Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097368 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2835 on: June 25, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe? There's already a Hooters at Fisherman's Wharf, so that would be old news.

Is it just me, or is the new morning show, and KFOG in general, relying on more bullshit "teases" than they used to?  A quick Google search would've turned up the gay sports bar story.  But it's like the old local TV news ploy, "When we come back from the break, a surprising/shocking/alarming new study/scam/crime that you'll want to hear about. [Please don't turn the channel.]"

I'm almost positive I heard Twitch use that tired old, "In the next hour we'll be playing a classic by The Rolling Stones..." bullshit line.

I know it's standard operating procedure for radio stations, or it was like 10-20-30 years ago. But god it feels so dated -- such a transparent ploy (plea) to keep people from switching.

Also, the goddamn 10 minute blocks of commercials are awful.  Also, the new 3-second commercials that make no goddamn sense.  "This is Kaiser Permanente -- THRIVE" and then boom, a song starts.  God. Damn. Cumulus.

But can I really complain?  Tim and Greg gave me tickets to the Harmony Festival this morning.  It was after the sounder -- they had an extra pair and did a "dramatic interpretations of lyrics" quiz around 8:15AM.  For one thing they weren't nearly as good/cheesey as Peter Finch, but for another thing, I *suucked* and was not ready at all.  I recognized "I Can See Clearly Now" by Jimmy Cliff, but had no clue on Tegan & Sara's "Walking With The Ghost" (they essentially prompted me to say it), and then I guessed that the overly intellectual lyrics "Could be there's nothing else in our lives so critical..." were the Shins (I was pretty damned sure Allyson Krauss never used the word "critical" in a tune), but I didn't know the title. Again, prompting, "Oh, this one is so *simple*... It should be *simple* for you to get this..."

Oy.  Then 10 minutes of editing later I sounded like a genius answering correctly right after they read the lyrics.  While I appreciate the "win", it sure did feel like they didn't really want to play the game and make it hard for folks, like in the Morey era.  Just give him the tickets and get off the phone.  Does anybody remember any recent contests going past one contestant?

Oh wait, I bet I will be able to complain... I'm guessing they're going to be lawn seats.  We'll see when they arrive in the mail.  ;-}

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
In the past half hour we got "Put the Gun Down" by ZZ Ward and "Next to Me" by Emeli Sande, the latter which is apparently in regular rotation now.

The onslaught of Adelealikes has begun.

I'm amazed it took this long!  I'd much rather hear Rumer than 10 women who sound exactly like Adele.

Huh, I'm checking out Rumer now. But just because Emeli Sande's first name is actually also Adele and she's also British, please don't write her off. I really dug this performance of hers on NPR http://www.npr.org/event/music/154158636/emeli-sande-a-pop-belter-for-everyone (broken now, but hopefully fixed soon).  Also, c'mon, she was a Neuroscience Major.  That's gotta count for something!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: June 25, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
Also, the goddamn 10 minute blocks of commercials are awful.

Yes, yes, yes! Especially when there's a "KAY FOGGGG" teaser right in the middle. The block right before 10@10 seems particularly obnoxious.

Also, the new 3-second commercials that make no goddamn sense.  "This is Kaiser Permanente -- THRIVE" and then boom, a song starts.

I can handle this a lot easier than I can the 10 minute blocks.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Listening to the first Rumer track that popped up on YouTube. Is this Karen Carpenter?

Also, she's not related to Bruce Willis, right? :-}
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:51:04 PM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Listening to the first Rumer track that popped up on YouTube. Is this Karen Carpenter?

she sounds a LOT like Karen, yes. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: June 25, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

she sounds a LOT like Karen, yes. 

Ok, on this Aretha track I'm hearing a little Laura Nyro.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 25, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
Oh, so re: Melanie's absence.

Back when she was still there, it was often Renee who took down our name/address/phone number after we won a contest.  Today it was somebody who sounded like an intern, not Melanie. But I can't be positive.

