Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097444 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3360 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
NOTE: a *lot* of "welcome back Greg" comments on the KFOG FB page. NoName... notsomuch. "sorry, but i've switched stations because of that guy's voice for years. stop shouting like you're 'straining' on the toilet!" Heh.

I gotta say that I had hoped NoName would dial down the affected "douche-bro" delivery.  Surely he doesn't talk like that 24/7? I would think his voice must be fried after shouting like that for a 4-hour airshift.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:20:12 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 06, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »
I listened to the new show and could barely tolerate an hour of these voices talking over each other.  Doesn’t help that NN & IG’s voices make my ears bleed.

I’ll give it a couple weeks to see if they can get into a groove before dismissing it completely. To be fair, I was not previously a fan of Renee but I ended up liking her solo morning show just fine. Hopefully this will turn out the same.  Also, I have to give the PD credit for trying to keep things interesting.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:08:40 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 07, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
I listened to the new show and could barely tolerate an hour of these voices talking over each other.  Doesn’t help that NN & IG’s voices make my ears bleed.

I’ll give it a couple weeks to see if they can get into a groove before dismissing it completely. To be fair, I was not previously a fan of Renee but I ended up liking her solo morning show just fine. Hopefully this will turn out the same.  Also, I have to give the PD credit for trying to keep things interesting.

well, some of us find Irish accents sexy  ;) But listening to NoName makes *my* vocal chords hurt.

They seem to be trying to phase out Mike Inouye's traffic reports: we get a snippet of him and then Renee does the rest of the traffic. It doesn't really make sense to pay NBC Bay Area for outsourced traffic when there are now 3 people in the studio (and Cumulus has an in-house traffic service).

BTW, Inouye's  internet and Twitter pages say he's an "improv comedian" -- I'd've never guessed that in a million years, he sounds so boring and corporate.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:19:08 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 09, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »
This was the first day that NoName sounded like a normal person. Hope that's a trend.

ETA: worth noting, perhaps -- NoName's monicker on FB is officially Mike "No Name" Nelson.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:02:32 PM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 14, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
It's bugging me a little that they're treating Mike like he's a 22-year old dummy, and that he's playing right into that role. Geez, I think the guy is well in his 30s or 40s. Renee making a huge deal about him never going to a Dave Matthews concert (ugh, never again for me), about never having introduced an Indigo Girls song (and how it is going to help him get in touch with his feminine side), blah blah blah.

And apparently next week they're going to bring Rosalie in to help with the "Deaducation of No Name".

Ooof.

Voice-wise, I'm fine with him, because I used to occasionally listen to him on Alice when he was paired with Sarah. But yeah, he is a little "yelly". I do think he's mellowing a bit though.

I guess the fact that we (and Facebook) are talking about him at wall is probably making execs happy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 14, 2015, 11:10:14 AM »
It's bugging me a little that they're treating Mike like he's a 22-year old dummy, and that he's playing right into that role. Geez, I think the guy is well in his 30s or 40s. Renee making a huge deal about him never going to a Dave Matthews concert (ugh, never again for me), about never having introduced an Indigo Girls song (and how it is going to help him get in touch with his feminine side), blah blah blah.

And apparently next week they're going to bring Rosalie in to help with the "Deaducation of No Name".

Ooof.

I'm guessing this is a function of them not wanting to repeat the Twitch debacle, so they're spoon-feeding Fogheads the idea that NoName is not anything like Twitch, he's a good guy, educatable in the ways of Fogheads etc.  I agree that it's overkill, but that's radio -- assume the audience needs to be hit over the head with everything.  ::)

BTW some Googling reveals he's 40-ish

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: January 14, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »
Oh right, I forgot he was a Santa Clara University alum -- he would talk about this on Alice, occasionally. I love KSCU!

http://www.scu.edu/scm/spring2011/no-name-revealed-full.cfm

Let's see, class of '96, so... yeah, assuming he graduated at 22 + 18 puts him near 40.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 20, 2015, 07:46:11 AM »
New Releases Thursday has mysteriously morphed into... New Releases Tuesday. Renee, NoName and Greg each play a fave new song of theirs in the course of the show. Renee's pick today was Father John Misty (he's not a priest).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
New Releases Thursday has mysteriously morphed into... New Releases Tuesday. Renee, NoName and Greg each play a fave new song of theirs in the course of the show. Renee's pick today was Father John Misty (he's not a priest).

No, not a priest. Real name is J. Tillman. He's also had some success as the drummer for Fleet Foxes. His last record, Fear Fun, is almost two years old, but I think there's a new one due out soon. 
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
When did they start signing off from the Morning Show at 9:45? Used to be customary for whoever was hosting to make their final comments and farewell for the day sometime around 9:52 or thereabouts, but last week I noticed they were "see ya later, bye" by quarter of the hour.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: January 20, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
When did they start signing off from the Morning Show at 9:45? Used to be customary for whoever was hosting to make their final comments and farewell for the day sometime around 9:52 or thereabouts, but last week I noticed they were "see ya later, bye" by quarter of the hour.

I guess they're trying not to interrupt that "one-hour flight of KFOG music" or whatever the catch-phrase is these days.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 20, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Apparently "Connected" is no longer.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
There's a post on FB by "KFOG Radio"; the topic being SF-vs-NYC, where would you rather live... I swear the comments look like one of the parody FB threads that our Big Fingers McGee does from time to time.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
Apparently "Connected" is no longer.

:-{

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 22, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »
Oh hey, if anybody wants to hear a "Geezer" embarass himself, tune in for tomorrow's 7:30AM "Mind the Gap", where I miss a really easy question. To be fair, 1) I shouldn't have been using a speakerphone, 2) I should've asked them to replay the clip, 3) I had Google open, 4) the prize is a concert that's on a school-night, so we wouldn't have been able to go anyways.

Yeah, I'm just trying to make myself feel better. Also, the "hipster" was a 29-year old guy from Berkeley who's going to be on Jeopardy next month. Gah!