Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097368 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2580 on: January 04, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
Heard Greg Gory this morning. Is he the official new guy?

they keep saying he's "with us this week"... tho' he was on last week with Renee too. Sounds like they're still making up their mind.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
Shortly before 6, they played "Free My Mind" by Katie Herzig -- call me crazy but I'd never heard it before, yet Webster backannnounced it as one of the big songs of 2011. A case of "this showed up on our Foghead Favorites poll so we better backpedal"? Or did I just miss it all the other times they played it?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2582 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »
Shortly before 6, they played "Free My Mind" by Katie Herzig -- call me crazy but I'd never heard it before, yet Webster backannnounced it as one of the big songs of 2011. A case of "this showed up on our Foghead Favorites poll so we better backpedal"? Or did I just miss it all the other times they played it?
Admittedly, I'm so far out of it, I'm not surprised, but on the way home from dinner, I heard some other Foghead Favorite of 2011, and I'd never heard it before, at least not on KFOG, and certainly not on the morning show!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
Another week of Greg Gory so I assume he's the official news & traffic guy. Kinda surprised they're going with an all-male show -- I thought DC was trying to nail down those soccer moms.

in the 6:00 hour they premiered the new Train song, "Drive-By", which (unsurprisingly) is godawful. Their usual shtick -- painful rhymes, the whole nine yards. What was funny was that Webster said "we wanna know what you think, maybe a little Foghead poll..." but after the song I waitied.... and waited for Foghead phone calls to be aired but there were none. Maybe because everyone said "Train sucks!"?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Another week of Greg Gory so I assume he's the official news & traffic guy. Kinda surprised they're going with an all-male show -- I thought DC was trying to nail down those soccer moms.

Nothing about him on their website yet (whereas IIRC Rockwell and Dred got added fairly quickly).  But yesterday I heard a commercial where Renee announced the upcoming morning show with "Webster, Greg, & Greg."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: January 12, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed at the all-male turn the Morning Show has taken -- given that DC moved Renee to afternoons to go after a female demo, you'd think they'd leave the fratboys to The Bone and K-FOX and be a bit smarter in mornings rather than dumbing down.  There was a news story about a Girl Scout troop in Denver admitting a transgender member that was handled rather ham-fistedly and prompted me to send them this email:

Wow -- are you guys aiming for the Lamont & Tonelli/Greg Kihn, meat-headed fratboy demographic now? Regarding your discussion of the transgender Girl Scout story -- I've been listening to the Morning Show for years and I *know* that you're all a lot smarter than you made yourselves sound this morning.

Surely you can't just walk into Girl Scout headquarters and say "I think I'm a girl, give me a uniform". This 14-year-old kid has probably gone thru therapy; he's probably been to multiple child psychiatrists and been diagnosed by experts. The Girl Scouts aren't going to let some kid come in and "prank" them. (And it's worth noting that the Girl scouts are a more progressive organization than the Boy Scouts.) Dave Morey  would be embarrassed by the way you handled this story

Seriously, guys, a little common sense goes a long way...

in other news, they're playing songs from both the new Macca "standards" album AND the new Ringo (when was the last time radio played anything new by him?). Wait: here's the Ringo. It's actually not bad -- a remake of his ill-fated "Wings" from the '70s. But again, I can't get a handle on what demo they're aiming for -- do thirtysomething soccer moms care about Macca, Ringo and Paul Simon?

ETA: and here's Cake's "Never There". Again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:59:57 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed at the all-male turn the Morning Show has taken -- given that DC moved Renee to afternoons to go after a female demo, you'd think they'd leave the fratboys to The Bone and K-FOX and be a bit smarter in mornings rather than dumbing down. 

I guess once again I'm dissenting, but I'm not convinced that moving Renee to the afternoons is a sign that KFOG is trying to go to a female demo -- I just think she sounds much better in the afternoons.  Younger demo, yes.  I don't mind the all-male show because I much prefer Greg over the annoying girl from MN & whoever the first one was.  (Kat would have been fine, though.)  I actually like the morning show now, probably because I'm only annoyed by 1/3 of them now as opposed to 3/4.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: January 12, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed at the all-male turn the Morning Show has taken -- given that DC moved Renee to afternoons to go after a female demo, you'd think they'd leave the fratboys to The Bone and K-FOX and be a bit smarter in mornings rather than dumbing down. 

I guess once again I'm dissenting, but I'm not convinced that moving Renee to the afternoons is a sign that KFOG is trying to go to a female demo -- I just think she sounds much better in the afternoons.  Younger demo, yes.  I don't mind the all-male show because I much prefer Greg over the annoying girl from MN & whoever the first one was.  (Kat would have been fine, though.)  I actually like the morning show now, probably because I'm only annoyed by 1/3 of them now as opposed to 3/4.

Well, OK. All-male in and of itself is not a problem, but if they're going to go all neanderthal about it, I think that's a mistake. Not only would it drive me away completely but L&T and Kihn have that mentality sown-up so what would be the point of splitting that audience 3 ways?

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: January 13, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
I'd kept the dial on the 'FOG up until a minute ago but had to kill it when I heard the voice of Gavin Rossdale. Nothing says, "Change it, change it!!!!" like Bush/Rossdale.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: January 18, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
Meant to mention that I punched up KFOG in the car Monday afternoon and they were playing Sonia Dada's "You Don't Treat Me No Good No More", which was nice to hear -- I was surprised they didn't revive that one when that country remake was a hit a few years back.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
I'd kept the dial on the 'FOG up until a minute ago but had to kill it when I heard the voice of Gavin Rossdale. Nothing says, "Change it, change it!!!!" like Bush/Rossdale.

Ha! I heard Live 105 promo-ing their show at HP Pav --- They're touring with f---ing Nickleback, for chrissakes.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Ha! I heard Live 105 promo-ing their show at HP Pav --- They're touring with f---ing Nickleback, for chrissakes.

If you're looking for a way to kill yourself that's relatively mess-free, that show would probably do it. But "Suicide Is Painless" it wouldn't be.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
Granted, I've never "gotten" the love for Florence and the Machine but jeezus: anybody who uses the phrase "it's always darkest before the dawn" in a pop song in 2012 is undeserving of any accolades. I mean... seriously, Florence? That's just goddamn lazy.

Meanwhile -- KFOG will be simulcasting the Niners game on Sunday along with KNBR and The Bone? WTF?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:00:54 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: January 20, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
Granted, I've never "gotten" the love for Florence and the Machine but jeezus: anybody who uses the phrase "it's always darkest before the dawn" in a pop song in 2012 is undeserving of any accolades. I mean... seriously, Florence? That's just goddamn lazy.

Coming from the same person who called her "hit" Dog Days Are Over, does this surprise you?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: January 20, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »

Meanwhile -- KFOG will be simulcasting the Niners game on Sunday along with KNBR and The Bone? WTF?

Yeah, that is a headscratcher. 

I understand the studios share same owners, have the same studio space, etc....  so I guess they paid a little extra to extend the game broadcast down the dial a bit.. because even Katrina-loving KFOGgers will run-Run-RUN  to listen to the game on the radio b/c they cannot live a day without KFOG?   

BTW, one of the Niners tix winners on KFOG's 9 O'Clock Pop Quiz was a woman named Katrina.

*Cue eerie Theramin sound*  ooooooooo-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooo! 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:07:44 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~