Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097398 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1200 on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
this could be cross-ref'd in the Food Thread in re: the discussion about the
tv show Weeds, but KFOG just played a song whose lyrics started w the word "Taint."

know it?

"Taint-ed Love"? "T'aint Nobody's Business If I Do"?

I meant to mention yesterday that Tuesday nite, just before the 10@10 replay, I heard that Aimee Mann "Coming Up Close" song -- I don't believe I've ever heard it in regular KFOG rotation, despite it being a Dave fave. Maybe Daryl can confirm if that's an oddity or not.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1201 on: April 02, 2009, 09:51:11 AM »
tv show Weeds, but KFOG just played a song whose lyrics started w the word "Taint."

know it?

I meant to mention yesterday that Tuesday nite, just before the 10@10 replay, I heard that Aimee Mann "Coming Up Close" song -- I don't believe I've ever heard it in regular KFOG rotation, despite it being a Dave fave. Maybe Daryl can confirm if that's an oddity or not.
I've certainly heard it.  I don't listen to other stations besides KPIG for music.  Must have been KFOG.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 02, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »

know it?

good ones, but I meant the lyrics -- not title -- began w the singer singing "Taint..." 

hint: the biggest hit for this glam band.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:15:32 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 02, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »

know it?

good ones, but I meant the lyrics -- not title -- began w the singer singing "Taint..." 

Taint: no big thing!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »

know it?

Taint: no big thing!

me say yes!
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 02, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
know it?

"Love is the Drug" - Roxy Music !!!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 03, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »
Just for fun, a personal 10 song Chain of Fools:

Chain of Fools, Aretha
Fools in Love, Joe Jackson...

Rod! Webster read your email (and your chain) on the Morning show at around 6:20.  Greg said "I wish he'd been with us on Wednesday!" Congrats!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 03, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »
Just for fun, a personal 10 song Chain of Fools:

Chain of Fools, Aretha
Fools in Love, Joe Jackson...

Rod! Webster read your email (and your chain) on the Morning show at around 6:20.  Greg said "I wish he'd been with us on Wednesday!" Congrats!

Cool.  I was playing around on the internet that night, and decided to give it a shot.  I knew that if the did do something with it, it was unlikely I'd be awake to hear it...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
the Morning Show is doing a baseball-themed  "request-o-rama-o-rama" all morning.  One winner --who clearly had been edited to disguise his hemming and hawing and "I have no idea what I wanna hear"-ishness, finally said "anyone but Springsteen" -- and they still had to press him to name at least an artist if not a song. So then he said Squeeze.

ETA: the 9:00 Pop Quiz winner also got to make a request and he asked for Fogerty's "Centerfield", which we heard at 6am. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:12:41 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 08, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
BIG NEWS. From radio-info.com:

Dave Benson, PD at San Francisco's KFOG, is leaving after 9 years

Cumulus GM Tony Salvadore tells the staff (in a memo posted at the San Francisco board of Radio-Info) that the respected adult alternative and classic rock programmer is leaving later this week. The note says “It is with regret that I must inform you that Dave Benson is leaving Cumulus/S.F. After 9 years, his work on behalf of KFOG [104.5] and more recently his work on behalf of the Bone [classic rock KSAN at 107.7] has been nothing short of spectacular. In a business that is changing very quickly, these are the kind of changes that are inevitable. Dave will always be thought of as an important part of the history that is KFOG.

Dave will be with us over the next few days, please stop by and wish him well."

Another thread on radio-info says that Haley Jones and Benson were once an item but she's now engaged to someone else.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:27:51 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 08, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »

Cumulus GM Tony Salvadore tells the staff (in a memo posted at the San Francisco board of Radio-Info) that the respected adult alternative and classic rock programmer is leaving later this week. The note says “It is with regret that I must inform you that Dave Benson is leaving Cumulus/S.F. After 9 years, his work on behalf of KFOG [104.5] and more recently his work on behalf of the Bone [classic rock KSAN at 107.7] has been nothing short of spectacular. In a business that is changing very quickly, these are the kind of changes that are inevitable. Dave will always be thought of as an important part of the history that is KFOG.

Another thread on radio-info says that Haley Jones and Benson were once an item but she's now engaged to someone else.

so Benson is the PD, then who is the MD?  and which of these titles is really responsible for the (IMHO) mostly tepid programming we typically hear on KFOG?  I think I heard KFOG's share is decreasing -- maybe from a Ben Fong Torres piece in the Chronicle -- so perhaps mgt is throwing Benson under the bus thinking the dipping numbers are his fault.   But if they stick with the same tired stuff, they might realize people now are just plain sick of AAA playlists.

what do you think?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:07:30 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 08, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »

so Benson is the PD, then who is the MD?  and which of these titles is really responsible for the (IMHO) mostly tepid programming we typically hear on KFOG?  I think I heard KFOG's share is decreasing -- maybe from a Ben Fong Torres piece in the Chronicle -- so perhaps mgt is throwing Benson under the bus thinking the dipping numbers are his fault.   But if they stick with the same tired stuff, they might realize people now are just plain sick of AAA playlists.

what do you think?

the MD is the woman who does that Sun nite show ("Sideshow"?). It's not clear if Benson's being forced out or is leaving of his own accord. Cumulus (like most companies that own a lot of radio stations) is in deep shite, moneywise.

personally, I think AAA is one of the most boring formats around: Snow Patrol, Coldplay, The Fray and 87 Feist-alikes are my idea of hell and that's why I don't listen to KFOG except for about an hour of the Morning show and 10@10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 08, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »
wow, check this out: a piece on a Chicago radio blog about Benson, including his entire career-ography -- he was once a tour manager for Pat Metheny and is a former roommate of The Drive's Bob Stroud!

http://chicagoradiospotlight.blogspot.com/2007/07/dave-benson.html

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 08, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »

what do you think?

This explains why Kelly Ransford (the MD) did the New Music Thursday bit on the Morning Show last week rather than Benson. He probably had one foot out the door by then, and odds are he won't get the chance to say "bye-bye" like Dave did.

Not sure if KFOG has lost numbers or not. They used to be ranked somewhere in the teens, and iirc, they tied for #9 in the most recent book. Don't know how that translates to numbers, but they've got more stations chasing them than they used to.

And I have a TANC related to this (or maybe it's just a small world): When I was in college I worked on the concert committee for the Associated Students. We put on a Pat Metheny concert in the fall of '81, so odds are I had some contact with Benson way back then. That was a pretty incredible show, as I recall. First time I ever saw or heard a Fairlight synthesizer live. Sounded like they were landing a helicopter right in our gymnasium.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:11:16 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 09, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
The Morning Show is playing listener-requested favorite cover versions today. Someone actually called to suggest Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" and Greg pointed out that it was a "Cover From Hell", thank gawd.

But about a half-hour into the show, a Foghead called and asked... "what's a 'cover song'?" Get this: she thought it had something to do with the album cover! Fogheads drool...