Author Topic: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's  (Read 21576 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
I'm not holding my breath for them to read that one on-air.  :-}

LOL! It's a terrific email, Darryl. Right on!  Cumulus truly sucks.

yeah, it's great.  I will give them major props if they read any of it. 

But they won't, b/c everything you mention points to the morning show crew spewing the corporate spin over the truth.    Either that or Peter is just dumb and didn't realize what he was reading.  Either case is bad.

Yes, prime radio jobs are hard to get and keep, but isn't Peter supposed to be the news guy?   news on KFOG is pretty light.  I get the same depth of detail and nuance if I call into the kitchen and ask the SO to read the headlines and first few words from the Chron front page.  (His Fog Files can be interesting, though..  "I'm Peter Finch with another edition of .. (pause).. The Fog Files.") 

Funny, Del Vigil, reporter at the Chron, was very outspoken about the recent downsizing at the paper.  He took out an huge ad (PDF) in the Examiner lambasting Hearst's dealings in this whole thing as layoffs, buyouts and union restructuring were going on.  Del was then laid off himself.

Del wrote on the Newspaper Guild site an article which asked, in essence, "Why is it that journalists are allowed (and even encouraged) to publicly challenge, question and criticize everyone else’s boss -- except for their own?"  (http://www.mediaworkers.org/index.php?ID=6503)

Sometimes digging up and airing the truth could get you fired.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower
yes, it gets you fired. The right to free speech def. has negative ramifications.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »
Let us know if you receive a reply!

Darryl, that was a great note.

And Ali - great to see you here!  It's been a while!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »
Let us know if you receive a reply!

Darryl, that was a great note.

And Ali - great to see you here!  It's been a while!
Yeah, I'm missing out on a lot. Too much time spent at work and the payback isn't nearly enough. I'm a trooper and doing what it takes to get by. Luckily the time I spend is with nice people.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
I think someone else may have mentioned this, but between the Neil Young and 79 sets in today's marathon they played an old (Dave era) promo that still refers to Dave Morey by name...gotta get that stuff cleaned up.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
I think someone else may have mentioned this, but between the Neil Young and 79 sets in today's marathon they played an old (Dave era) promo that still refers to Dave Morey by name...gotta get that stuff cleaned up.

Yes... they played that the other nite before the 10pm replay too.  And then they played a Dave-and-Don "our favorite show" intro! They had to play a couple of commercials and regroup.  And last nite they didn't get the replay going until 10:15.

Another point worth mentioning -- it would seem that the "10@10 Birthday Club" is dead, unless AL gets a huge outcry from Fogheads asking where it went. Granted, she's still finding her feet with 10@10:TNG, but it would probably make management happy if it went away; I used to hear Dave reading B-day greetings to people and imagined the "suits" cringing in their offices, since rarely were any of the "birthday kids" under 50.

And it occurred to me this morning that AL did her first 1979 set without playing "I Do The Rock", which we know is a fave of hers. Next time fer sure.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
10:00 meeting today -- I'll have to catch AL on the replay.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 09:51:32 AM »
That's awesome Geoff -- kudos. My heart's at half-mast too.

Very nice indeed. (applause)

Just checked. Dave's pics, blog, and the streaming files of his last Morning Show are still up on the KFOG site, but I'd assume they'll be gone by Monday morning. If anyone wants to save any of them just for old time's sake, do it now.

They have finally taken down the links to the sound files of Dave's last show. At least they aren't on the Morning Show page any longer. However, they still have Dave's pic on the Airstaff page.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
That's awesome Geoff -- kudos. My heart's at half-mast too.

Very nice indeed. (applause)

Just checked. Dave's pics, blog, and the streaming files of his last Morning Show are still up on the KFOG site, but I'd assume they'll be gone by Monday morning. If anyone wants to save any of them just for old time's sake, do it now.

They have finally taken down the links to the sound files of Dave's last show. At least they aren't on the Morning Show page any longer. However, they still have Dave's pic on the Airstaff page.

