Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097293 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1095 on: January 30, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
Wow, I haven't heard Shawn Mullins' "Rockabye" or "Lullabye" or whatever it's called in a few years.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 03, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »
Wow, Webster's playing EJ's Daniel here at 20 minutes to 10. There's one I haven't heard on KFOG in years--now KOIT is another matter. ;)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 03, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
Wow, Webster's playing EJ's Daniel here at 20 minutes to 10. There's one I haven't heard on KFOG in years--now KOIT is another matter. ;)

It's funny how "Rocket Man" is a regular-rotation Katrina and yet other EJ songs from that era are heard far less often.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 03, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »

It's funny how "Rocket Man" is a regular-rotation Katrina and yet other EJ songs from that era are heard far less often.

Yeah, you'd think Honky Cat, to name one, would work in their format just as well.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 03, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »

Yeah, you'd think Honky Cat, to name one, would work in their format just as well.

I heard that this morning & had similar thoughts.

I probably mentioned this before, but the worst case of musical whiplash I ever suffered was while driving in Santa Barbara & KTYD followed "Daniel" with Guns 'N' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle".

It was literally shocking, I had a physical reaction to it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:53:55 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 03, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »

I heard that this morning & had similar thoughts.

I probably mentioned this before, but the worst case of musical whiplash I ever suffered was while driving in Santa Barbara & KTYD followed "Daniel" with Guns 'N' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle".

It was literally shocking, I had a physical reaction to it.

Back in the '70s in NYC, there was WNEW-FM, the free-form prog station, and there was WPLJ, which had once been free-form but then the owners (ABC) switched them to a tightly-playlisted AOR format  While 'NEW jocks would put together "artistic" sets built around themes, 'PLJ was famous for train-wreck segues -- I actually heard them go from a John Denver ballad to a LedZep rocker more than once. My college-radio friends and I would always refer to a bad segue as a "PLJ segue".  But the one you describe takes the cake.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 03, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
Checked my Yahoo mail just now and found I'd received the KFOG survey, with possibility of attending a panel.

All multiple choice, but at the end there's a text box - Is there anything else you'd like to tell the PD?

So I wrote:

Wondering if Benson ever pays any attention to Little Steven's Underground Garage on sister station KSAN.  Several times a year he plays a new rock song that I & a couple of my friends think woudl be great for KFOG, or at least deserving of a spin at 8:30 on Thursdays.  But the only example I can think of where that has happened in the last couple of years is Kaiser Chiefs "Ruby".

Figured Mike would appreciate that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:16:50 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 03, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

But the one you describe takes the cake.

More like almost crashes the car!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »
Checked my Yahoo mail just now and found I'd received the KFOG survey, with possibility of attending a panel.

All multiple choice, but at the end there's a text box - Is there anything else you'd like to tell the PD?

So I wrote:

Wondering if Benson ever pays any attention to Little Steven's Underground Garage on sister station KSAN.  Several times a year he plays a new rock song that I & a couple of my friends think woudl be great for KFOG, or at least deserving of a spin at 8:30 on Thursdays.  But the only example I can think of where that has happened in the last couple of years is Kaiser Chiefs "Ruby".

I just filled out the survey; they sure seem worried about Live 105 and Alice. I had mentioned Little Steven last time I filled out one of their surveys, so this time in the comments box I said:

It feels like the overplayed "classics" are being played even more often than they used to be (e.g., "Sweet Home Alabama") and the current "heavy rotation" songs are also being played more often.  A lot of good new music is ignored by KFOG; it seems the only way for a new artist to get played is to sound like an artist you already play (e.g. the 6 or 7 women who all sound just like Feist -- enough already!)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1104 on: February 03, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
found I'd received the KFOG survey, with possibility of attending a panel.
Even though I filled in the text box with KPIG, it kept trying to ask me why I like 105!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 04, 2009, 07:48:56 AM »
Even though I filled in the text box with KPIG, it kept trying to ask me why I like 105!

Me too -- I didn't select Live 105 or Alice as options on any of the questions, but they specifically asked about them (and the Bone).

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 04, 2009, 08:48:37 AM »

So I wrote:

I just filled out the survey; they sure seem worried about Live 105 and Alice. I had mentioned Little Steven last time I filled out one of their surveys, so this time in the comments box I said:

It feels like the overplayed "classics" are being played even more often than they used to be (e.g., "Sweet Home Alabama") and the current "heavy rotation" songs are also being played more often.  A lot of good new music is ignored by KFOG; it seems the only way for a new artist to get played is to sound like an artist you already play (e.g. the 6 or 7 women who all sound just like Feist -- enough already!)
I replied yesterday too and made comment about enough of the Feist-a-likes. Music too mellow. My radio in the car finds KUFX, KSAN, 104.9 and LIVE 105 more often than KFOG.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 04, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »

Me too -- I didn't select Live 105 or Alice as options on any of the questions, but they specifically asked about them (and the Bone).

BTW, am i alone in thinking that popular "current" hits come up more often than they used to? Stuff like those Snow Patrol and Fray songs -- jeezus, I wake up to one of those 2 every morning, it seems. (And you'd think O.A.R would have that damn car turned around by now!)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:45:34 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 04, 2009, 10:49:52 AM »
Just heard that New Music promo that mentions Josh Fixx--anyone else think he's channelling Jeff Lynne a bit too hard? His song sounds like it could be an ELO outtake circa 1978.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 04, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »

BTW, am i alone in thinking that popular "current" hits come up more often than they used to? Stuff like those Snow Patrol and Fray songs -- jeezus, I wake up to one of those 2 every morning, it seems. (And you'd think O.A.R would have that damn car turned around by now!)

I like that Snow Patrol song, so every time it comes up I'm all "Yeah!"   but I find myself listening less and less to KFOG these days.  I'm on KPOO, Pirate Cat Radio, KUSF, KQED and The Bone as much as KFOG.

~CPL593H~