Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097311 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2280 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
Just announced on FB: the 10@10 Marathon returns... sorta.  As predicted by TC weeks ago, they're gonna throw the wee's shows up onto kfog.com for 7 days, whence they'll be replaced by the following week's shows.  Not surprising. Everybody happy now?  ;)
Actually, this is a somewhat reasonable solution, although I did enjoy listening to the marathon while performing Saturday morning activities. I wonder if the shows will be downloadable? I know Giter Dunn does this already, but that would be cool.
If I just want to hear old music, I'll play my own collection.  One of the big reasons people listen to radio is the communal aspect. Yes, posting the shows assuages a certain aspect, but it's not the same.  We shall see.
But surely you know that 10@10 is more than just "old music," otherwise it would not have become so popular in the first place.  It's also the clips, production & segues.  I agree that people listen to the radio for the communal aspect, but that's felt the most @ 10 AM and peters off by 10 PM and even more by the weekend.  Streaming still isn't the same but it does seem like a reasonable solution.  Of course, it would be even better to have it at 10A, 10P, Weekend, AND online...but I guess that's asking too much by this point.

Sorry, I was exaggerating.  Yes, the most intense community is at 10AM, which was part of my life from the very beginning until 6 years ago when I started teaching.  Since then, echoes of community do pop in and out at 10 PM, and then on Saturday mornings.  Running the stream this way is at least still faintly tied to some simultaneity. Right now, we could all be potentially listening to Bowie's "This is not America!" for what it's worth.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
August ratings are out:

http://www.radio-info.com/markets/san-francisco

very slight uptick for KFOG (2.5 to 2.6). But again, it takes time for the Average Joe to realize that changes are being made, and there's no demographic breakdown available.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 06, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
Posted by Dred earlier tonight on the KFOG FB page:

Dred sez: Just a note: We'll be introducing a new nightly feature next Monday that will allow us to go deeper into the KFOG library and use suggestions from Fogheads. Keep watching this space ('cause space is the place)

Hmmm. Possibly an alternative to the 10@10 model that doesn't take up 45+ minutes of airtime?

(Btw, I got a smile out of the Sun Ra reference, not that I *ever* expect to hear that band on KFOG. Rocket number 9, take off for the planet...)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 06, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
August ratings are out:

very slight uptick for KFOG (2.5 to 2.6). But again, it takes time for the Average Joe to realize that changes are being made, and there's no demographic breakdown available.

But I just noticed the Bone with a 3.5 -- their highest rating ever, I think (or at least in a long long time).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:35 PM »
August ratings are out:

But I just noticed the Bone with a 3.5 -- their highest rating ever, I think (or at least in a long long time).

Foghead refugees?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 07, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »
August ratings are out:

Foghead refugees?

a combination of that and diehard rockers who were Band listeners before the switch to oldies. I honestly never listen to K-FOX so I can't say if they're more mainstream-ish than the Bone (meaning less AC/DC, Dio and Scorpions type stuff).

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 07, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
I've been tuning in little by little during non-10@10 hours.  I must admit, the new format is growing on me.  Just heard "Sweet Jane" (VU, not Cowboy Junkies), Muse's "Uprising", as well as Tony Bennett.  But, then again, they also played "Don't Speak" and that damn Matt Nathanson song (again).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 07, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
I've been tuning in little by little during non-10@10 hours.  I must admit, the new format is growing on me.  Just heard "Sweet Jane" (VU, not Cowboy Junkies), Muse's "Uprising", as well as Tony Bennett.  But, then again, they also played "Don't Speak" and that damn Matt Nathanson song (again).

Tony Bennett seems to be one of the designated "OMG I can't believe they just played that!" songs. If they over-use it it'll become rather silly.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »

Tony Bennett seems to be one of the designated "OMG I can't believe they just played that!" songs. If they over-use it it'll become rather silly.

