Author Topic: 17 Nov 2008: It's 1973  (Read 13637 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 17 Nov 2008: It's 1973
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »
Magnavox Odyssey (with mind blowing graphics)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
once I used to join in
ever boy and girl was my friend

BOS (lost count) Tull!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
A little party with the Allman Bros...

A friend of ours grew up in Watkins Glen, and was a child there when that show took place. She said there were people everywhere, walking thru yards, camping everywhere, dressed (or undressed) in all manner of garb, and all sorts of mayhem. She remembers it being just very odd, but I imagine her parents had a different view of things.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »
You get another 10 if you can explain the origin of the product name.

I should know this: I'm from Rochester and have been to the Geo Eastman House many times, but I'll have to guess:
I think he and his mother just thought it sounded good....?

btw, I was going to say it was named after the Kodiak bear:  I know Eastman was an avid hunter, he went on African safaris, hunted big game as gentlemen of the era did to prove their manhood, but he came up w the name well before he was wealthy from Kodak. 
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
ETA: oops..

in re: Watkins Glen

My older brother went to this.  He saved $10 by sneaking in through a breach in the hippie fence.  He said lots of others did the same. 
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 10:48:24 AM »

I should know this: I'm from Rochester and have been to the Geo Eastman House many times, but I'll have to guess:

btw, I was going to say it was named after the Kodiak bear:  I know Eastman was an avid hunter, he went on African safaris, hunted big game as gentlemen of the era did to prove their manhood, but he came up w the name well before he was wealthy from Kodak. 

I think it's just cause he liked the sound of the "K"s.  Right?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »

I think it's just cause he liked the sound of the "K"s.  Right?

well, you're close.  He thought "kodak" was the sound the camera shutter made when you took a picture. So it could've easily been Eastman-Kerchunk or something.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 10:55:08 AM »
According to wikipedia, it's just a made up name, but they mention at least one other apocryphal origin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastman_Kodak

(Mike, go edit the entry!)

fwiw, the answer to my frink point question is: Horton Hears A Who (according to IMDb, Osgood's only acting role.  Probably Alicat or Davefish are the only other ones who could have conceivably seen that movie.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
According to wikipedia, it's just a made up name, but they mention at least one other apocryphal origin:

I stand by my rumor -- I've been hearing that story for years!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 11:12:16 AM »
Did anyone attend any of these 1973 Bay Area concerts?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »

I stand by my rumor -- I've been hearing that story for years!

per the Eastman House web site

Where did the name Kodak come from?

Kodak remains today the most recognizable brand name in the world (tied with Coca-Cola). George Eastman made up the name in 1888. He remarked to a magazine editor in 1920, “The letter K has been a favorite with me. It seems a strong, incisive sort of letter.” It is also believed that the letter K was chosen in homage to his mother's maiden name, Kilbourn. With his mother, Mr. Eastman tried a number of letter combinations, creating words that started and ended with the letter K. Eventually, he settled on Kodak, a name universally identifiable and not translatable to any other meaning in any other language (an important aspect for marketing and patenting). On safari in Africa however, Eastman visited a native village called Kodok.

... and if you surf over there, check out his suicide note.  very pithy.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »
Eventually, he settled on Kodak, a name universally identifiable and not translatable to any other meaning in any other

a very important (and forward-looking) point, as Chevy found out when they tried to sell the Nova in Mexico!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:19:10 PM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »
Eventually, he settled on Kodak, a name universally identifiable and not translatable to any other meaning in any other language (an important aspect for marketing and patenting).
[/i]

a very important (and forward-looking) point, as Chevy found out when they tried to sell the Nova in Mexico!

I recall hearing that Exxon ran into that problem in the Far East with one or another of their previous corporate identities (Enco? Esso?) which forced their name change to Exxon.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Eventually, he settled on Kodak, a name universally identifiable and not translatable to any other meaning in any other language (an important aspect for marketing and patenting).

I recall hearing that Exxon ran into that problem in the Far East with one or another of their previous corporate identities (Enco? Esso?) which forced their name change to Exxon.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »
in addition to the Chevy Nova ('no va' means 'it doesn't go' in Spanish), here are a few other branding mistakes I've heard about:

1.)  East coasters among us will remember Wise potato chips, which predated Lay's by over a decade & used to come in a bag somewhat greener than this image...

...but when they expanded into SE Asia their sales were pratically zero, because no one told them that in local Malay & Indondesian culture the owl & the color green were both considered harbingers of Death.

2.)  On the flip side, Coca Cola first tried to launch a major marketing campaign in China during the time that their main slogan was "Coke Adds Life".  Unfortunately they apparently only checked the dictionary & not someone conversant in colloquial meanings, because the characters they chose - while literally meaning "Coke Adds Life" - much more strongly connoted "Coke Will Resurrect Your Ancestors".

3.)  Back to Mexico, much more recently the 'Got Milk?' campaign went south of the border, but again the dictionary translation - 'Tienes Leche?' is a phrase that doesn't quite mean what you think it does.  In fact this is only used when one is asking a new mother, 'Are You Lactating?'

--Carlos Santana, 2010