Author Topic: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's  (Read 21582 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »
Sorry, Annalisa-haters...

OTOH, they're very explicitly soliciting suggestions.  Well, step up, folks.

--Darryl

Date:  Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:15 AM
Subject:  KFOG's 10@10

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dear Foghead,

Thank you for a terrific start to a very unique year.  Because of you, we came together for a spectacular night of fireworks at KaBoom, donated over $300,000 to Bay Area Food Banks through Live From the Archives and soon we'll devote a full month celebrating some of the Bay Area's best during Local Music Month.  We say it often because it's true...we couldn't do it without you.

It's also been a year of change for all of us.  Our beloved Dave Morey is now happily retired.  And while our wish was to have Dave continue as host, his commitment to 10@10 will wrap up this month.  Coincidentally, the incomparable Don Pardo has also announced his retirement (at age 91!).  As you can imagine, this will mean a few changes to KFOG's 10@10.

As always, we look to you, Fogheads, for your input. 

KFOG's 10@10 will continue to deliver 10 great songs from one great year covering everything from the '60s to today.  We'll add in a lot of your favorite 10@10s including classic 10@10s from over the years, Foghead 10@10 sets handpicked by you, as well as themed 10@10s voted by you.  And it will be you, the Fogheads, who will vote each 10@10's "Best of Set."

And we found the perfect host to introduce each day's 10@10 while allowing the music, news and additional audio highlights speak for themselves.  Drum roll, please.

Starting Monday, June 1st, our very own Annalisa will take the baton as your new host for KFOG's 10@10.  (She'll also continue as KFOG Midday Host on KFOG 104.5/97.7.)

You may already know this but Annalisa is a self-proclaimed music junkie, a phenomenal lady and she couldn't be more excited!  Most importantly, she wants to hear from you.

So tell us and Annalisa ... what would you like to hear on KFOG's 10@10? Email us at fogheademail@kfog.com.

10@10 is a Foghead tradition as much as it's been a KFOG tradition.  We're looking forward to hearing your contributions as we grow 10@10 in the days ahead.   You can also email good wishes to Annalisa.  (It's always great to have support from friends when starting a new gig!)

Include your name and mailing address.we'll send you a KFOG New Music Sampler as a small token of our thanks for your input.  (While supplies last.)

Thanks, again, Fogheads.  Now, who can guess which year Annalisa will pick for her first 10@10?  We'll find out together on Monday!

Love,
KFOG
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:40:10 AM by ggould »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
Thanks, Darryl, for beating me to the post.

Ugh.  Condescension tastes like cough syrup. "while our wish was to have Dave continue as host": oh, eat me.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »
This is, like, so un-phenomenal.

She has good musical taste, no argument there, but I hope she keeps the buzzer sound after the last song ("Uh Oh, that's Tune number Ten, and our time is up!"). That way I know exactly when I have to run run RUN to the radio and turn the volume down.   :P

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:30:34 AM »
Thanks, Darryl, for beating me to the post.

Ugh.  Condescension tastes like cough syrup. "while our wish was to have Dave continue as host": oh, eat me.

So today's '73 set is Dave's swan-song, sorta. Wonder what, if anything, they'll say on-air today.

So, if they can't use his voice (as he has said) then how are they gonna "mix in old favorite 10@10s"? I mean, either they can use him or not.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:45:53 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »
whoa!  looks like someone used that mysterious "Split Topic" function! 

nice job
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »

nice job

indeed!

BTW, today's set-list is already posted on the KFOG website -- no spoilers from me, but it's a cracker. And if it wasn't specifically chosen to be Dave's last, then the last song is an aMAYzing coincidence.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »
Well, interesting news.  I'll go in with an open mind.  At least they'll be fresh.  Mostly.    ???
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »

nice job

indeed!

BTW, today's set-list is already posted on the KFOG website -- no spoilers from me, but it's a cracker. And if it wasn't specifically chosen to be Dave's last, then the last song is an aMAYzing coincidence.

Dang just got pulled into a 10 oclock meeting.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »

nice job

indeed!

perhaps it's good I can't 'listen live' as that song in this setting would surely spawn tears.
 :'(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:49:16 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote the email works in the station, and whoever made the decision to refuse Dave's proposal to continue does not.  I  bet I know exactly how the person who composed that felt & what the alternate email they composed in their head would read if it wouldn't get them fired:

It's also been a year of change for all of us.  Our beloved Dave Morey is now happily retired.  And while our wish was to have Dave continue as host, and he had strongly expressed his desire to continue & made a very reasonable proposal to KFOG's owners to do so, those heartless fuckers who own the station screwed it up and ruined the negotiations because they simply didn't want to pay Dave a single penny for his efforts.  Even though everyone here who knew Dave wanted him to continue, his commitment to 10@10 will wrap up this month.  Coincidentally, the incomparable Don Pardo has also announced his retirement (at age 91!), which gives the owners yet another convenient excuse to stop paying for the rights to use recordings of his voice made many years ago. 

And we found the perfect host to introduce each day's 10@10 while allowing the music, news and additional audio highlights speak for themselves.  Drum roll, please.

Starting Monday, June 1st, our very own Annalisa will take the baton as your new host for KFOG's 10@10.  She'll also continue as KFOG Midday Host on KFOG 104.5/97.7,
which means she now has to work an extra hour of on-air time every day, and do at least another half hour of prep beforehand.  You can be sure the heartless fuckers aren't compensating her either, and most likely told her she had to do it or else they'd get rid of her like they did Benson.

Doubtlessly my take is flavored by what I've been going through a lot lately at work: Some idiotic upper managment decisions/policies that I had argued against still happen & then I have to
a)  be the deliverer of bad/unpleasant news to people I like a lot better than my upper mgmt,
b)  spin-doctor it to make it sound nicer than anyone would believe for a second, so I'm pretty sure that they know I'm being disingenuous, at best,
c)  know all along that I can't tell the whole story, even though I firmly believe that it's not only more ethical to do so but much better business practice,
d)  bear the brunt of the recipients' displeasure, and
e)  take all the blame.

What's funny is telling my Taiwanese wife all of the above about my Taiwanese upper mgmt, and hear her get even more pissed at them than I do!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:52:45 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »

nice job

indeed!

I'm not gonna look, but I've got a guess what the last song is. Tell you after the set if I was right or not.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »

nice job

indeed!

I'm not gonna look, but I've got a guess what the last song is. Tell you after the set if I was right or not.

I'm guessing "So Very Hard to Go."  Which will choke me up if I'm right.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »

nice job

indeed!

I see the clue, but I can't think of what it could be...   May, may....

Superfly by Curtis MAYfield? 
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »

nice job

indeed!

I'll give you a hint, the MAY bit is not a clue, just Mike trying to enunciate the syllable in typeface.  But it is just about the most appropo lyric you could imagine.  I have a funny feeling Webster picked it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »

nice job

indeed!

I'll give you a hint, the MAY bit is not a clue, just Mike trying to enunciate the syllable in typeface.  But it is just about the most appropo lyric you could imagine.  I have a funny feeling Webster picked it.

"Dave's Not Here" by Cheech and Chong?

;)

~CPL593H~