Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097439 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2640 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
Proving once again that the typical Foghead is not a radio geek who pays attention like we do... Webster read an email this morning from someone who wanted to know "what happened to Peter Finch? Some new guy has been doing the news lately... I hope Peter is all right!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: February 22, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
Proving once again that the typical Foghead is not a radio geek who pays attention like we do... Webster read an email this morning from someone who wanted to know "what happened to Peter Finch? Some new guy has been doing the news lately... I hope Peter is all right!"

And Peter's only been gone, what, maybe three months? Oy. Obviously this guy never listens to KGO, either.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: February 22, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »
Interesting exchange between DW and AL on her wall... indicating that perhaps not all songs are 'hand-picked' by KFOG after all.

EDIT: Although he did say he was listening to KFOG streaming, so maybe an asterisk needs to be inserted. Or something.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:17:38 PM by IntellectualElitist »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »
Interesting exchange between DW and AL on her wall... indicating that perhaps not all songs are 'hand-picked' by KFOG after all.

EDIT: Although he did say he was listening to KFOG streaming, so maybe an asterisk needs to be inserted. Or something.

yeah, I just read that -- he's talking about the songs that play on the stream when over-the-air KFOG has commercials. (like what we hear right before 10@10, for example). Those songs don't get ID'd in the Just Played feature. To be fair, I'm sure these songs are approved by DC too (some are from the "live & local" CDs, I think) so they're not being chosen by some faceless corporate toadys. They tend to be marginally popular songs (like the new Tom Waits) and this gives DC an opportunity to tell the record label "hey you're getting played on KFOG!"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: February 23, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
KFOG continues its quest to see Live 105 pwn3d by adding a few more popular tracks from that station: Fun "We Are Young" & Young the Giant "Cough Syrup." (In addition to that Of Monsters and Men song, though that's already top half of the AAA chart now.)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:03 PM »
Someone on FB mentioned that AL's shift is getting cut an hour (10-3).  Crickey, does this mean more airtime with DC??   :o

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: February 23, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
Someone on FB mentioned that AL's shift is getting cut an hour (10-3).  Crickey, does this mean more airtime with DC??   :o

Yes -- DC and Renee get an extra hour cuz they're SOOOOOOOO popular!  Fred P has started the "10@10 Deathwatch". But as I posted on that thread:

"I'm no fan of Cumulus or the PD's "improvements", but in radio, 6 hours is a LOOOONG air-shift, and when you consider AL works longer than that doing 10@10 prep... I think you're reading a bit too much into this particular move."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:01:46 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: February 24, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »

Yes -- DC and Renee get an extra hour cuz they're SOOOOOOOO popular!  Fred P has started the "10@10 Deathwatch". But as I posted on that thread:

"I'm no fan of Cumulus or the PD's "improvements", but in radio, 6 hours is a LOOOONG air-shift, and when you consider AL works longer than that doing 10@10 prep... I think you're reading a bit too much into this particular move."

Good point...also, AL's 10-3 (+10-11) is still longer than DC & Renee's 3-7.  And before she took over 10@10, she was 11-4...yes?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:48:57 AM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »
it's another Request-O-Rama-O-Rama on the Morning Show (Oscar/movie trivia); got off to an inauspicious start when Irish Greg screwed up the first question: "Kristin Wiig is nominated for Best Screenplay this year... who is the ONLY OTHER SNL CAST MEMBER to be Oscar-nommed?" Greg, who got the answer from some crappy website,  said it was Joan Cusack, but the first caller said (correctly) that Bill Murray's been nominated. Ooops.

And to top it off... the winner requested... Feist. And not even old Feist. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:52:23 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:40 AM »
it's another Request-O-Rama-O-Rama on the Morning Show (Oscar/movie trivia); got off to an inauspicious start when Irish Greg screwed up the first question: "Kristin Wiig is nominated for Best Screenplay this year... who is the ONLY OTHER SNL CAST MEMBER to be Oscar-nommed?" Greg, who got the answer from some crappy website,  said it was Joan Cusack, but the first caller said (correctly) that Bill Murray's been nominated. Ooops.

And to top it off... the winner requested... Feist. And not even old Feist. Sheesh.

so I'm subjecting myself to the last hour today just to see what kinda requests the winners are making -- compared to say, the stuff "old" Fogheads (say, a year ago) requested, which could sometimes be quite good/quirky/interesting.

9:00 Pop Quiz (also Oscar-related): which of these things is not like the other?

Bruce, "Streets of Philly"
Swell Season, "Falling Slowly"
Melisseridge, "I Need to Wake Up"
Counting Crows, "Accidentally in Love"
Eminem, "Lose Yourself"

(answer: all were Oscar-nommed; the Counting Crows song is the only one of the 5 that DIDN'T win)

ETA: apparently R-O-R-O-R ends before 9:00... was it always like that? Did anyone hear the show between 6:30 and 9 and were you struck by any interesting (or awful) requests?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:47:20 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: February 24, 2012, 09:52:59 AM »
and another minor tweak I've noticed -- they now play the "so VERY special" version of Radiohead's "Creep" instead of the version with "fucking" bleeped out that they've played for 18 years. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:51 AM »

And Peter's only been gone, what, maybe three months? Oy. Obviously this guy never listens to KGO, either.

and someone on AL's FB page just asked where Renee's been lately...

BTW I haven't heard the new movie-review girl -- anybody? the word "annoying" is being thrown around...

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »

ETA: apparently R-O-R-O-R ends before 9:00... was it always like that? Did anyone hear the show between 6:30 and 9 and were you struck by any interesting (or awful) requests?

Yeah, AFAIK it ended @ 9 even in the "old days".  (Sometimes they had the 9:00 pop quiz winner pick the last one.) 

The three requests I heard were in line with DC's playlist:

The Black Crowes - Hard to Handle
Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
The Icicle Works - Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) 

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
I wasn't playing close enough attention to know whether they were ROROR requests, but some of the songs that appeared this morning were:

"Name", Goo Goo Dolls
"Animal", Neon Trees
"No Such Thing", John Mayer
"Don't Dream It's Over", Crowded House

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
I wasn't playing close enough attention to know whether they were ROROR requests, but some of the songs that appeared this morning were:

"Don't Dream It's Over", Crowded House

Jose F must've won!