Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 464202 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The "new" 95.7 signed on at 7:50am: "The Wolf", a country station.

First song: "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"

Max was a pretty short run eh?
I heard the new format this morning. Took me by surprise. Guess I should have read my email from Max yesterday saying bye and hinting at the new format.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2007, 09:45:28 AM »
And lo, at apx 12:27, it happened:

Following Bananarama's "Venus", a promo and a commercial, they just switched to a computer-voiced "countdown" -- "T-minus 19 hours, 23 minutes and counting..."  MAX-FM is dead.

I heard that countdown thing, after about three or four of those "T-minus 19 hours, 23 minutes, 43 seconds and counting..."  bits the same computer modulated voice would say something patently silly, such as "Does the water ripple when a frog farts?".

Sorry to see Max go, but I'll trade it for getting Channel 104.9 back.  They are playing a much more interesting mix of music than Live 105 right now, and since they are still so new, not many comercials.  Good stuff.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2007, 10:00:01 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
And lo, at apx 12:27, it happened:

Following Bananarama's "Venus", a promo and a commercial, they just switched to a computer-voiced "countdown" -- "T-minus 19 hours, 23 minutes and counting..."  MAX-FM is dead.

I heard that countdown thing, after about three or four of those "T-minus 19 hours, 23 minutes, 43 seconds and counting..."  bits the same computer modulated voice would say something patently silly, such as "Does the water ripple when a frog farts?".

Sorry to see Max go, but I'll trade it for getting Channel 104.9 back.  They are playing a much more interesting mix of music than Live 105 right now, and since they are still so new, not many comercials.  Good stuff.

More switches to come: Entercom, the folks who now own MAX, er, "The Wolf", also own KDFC and rumors are rampant that its classical format is doomed. And Bonneville, having also given KOIT-FM to Entercom, is selling KOIT-AM which would obviously get a new format.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
More switches to come: Entercom, the folks who now own MAX, er, "The Wolf", also own KDFC and rumors are rampant that its classical format is doomed. And Bonneville, having also given KOIT-FM to Entercom, is selling KOIT-AM which would obviously get a new format.

that would suck.  how could a metro area as sophisticated as ours not support a classical station better than whatever else they could think of in a market as crowded as this in every other format?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

that would suck.  how could a metro area as sophisticated as ours not support a classical station better than whatever else they could think of in a market as crowded as this in every other format?

I agree. Sadly, Entercom doesn't own any classical stations, and new owners tend to go with what they know.  KDFC does very well, however, and I can't imagine any other format that would make money in the crowded, fragmented SF market.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2007, 08:49:38 PM »
Mike, help me out, I'm sure you can tell me where to look, maybe before I find. I need to know what stations Asian professionals, age 25-44 are listening to in the San Jose, Silicon Valley, even SF market. I haven't found the info online yet. Can you guide me?

I found http://radiostationworld.com/Locations/United_States_of_America/California/radio.asp?m=sfr
but think I need to know who owns what so I can go to the source to ask about their demographic data.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Mike, help me out, I'm sure you can tell me where to look, maybe before I find. I need to know what stations Asian professionals, age 25-44 are listening to in the San Jose, Silicon Valley, even SF market. I haven't found the info online yet. Can you guide me?

Seriously... I have no clue. Are you talking about "assimilated", 2nd & 3rd generation Asians? They probably listen to the same stations as white professionals. If you mean Asians for whom their primary languages are Chinese, Japanese etc... well, I dunno. There is an AM station, KVTO 1400 AM that airs various Asian programming.  But "Asian" is a way-too-broad rubric, we're talking about a lot of different conflicting cultures there.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »

I found http://radiostationworld.com/Locations/United_States_of_America/California/radio.asp?m=sfr
but think I need to know who owns what so I can go to the source to ask about their demographic data.

"The Malaysian Station for the Asian Persuasion!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2007, 09:41:09 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

"The Malaysian Station for the Asian Persuasion!"