Interestingly, I had spoken to this voice before, when trying to be the 10th caller for another contest, she kindly picked up to tell me they already had a winner.  In the past they would just let the phones ring, and the on-air winner announcement was the signal to stop calling.

At any rate, what does it all mean? Maybe Melanie is phoning her "Daily Scoop" reports in from remote? (Also I hate that they use "Scoop", as I always get excited that I'll hear something from Mr. Nisker.)  They don't have a producer anymore, but do have an enthusiastic intern?  I dunno.  Just a little more data.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
Oh, so re: Melanie's absence.

Back when she was still there, it was often Renee who took down our name/address/phone number after we won a contest.  Today it was somebody who sounded like an intern, not Melanie. But I can't be positive.

Interestingly, I had spoken to this voice before, when trying to be the 10th caller for another contest, she kindly picked up to tell me they already had a winner.  In the past they would just let the phones ring, and the on-air winner announcement was the signal to stop calling.

At any rate, what does it all mean? Maybe Melanie is phoning her "Daily Scoop" reports in from remote? (Also I hate that they use "Scoop", as I always get excited that I'll hear something from Mr. Nisker.)  They don't have a producer anymore, but do have an enthusiastic intern?  I dunno.  Just a little more data.

I suspect you're right -- intern (cheap) replaces producer (expensive).  As to Melanie, I thought I heard interaction between her and Tim/Greg, tho' she clearly appears in small doses.  I can't decide if that's a function of  (a) a lot of Fogheads complained about her and so they've given her much less air-time, or (b) they're giving her intensive "how to talk on the radio like an adult" lessons.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: June 26, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
This hour's "classic": Macca, "1985". Nice.

ETA: meanwhile, per the sounder KFOG just played, Black Crowes are not my idea of a "musical pick-me-up".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:52:30 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
"KFOG plays *that*??"  Heh. Dred just played Space's "Female of the Species", which was a nice treat.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: June 27, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
"KFOG plays *that*??"  Heh. Dred just played Space's "Female of the Species", which was a nice treat.

Rockwell, actually.  That one has been getting a few spins lately, along with Electronic's "Getting Away With It" which the DC & Renee show played today.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: June 27, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »
So the 6am Stones song is clearly a thing -- happened yet again today. So why not promote it as such? They never reference it; it's  just... there.

Meanwhile it's a tad embarassing hearing Tim mis-pronounce the names of current artists. He was plugging New Releases Thurs and mentioned "The IMAGINE Dragons" (it's "Imagine DRAGONS" I believe, no "the") and said the "AH-vett" Brothers instead of "AY-vett". That's what happens when you don't have a producer, I suppose, but isn't Gory paying attention to his co-host?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
So the 6am Stones song is clearly a thing -- happened yet again today. So why not promote it as such? They never reference it; it's  just... there.

Meanwhile it's a tad embarassing hearing Tim mis-pronounce the names of current artists. He was plugging New Releases Thurs and mentioned "The IMAGINE Dragons" (it's "Imagine DRAGONS" I believe, no "the") and said the "AH-vett" Brothers instead of "AY-vett". That's what happens when you don't have a producer, I suppose, but isn't Gory paying attention to his co-host?

I think it's Melanie's job to do that.  She's the one who supposedly knows music.   But it's easy to imagine that no one at the KFOG offices or in mgt actually listens to what is said on the air.  I know I rarely do!  HAHAHA!  :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:48:19 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: June 27, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »

Rockwell, actually.  That one has been getting a few spins lately, along with Electronic's "Getting Away With It" which the DC & Renee show played today.

Heard "Getting Away With It" last night (~6:45). I do wish they'd play the single version, but I won't complain too much.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: June 28, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »
Today's 6:00 Stones song was "Angie".  Are they, like, waiting for someone to notice before they start calling it "6:00 Stones" on-air?