Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097460 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3075 on: June 04, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
This just in: More changes for KFOG and the rest of the SF Cumulus "cluster": they have a new GM:
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/119059/cumulus-s-f-names-steve-sklenar-market-manager-kev?ref=mail_bulletin

Btw, I have often thought "cluster" is an ironic choice for what these conglomerates call their groups of stations in each market, since the word I most often follow "cluster" with is "fuck."

Interesting...two from (relatively) independent San Diego conglomerations.  Finest City Broadcasting is what a Clear Channel exec created when they had to dump the Mexican stations in 06, including 91X which is a perfect example of how an alternative station can handle PPM and still sound good.  Lincoln Financial isn't too big...they only have 15 stations nationwide and I'm not really sure what they want to do with them.  For many years they operated the two best stations in San Diego by far, KBZT (Alternative) and KIFM (Smooth Jazz).  But unlike 91X, unfortunately both of them went completely down the gutter with PPM. :( 

Edit: It appears that the three San Diego X stations were handed over to "Local Media San Diego," another mysterious small radio company backed by a private investment firm.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:43:09 AM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
New Releases Thurs:

KT Tunstall  - I kinda liked, in spite of some Feistalike overtones.

Langhorn Slim and the Law (?) - like Lumineers meets Alabama Shakes. I suspect this will be big.

Booker T - doing the "beloved veteran teams up with special guests" thing, in this case Mayer Hawthorne (who sounds like a total hipster douchebag on those Chipotle promos).

None of these is really in the "Live 105ish" wheelhouse DC was promoting, FWIW.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:47:45 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: June 07, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
This morning they had both Aisha Tyler (sorry I missed her) AND Bob saget -- who apparently hung out for over an hour. A big change from the "fewer, shorter interviews" model of the last couple years, no?  I may actually switch back to KFOG from Live 105 next week just to see what else is different.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: June 07, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
This morning they had both Aisha Tyler (sorry I missed her) AND Bob saget -- who apparently hung out for over an hour. A big change from the "fewer, shorter interviews" model of the last couple years, no?  I may actually switch back to KFOG from Live 105 next week just to see what else is different.

Listened to the last 20min or so of the morning show today, and heard a third voice, female, kind of nasal, and def not Renee. She sounded a little tentative, but I'm sure if she sticks around her role will increase. So the new guy has started putting a few changes in place.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: June 07, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

Listened to the last 20min or so of the morning show today, and heard a third voice, female, kind of nasal, and def not Renee. She sounded a little tentative, but I'm sure if she sticks around her role will increase. So the new guy has started putting a few changes in place.

that was "Mud". their producer, she's actually been there for some months now.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: June 10, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »
KFOG is almost, uh, boring now -- but I don't mean that in a bad way. I guess what i really mean is they're sounding a tad more "adult", bringing back alot of '90s staples like Kenny Wayne Shepard and DMB.  It's as if somebody suddenly decided "we've been sharing so many songs with Live 105 that people can't tell us apart, and we need to differentiate ourselves."  At least that's my take.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
KFOG is almost, uh, boring now -- but I don't mean that in a bad way. I guess what i really mean is they're sounding a tad more "adult", bringing back alot of '90s staples like Kenny Wayne Shepard and DMB.  It's as if somebody suddenly decided "we've been sharing so many songs with Live 105 that people can't tell us apart, and we need to differentiate ourselves."  At least that's my take.

with Steve Masters off for a few days (at some gaming convo), I listened to Tim & Greg this morning.  Sure enuf, we've heard DMB twice in the last 2 hours. KT Tunstall has made a big comeback in the rotay as well.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: June 11, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »

with Steve Masters off for a few days (at some gaming convo), I listened to Tim & Greg this morning.  Sure enuf, we've heard DMB twice in the last 2 hours. KT Tunstall has made a big comeback in the rotay as well.

KTT has a new record out (Renee played a track for New Music Thurs last week) so that might affect her frequency in the rotation. 

And likely Masters is at E3, which is the big gaming tradeshow of the year, and which, along with the Apple wingding in SF right now has been making my work life a real joy for the last few days.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: June 12, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
I see that KFOG's "6 o'clock Stones" is no longer a thing.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3084 on: June 12, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
I see that KFOG's "6 o'clock Stones" is no longer a thing.
well, since school is out, I wouldn't have found this out until the middle of August!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
More playlist staples return: "Joey", "Barely Breathing", "Meet Virginia"...

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: June 13, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »

aka "Three songs that were LN upon release".

Wait, that's not fair... "Barely Breathing" was a decent song that just got overplayed. "Meet Virginia" was, um, different enough to be listenable.

"Joey", OTOH I can not stand, which is unfortunate because generally I kinda like Concrete Blonde. It's their "Luka", I suppose.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »
New Releases Thursday: they're playing the DMB track from the John Denver tribute CD and now here's the new Family of the Year tune, which sounds like a Triple-A consultant's dream.

You bring the ocean
I'll bring the motion
Together we'll make a love potion

Oy.

meanwhile, Gory didn't know what "yacht rock" is.  And I can't believe Duffy's "Mercy" is 5 years old. She was Adele before Adele was Adele.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:01:42 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: June 13, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »

add the Lemonheads' "Mrs Robinson" -- all of these I've heard twice this week in the 6a-10a time period.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: June 13, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
Trying to de-Live 105 yourself is counterproductive in my opinion when the songs you're re-adding have been overplayed for over a decade.  I also hear a lot less music in the morning.  Gah, I miss DC.  :'(