Thanks. I found that one today. Actually found two to go with that will hopefully payoff.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #294 on: May 01, 2007, 09:36:15 PM »
Not local, but kind of interesting: "Lone Star 92.5" in Dallas/Ft Worth is trying its hand at a country/rock hybrid format, something that's been tried many times in many cities, usually to not-much-success.  But here's a sample hour:

ZZ Top, "La Grange"
Allman Brothers, "Melissa"
Whiskeytown, "Bar Lights"
George Thorogood, "If You Don't Start Drinking (I'm Gonna Leave)"
CCR, "Bad Moon Rising"
Pat Green, "Dixie Lullaby"
Black Crowes, "Remedy"
Blackfoot, "Highway Song"
David Allan Coe, "You Never Even Called Me By My Name"
Outlaws, "There Goes Another Love Song"
Bruce Springsteen, "Badlands"
Drive By Truckers, "Let There Be Rock"

Sounds sorta like KPIG without the hippie politics.  They're streaming their audio, or so I'm told.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #295 on: May 01, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »
Sounds very interesting!  I'd listen for a while, if only to expand my horizons (I remained biased against southern-fried rock, probably because I'm biased against southern-fried politics and I have trouble separating the two).  What's the format called?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2007, 07:58:54 AM »
Sounds very interesting!  I'd listen for a while, if only to expand my horizons (I remained biased against southern-fried rock, probably because I'm biased against southern-fried politics and I have trouble separating the two).  What's the format called?

It's been called many things over the years; in the early '90s it was called "Thunder Country" (which was more of a male-leaning country format with Southern Rock thrown in) and more recently someone called it "Mother Trucker" (!).  I'll find their stream and check 'em out after 10@10.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2007, 04:20:23 PM »

It's been called many things over the years; in the early '90s it was called "Thunder Country" (which was more of a male-leaning country format with Southern Rock thrown in) and more recently someone called it "Mother Trucker" (!).  I'll find their stream and check 'em out after 10@10.

Clear Channel Launches Commercial-Free "Lone Star 92.5"

April 23, 2007

Clear Channel unveiled a new format today in Dallas, as Classic Rock KZPS flipped to "Lone Star 92.5." After being tried out as an HD-2 side channel, the new format mixes "outlaw" Country with Southern Rock and Alt-Country music. The Lone Star format was created by programmer Duane Doherty, who says, "All we had on the HD-2 channel was the music and the response was incredible. In a sense, we’re recapturing the early days of FM – when your jock was a trusted guide through what was new and important. Lone Star is the music we love in Dallas without the hype.”

Also, Lone Star 92.5 will not air traditional spots. Instead, the station will have "sponsors" whose content will be integrated in throughout the hour. “There’s a credibility and an authenticity of partnering with sponsors who share our passion for this music,” said Kelly Kibler, director of sales for CC Radio/Dallas. “We’ll only have one airline, one cellular carrier, one beer. This is about sharing an experience and a commitment to the incredible creativity of these artists. To do that honestly and well, you have to step up. Traditional commercials are fine for many radio formats, they just didn’t work here.”

Lone Star 92.5 will feature such artists as ZZ Top, The Old 97's, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and of course, Willie Nelson. In fact, the Red Headed Stranger will also serve as the voice of the station.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
"Free-FM" is DEAD!!! Long live... KFRC???

Yes, KFRC is back only now they're at 106.9, replacing the dreaful, ill-fated "Free FM" talk format that never took off.  Oldies are back in SF as of 4pm today, or so I'm told.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2007, 04:32:14 PM »
"Free-FM" is DEAD!!! Long live... KFRC???

Yes, KFRC is back only now they're at 106.9, replacing the dreaful, ill-fated "Free FM" talk format that never took off.  Oldies are back in SF as of 4pm today, or so I'm told.

Oldsters from Rossmoor to Daly City are rejoicing as we speak.
Let's get right to it.