Author Topic: RIP Pete Seeger, 94  (Read 3575 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Pete Seeger, 94
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:56:28 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: RIP Pete Seeger, 94
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »
Wow, major news, nothing of course on KFOG this morning.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »

indeed. But if it had been Pete Yorn they'd be doing a major retrospective. sad.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »

indeed. But if it had been Pete Yorn they'd be doing a major retrospective. sad.
I know Seeger is not the kind of music they play, i just think he's historic, iconic, etc.  And I don't think those words are hyperbole in his case.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »

I know Seeger is not the kind of music they play, i just think he's historic, iconic, etc.  And I don't think those words are hyperbole in his case.

It reminds me of the WNEW-FM story -- they were the major prog-FM station in NY for decades and were *THE* place everyone tuned to when John Lennon died.  15 years later they were trying to be "younger" while still playing a lot of older rock, and when Jerry Garcia died it was barely mentioned. That's when everybody knew the station no longer cared about its original core audience.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »

It reminds me of the WNEW-FM story -- they were the major prog-FM station in NY for decades and were *THE* place everyone tuned to when John Lennon died.  15 years later they were trying to be "younger" while still playing a lot of older rock, and when Jerry Garcia died it was barely mentioned. That's when everybody knew the station no longer cared about its original core audience.

I think the Webster/Irish Greg version of the morning show did a phone interview with Seeger one day, and they both knew his importance (that's why they called him, of course).  Mr. Seeger was really pessimistic about some recent global event, and his anger and resignation pretty much surprised everyone in the studio.  I think Seeger has/had this reputation with some like "Let's all put flowers in the gun barrels and give out hugs to solve the world's problems," but the man was consistently pissed off about things that matter and that's what drove him his whole life.  He saw a bigger picture. He'd been around long enough, never putting his head in the sand, and so saw how things were going.  I heard his son on NPR today talk about how Seeger was always horrified that a single moody, power-hungry egomaniacal world leader could end it all with the push of a button. That's a horror tory that won't go away.
~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »

I left the NYC Metro area in the mid-70s, but on return visits through the '80s it was clear that
'NEW had shrugged off the mantle of being a progressive FM station years before Garcia's passing.

Renee played Little Boxes this morning somewhere around 11:30.

For me, one of the touchstones of just how repressed the 1950s were is the fact that the
Weavers were blacklisted.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"