The last vestige of Dave's existence seems to have been removed from the KFOG site--his pic has finally been taken down from the Airstaff page. It was there last week, but I just looked again, and they're down to 7 pics--four of whom are on the Morning Show, and three for the entire rest of the day/week.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »
Where's the picture of the computer that forces, er, recommends highly that they play Snow Patrol 2.5 times a day?  :-}

Actually, I can't complain too much about the current top 30 for August thus far.  At least those Coldplay tracks are low on the list.

51 Kings of Leon   USE SOMEBODY    Only by the Night
     45 SNOW PATROL     CRACK THE SHUTTERS      Hundred Million Suns
     43 Bell X1 THE GREAT DEFECTOR      Blue Lights on the Runway
     41 MAT KEARNEY     CLOSER TO LOVE
     39 GREEN DAY       21 GUNS
     32 DAVID GRAY      FUGITIVE
     30 Death Cab for Cutie     I WILL POSESS YOUR HEART        Narrow Stairs
     29 The Fray        YOU FOUND ME    Fray
     29 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE     LITTLE BRIBES
     29 DAVID BYRNE     STRANGE OVERTONES
     28 U2      I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T        No Line on the Horizon [CD/DVD] [limited Edition]
     27 Rob Thomas      HER DIAMONDS    Cradlesong
     27 COLDPLAY        LOVERS IN JAPAN Viva la Vida
     27 Bruce Springsteen       MY LUCKY DAY    Working on a Dream [Bonus Tracks]
     26 MATT NATHANSON  COME ON GET HIGHER      Some Mad Hope
     22 TORI AMOS       WELCOME TO ENGLAND
     20 BOB DYLAN       BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
     19 The Killers     HUMAN   Day and Age
     19 James Morrison  NOTHING EVER HURT LIKE YOU      Songs for You, Truths for Me
     19 COLDPLAY        LIFE IN TECHNOCOLOR II

BTW, I have the files of Dave's last shows saved somewhere.  Let me know if anybody needs them.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 05:56:14 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but just wanted to observe that today is the first anniversary of DM's retirement. Hope he is happy and having fun on the frozen shores of Lake Michigan--or whichever one it is. And is no longer being beset by any obsessed crazies.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but just wanted to observe that today is the first anniversary of DM's retirement. Hope he is happy and having fun on the frozen shores of Lake Michigan--or whichever one it is. And is no longer being beset by any obsessed crazies.

Dittoes.

BTW, after reading your post, I saw Daryl's above from August with the top 5 KFOG tracks back then according to airplay

51 Kings of Leon   USE SOMEBODY    Only by the Night
     45 SNOW PATROL     CRACK THE SHUTTERS      Hundred Million Suns
     43 Bell X1 THE GREAT DEFECTOR      Blue Lights on the Runway
     41 MAT KEARNEY     CLOSER TO LOVE
     39 GREEN DAY       21 GUNS

Jeezus, Kings of Leon and "21 Guns" which are STILL among the top 2 or 3, probably, along with that DMB "Why I Am" thing.  And BTW, Urth, I saw that Ent Weekly named "21 Guns" one of their 10 Best Singles of the Year.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »

Dittoes.

BTW, after reading your post, I saw Daryl's above from August with the top 5 KFOG tracks back then according to airplay

51 Kings of Leon   USE SOMEBODY    Only by the Night
     45 SNOW PATROL     CRACK THE SHUTTERS      Hundred Million Suns
     43 Bell X1 THE GREAT DEFECTOR      Blue Lights on the Runway
     41 MAT KEARNEY     CLOSER TO LOVE
     39 GREEN DAY       21 GUNS

Jeezus, Kings of Leon and "21 Guns" which are STILL among the top 2 or 3, probably, along with that DMB "Why I Am" thing.  And BTW, Urth, I saw that Ent Weekly named "21 Guns" one of their 10 Best Singles of the Year.

Actually it probably is, but I've heard it so damn often (mostly in the 20 minute span between 10:40 and 11am) that I'm still sick of it. I am curious what the other 9 singles are. I am guessing that the over/under on the number of them that I'd recognize is probably somewhere in the vicinity of 2, or maybe 3.

Btw, that gawdawful Rob Thomas song that's a bit further down the list is still getting a pretty strong push too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:43:55 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.