Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097304 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3510 on: October 01, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
So, after NINE MONTHS of endless flogging, the KFOG "Boob Project" charity song finally premiered today.  As multiple-artist one-offs go, it's not bad.

But after they played it, some guy called in to say he liked it. And Irish Greg asked, "so... have you been following along as the different pieces of it have been played since January?" and Mr Foghead said "No -- today was the first time I ever heard of it."  Proving once again that Fogheads don't pay attention. Ever.

No-Name, BTW, is riding his motorcycle acroos the US to raise awareness, so the Morning Show with be a little more bearable next week.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:59:15 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: October 15, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
Fairly lengthy Ben Fong-Torres piece on the KFOG Morning crew, including (of course) promotion of the Boob Project.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/KFOG-mornings-No-names-no-big-egos-6540817.php

He also mentions that Renel has left the Kiss-FM morning show (something I predicted might happen when they started trying to skew younger).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:41:51 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: October 20, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
KFOG announced this year's Koncert 4 Kidz yesterday: Gary Clark Jr and Houndmouth @ the Fox in Oakland..

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: November 02, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
Live From the Archives goes live today, with as little fanfare about the release as I’ve seen in years:

http://www.kfog.com/kfog-live-from-the-archives-22/

Last week the tracklist showed up on Peet’s website. I think this was before it was up on KFOG.

Stations have been dropping out, unsurprisingly. The only other station I can find that has confirmed one is KTCZ/Minneapolis. KINK/Portland is usually the first each year (around September or October) but there’s been no word from them. No word yet from KGSR, KBCO, WTTS, or WXRT yet although KGSR’s is supposed to be out after Thanksgiving and the others in December.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: November 03, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »
Live From the Archives goes live today, with as little fanfare about the release as I’ve seen in years:

Last week the tracklist showed up on Peet’s website. I think this was before it was up on KFOG.

Stations have been dropping out, unsurprisingly. The only other station I can find that has confirmed one is KTCZ/Minneapolis. KINK/Portland is usually the first each year (around September or October) but there’s been no word from them. No word yet from KGSR, KBCO, WTTS, or WXRT yet although KGSR’s is supposed to be out after Thanksgiving and the others in December.

Was this the first time it went on sale on a Monday? I seem to recall it was usually a Thurs or Fri; they'd do a LFTA-themed 10@10 and then spend the weekend making appearances at Peets.  This way it fell to Rosalie to do the "on sale tomorrow!" pitch on Acoustic Sunrise.  Maybe they thought that made more sense. But yeah it sure seemed low-key.

Perhaps the fact that CDs are dead (as far as millenials are concerned) is one reason there are less of these collections? The pics they posted of the Renee/Greg/No-Name appearance yesterday showed mostly older Fogheads.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: November 03, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
Fairly lengthy Ben Fong-Torres piece on the KFOG Morning crew, including (of course) promotion of the Boob Project.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/KFOG-mornings-No-names-no-big-egos-6540817.php

He also mentions that Renel has left the Kiss-FM morning show (something I predicted might happen when they started trying to skew younger).

And BFT followed-up with a piece on Renel.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Behind-Renel-s-departure-from-Kiss-6587719.php

They are (finally) admitting she was mostly pre-recorded on the morning show for years (which was painfully obvious to anyone with ears). 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
Today is another World Concern radio-thon on KFOG; this year they're flogging their "send a goat/chicken/tree to a third world family" thing. They basically stole the idea from Heifer Interrnational, which unlike World Concern does not appear to be a religious outfit.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
Someone on that Fogheads for the Old Format FB page posted:

"It seems that KFOG is playing more 'oldies'. What do you think?"

Dunno what that guy is smokin' but I haven't noticed any changes recently -- same ratio of old to current as far as I can see. And there's of course less pre-1980 stuff than ever before but that change happened months ago.  Heard "Suffragette City" this morning, but Bowie is literally the only early-'70s artist they play. "Suff City" and "Changes" and that's about it. As for the rest of that decade, The Cars. Lots and lots of Cars.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: November 12, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I just noticed it. The 10@10 shows are no longer online. Instead, they have Rd-io playing the 10 songs individually, without the clips/production.  ::)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: November 12, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I just noticed it. The 10@10 shows are no longer online. Instead, they have Rd-io playing the 10 songs individually, without the clips/production.  ::)

yes. very sad.  Cumulus owns Rdio apparently.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: November 12, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »

Yes, it pretty much sucks. Happened about three months ago, I think. There were complaints posted on the KFOG FB page when it happened, and someone from the station (Webster?) said at that time they were trying to come up with a means of streaming the full shows, but nothing has happened since. So I guess we know where that went.

http://10at10club.com/forum/index.php?topic=9649.msg186985#msg186985
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: November 16, 2015, 09:36:13 AM »
Renee actually made me laugh out loud this morning: "It's cold this morning. So all you silly hipsters who've been wearing those skullcaps since the summer -- today you finally make sense!"

OTOH, during a discussion re: Mind the Gap, Renee thought Bonnie Tyler did "Bette Davis Eyes" and was dumbfounded when Greg told her that was Kim Carnes.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: November 16, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »

Was this the first time it went on sale on a Monday? I seem to recall it was usually a Thurs or Fri; they'd do a LFTA-themed 10@10 and then spend the weekend making appearances at Peets.  This way it fell to Rosalie to do the "on sale tomorrow!" pitch on Acoustic Sunrise.  Maybe they thought that made more sense. But yeah it sure seemed low-key.

Perhaps the fact that CDs are dead (as far as millenials are concerned) is one reason there are less of these collections? The pics they posted of the Renee/Greg/No-Name appearance yesterday showed mostly older Fogheads.

Yeah, I think the CDs dying are the reason why these are disappearing. ~10 years ago, every station used to sell out of them online the day they were released and in stores not too much later. Now they sit for months on shelves and in some cases, years online. The black market value has also plummeted on older volumes...many of them that were going for ~$30-40 can now be found on amazon for one cent plus shipping. I don’t see these working as digital downloads, as I just don't see people getting excited to go to a release party to pay $16.99 to download a collection of live tracks which are available for streaming on KFOG.com.

I emailed some of the stations to see if they were still making them. KGSR is, in fact their tracklisting went up today and it looks pretty good: http://www.kgsr.com/promotions/broadcasts-cd
KINK says that they are hoping to, but are having licensing issues. Chris Mays (the former PD) left early this year, and she took care of most of that (and at KMTT for many years before when she was PD.) It doesn’t sound promising.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: November 16, 2015, 07:39:43 PM »

Yes, it pretty much sucks. Happened about three months ago, I think. There were complaints posted on the KFOG FB page when it happened, and someone from the station (Webster?) said at that time they were trying to come up with a means of streaming the full shows, but nothing has happened since. So I guess we know where that went.

and now: Rdio is dead. Or about to be. Pandora bought them to shut them down. Good excuse for KFOG to go back to using Soundcloud.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:41 PM »

and now: Rdio is dead. Or about to be. Pandora bought them to shut them down. Good excuse for KFOG to go back to using Soundcloud.

Good for Pandora. Hope they didn't over-pay.
Let's get right to it.