that created his legacy moreso than his songbook.

Meanwhile, an old SNL joke:

At #1, Better than Ezra.

At #2 ... Ezra.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
The Dolphins
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2005, 10:39:06 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
today i have a line from fred neil's "dolphins," which was covered by daddy buckley.

When I saw that, I thought of Tim Buckley, but I thought of a song from his second album!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2005, 10:39:30 AM »
I cannot hear "Good" without flashing on Norm MacDonald doing the SNL News, as follows:

Norm:  In music news this week, topping the charts is "Good" by Better Than Ezra.

In at number two, Ezra.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2005, 10:40:16 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
When I saw Jeff Buckley live in 1995, I'd never heard his work, I only knew him as Tim Buckley's son.  Impressive voice, he had, though I harbor the nagging feeling that it was his premature death that created his legacy moreso than his songbook.

Meanwhile, an old SNL joke:

At #1, Better than Ezra.

At #2 ... Ezra.

jinx!

(but mine was better fleshed out)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2005, 10:40:48 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I cannot hear "Good" without flashing on Norm MacDonald doing the SNL News, as follows:

Norm:  In music news this week, topping the charts is "Good" by Better Than Ezra.

In at number two, Ezra.

proxy jinx for Gaz (see his post above)!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2005, 10:41:20 AM »
P.S.  1995 was a complicated and traumatic year for me.  I graduated college in May.  In the throes of academic burnout, I'd withdrawn all my grad school applications and planned to follow my friend Victor to San Francisco b/c I was madly in love with him.  He was thereupon offered a job teaching English in Japan and jumped ship (so to speak).  So I abruptly moved to Boston with other semi-directionless friends, where we lived 6 in a roach-infested 2-bedroom for a few months before devolving into Real World-esque dramatics.  I sublet another bedroom for a few more months, then gave up in November and moved back in with my mother & brother.  Feels like watching someone else's life on TV, to relive those moments ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2005, 10:41:37 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

In at number two, Ezra.

jinx on your jinx!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff Buckley
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2005, 10:41:56 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
For me, since Tim Buckley was one of my all time favorites (saw him live at my very first concert, Winterland December 1967) I always saw Jeff Buckley through that lens.  I'm presuming some of you don't have that perspective, and you thought he was a good artist in his own right?

"yes! you are correct, sir!" i appreciate them separately. they have completely different sounds. tim is more groovy (move your pelvis and feet). jeff is more rock and pop (move your head and feet). but, i guess, when it comes to the mellow stuff, they both are as sweet as cinnabon.

i never saw tim live, obv. but i did see jeff, and i've seen few people who can perform with just an ELECTRIC guitar and sing, and have the audience holding their breath until the end of every song.

yay for van!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 1995
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2005, 10:42:10 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
1995 was a big time year for me.  I left my company, opened ggould.com, Jerry Garcia died, which accelerated my AOL biz hyperbolically, and I took up golf.

And at the very end of the year, my dad died of melanoma.

i don't remember 1995. i think i was working at chope. i turned 18. i bought a red nissan pickup. i lived in a basement apartment in the sunset. maybe paul heaton was in there somewhere.

I think I was in school (the late Computer Learning Center), training for the fine career I now enjoy.  Change of life days.  Don't remember much about the music of the time, only that the Macarena craze was pathetic.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2005, 10:44:52 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

In at number two, Ezra.

jinx on your jinx!

and a pox on your sox!

Just to clarify... isn't it Jinx protocol that the original poster then "jinx!"-es the duplicate poster for being late?  Or does it matter?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2005, 10:45:14 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

I think I was in school (the late Computer Learning Center), training for the fine career I now enjoy.  Change of life days.  Don't remember much about the music of the time, only that the Macarena craze was pathetic.

the clc is gone?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2005, 10:46:21 AM »
Don't remember much about the music of the time, only that the Macarena craze was pathetic.

Indeed, it's basically a rip-off of the Hokey-Pokey. Now the Lambada -- that was a dance (and a better record, too).

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »

the clc is gone?

Yes.  Not sure exactly what happened, but they were more than a little shady.  They depended upon federal money -- grants and student loans -- to stay solvent, and had to prove that they actually got people employed.  I think they faked some stuff, got in legal trouble, and finally went bankrupt...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2005, 11:03:11 AM »
my 1995 story is:  In January I came back to the Bay Area for the baptism of my 2nd niece & also spent a few days in St. Louis with my folks before returning to Taiwan for the remainder of the Chinese New Year vacation.  During this time I told one & all that I was breaking up with my American ex-pat girlfriend in Taiwan and (since I'd already had a failed relationship with a Taiwanese girl) I had absolutley NO PLANS to  hook up with anybody during the rest of my stay in Taiwan.  I predicted that I probably wouldn't get married for a long time, certainly not until I returned eventually to grad school.  My mom didn't like to hear this, since my two younger brothers had already each been married for 6 years.  

I then went back to Taiwan for about 16 hours, collected my housemate Tom & we hightailed it to HK & China for the last 9 days of our holiday break, which was a really great trip but featured the bus ride from hell getting back to HK from the interior of China.  I was also supposed to pick up my renewed visa while in HK (since no one has diplomatic relations with Taiwan this has to be done in HK), but the Taiwan school sponsoring me screwed it up & I had an unplanned 5 day stay in HK until things were straightened out.  Fortunately I had acquaintances with a company-paid flat in one of the nice highrises & they agreed to put me up.  During this time Tom was the only person who knew where I was & I had no demands on my time or any possibility of doing anything constructive.  It was very liberating to be that completely unburdened.  My HK friends had a Filipino maid who cooked for me & did my laundry without being asked.  Pure bliss.

I finally got my visa & returned to teach in Taiwan.  During the first class I taught after coming back I noticed a new teacher in the adjacent classroom.  Our 9th anniversary is in a couple of weeks.

--Carlos Santana, 2010