Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097387 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2820 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »
Just before 10@10 they played this just AWFUL J. Mraz tune.  Yuck!

ha -- it's actually one of his less-annoying ones (which isn't saying much).

BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe? There's already a Hooters at Fisherman's Wharf, so that would be old news.

Old news, indeed:

http://sfist.com/2011/12/12/hooters_sf_closing_down.php

wow, how did I miss that story??
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe? There's already a Hooters at Fisherman's Wharf, so that would be old news.

Old news, indeed:

http://sfist.com/2011/12/12/hooters_sf_closing_down.php

wow, how did I miss that story??

wow, I guess no one gave a hoot.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: June 19, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »

BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe?

DING DING DING! A gay sports bar is opening in the Castro -- SF's first true "gay sports bar", apparently:

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/06/17/san-francisco-to-gets-its-first-gay-sports-bar-hi-tops/

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: June 19, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »

BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe?

DING DING DING! A gay sports bar is opening in the Castro -- SF's first true "gay sports bar", apparently:

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/06/17/san-francisco-to-gets-its-first-gay-sports-bar-hi-tops/

someone commented "the Pilsner Inn is a sports bar; not sure why this bar is said to be the first." 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: June 19, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

someone commented "the Pilsner Inn is a sports bar; not sure why this bar is said to be the first."

Yeah I saw that. The Pilsner is a gay bar that happens to show sports (which most other gay bars tend not to do, or only do very grudgingly). It's a fine, friendly, laid-back place but it's not a "sports bar" in the sense of sports being the main focus/theme, with 24 TVs all tuned to a different game and a kitchen with an extensive menu. Which, presumably is what "Hi-Tops" will be.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: June 19, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »

Yeah I saw that. The Pilsner is a gay bar that happens to show sports (which most other gay bars tend not to do, or only do very grudgingly). It's a fine, friendly, laid-back place but it's not a "sports bar" in the sense of sports being the main focus/theme, with 24 TVs all tuned to a different game and a kitchen with an extensive menu. Which, presumably is what "Hi-Tops" will be.

I wonder how the new gay sports bar will affect the SF rankings in the "manliest city" category?

http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2012/06/18/sf-ranked-49th-manliest-city/
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: June 20, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

BTW did anyone hear the discussion of this topic on Wed morning? I missed it.

And I'm baffled by this post in AL's post-10@10 "best of set" thread: "I'm not sure what Summah is, can you let me know? I am not predijust, yet always curious." er... huh?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:22:32 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: June 21, 2012, 07:56:37 AM »

BTW did anyone hear the discussion of this topic on Wed morning? I missed it.

And I'm baffled by this post in AL's post-10@10 "best of set" thread: "I'm not sure what Summah is, can you let me know? I am not predijust, yet always curious." er... huh?

Did not hear the KFOG discussion, but I'm sure it was nothing earth shattering.  The level of discourse there is superficial. 

"Summah" is he Boston accent pronunciation of "summer."  AL played up the Boston angle and this guy didn't recognize her joke but tried to acknowledge that he's not prejudiced.   or something...
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: June 21, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »
Renee has a girlfriend?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
Renee has a girlfriend?

not in that way. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: June 21, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
My first time hearing this new DMB tune. Damn, it's awful.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »
In the past half hour we got "Put the Gun Down" by ZZ Ward and "Next to Me" by Emeli Sande, the latter which is apparently in regular rotation now.

The onslaught of Adelealikes has begun.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:06:25 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: June 21, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
In the past half hour we got "Put the Gun Down" by ZZ Ward and "Next to Me" by Emeli Sande, the latter which is apparently in regular rotation now.

The onslaught of Adelealikes has begun.

I'm amazed it took this long!  I'd much rather hear Rumer than 10 women who sound exactly like Adele.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: June 24, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
Props to Ben Fong-Torres, whose current column addresses the KFOG in the Morning about-face and Constantine's mea culpa. Considering it has taken him a month or more to cover past developments, this update is as timely as we can hope for.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/KUSF-sale-OKd-after-FCC-s-50-000-fine-3653646.php#page-2

Btw, KFOG's own web site no longer mentions the departed Twitch, but neither is there any reference to his replacement, Tim Jeffries. Gory and Melanie have bios on the KFOG in the Morning page, but Tim doesn't, and none of them are listed on the airstaff page.

Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »
So, is this a new tradition? Today was the 4th weekday in a row that KFOG played an old Stones song just before 6am. "Six O'Clock Stones" kinda has a nice ring to it. (tho' they haven't actually called it that on-air)