Can I assume they're playing only "I Left My Heart..."? If so, it's a pretty obvious attempt to pander to the local audience.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 09, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
Posted by Dred earlier tonight on the KFOG FB page:

Dred sez: Just a note: We'll be introducing a new nightly feature next Monday that will allow us to go deeper into the KFOG library and use suggestions from Fogheads. Keep watching this space ('cause space is the place)

Hmmm. Possibly an alternative to the 10@10 model that doesn't take up 45+ minutes of airtime?

(Btw, I got a smile out of the Sun Ra reference, not that I *ever* expect to hear that band on KFOG. Rocket number 9, take off for the planet...)

Here's the scoop on Dred's new joint: KFOG Connected. Sounds sorta like My Three Songs expanded, or maybe the Sounds' 10@10 theme sets.

Dred sez: Fogheads, we've got a new feature for you beginning Monday night - KFOG Connected, a set of tunes connected by a theme, topic, etc. It's a chance for us to dig into the KFOG library, and your suggestions are encouraged. Best suggestion of the day wins concert tickets, etc. Check out this link for more info...Thanks!
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »
Here it is again -- have we ever discussed this "Home" tune that KFOG has been trying to kill by playing it every ten minutes.  Kind of a Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash duet homage.  I like it, but it's almost reached the "GODDAMMIT QUIT PLAYING THAT!" stage...

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros. I kinda like it and since I don't listen to KFOG all day it hasn't gotten to the "never again" point with me (yet). But it's one of the songs a Foghead was complaining about in an email they read yesterday -- bitching about KFOG playing too much "country"-sounding music. It always amazes me how many rock "purists" who listen to stations like KFOG and The Bone claim to hate country, even tho' they're the same folks who love hearing Skynyrd and the Iggles over and over.
Here it is again -- have we ever discussed this "Home" tune that KFOG has been trying to kill by playing it every ten minutes.  Kind of a Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash duet homage.  I like it, but it's almost reached the "GODDAMMIT QUIT PLAYING THAT!" stage...

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros. I kinda like it and since I don't listen to KFOG all day it hasn't gotten to the "never again" point with me (yet). But it's one of the songs a Foghead was complaining about in an email they read yesterday -- bitching about KFOG playing too much "country"-sounding music. It always amazes me how many rock "purists" who listen to stations like KFOG and The Bone claim to hate country, even tho' they're the same folks who love hearing Skynyrd and the Iggles over and over.

Love "Home", and luckily it hasn't reached the overplayed/saturation point for me... YET. Yes, people who hate country music clearly don't know their history. Oof.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »
And yesterday they responded to an email complaint ("you give away Willie Nelson tix but you never actually, y'know... PLAY him") by letting Fogheads decide which Willie song to play and -- much to my surprise -- the choice was "Pancho & Lefty"!

This happens *ALL THE TIME* (giving away tickets to artists that don't get any airplay). Drives me crazy.

[Oh man, I thought I knew "Pancho & Lefty" as a Bonnie Raitt cover, but I was actually thinking of her tune "Papa Come Quick (Jody and Chico)".  Ooops, other song featuring a Gringo and Mexican name.  :-}]

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 12, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
And yesterday they responded to an email complaint ("you give away Willie Nelson tix but you never actually, y'know... PLAY him") by letting Fogheads decide which Willie song to play and -- much to my surprise -- the choice was "Pancho & Lefty"!

This happens *ALL THE TIME* (giving away tickets to artists that don't get any airplay). Drives me crazy.

[Oh man, I thought I knew "Pancho & Lefty" as a Bonnie Raitt cover, but I was actually thinking of her tune "Papa Come Quick (Jody and Chico)".  Ooops, other song featuring a Gringo and Mexican name.  :-}]

Pancho & Lefty was written by Townes Van Zant, but Willie and Merle Haggard did the version that everyone knows. Emmylou has done it as well; that may be the version you're thinking of.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 12, 2011, 12:56:15 PM »

[Oh man, I thought I knew "Pancho & Lefty" as a Bonnie Raitt cover, but I was actually thinking of her tune "Papa Come Quick (Jody and Chico)".  Ooops, other song featuring a Gringo and Mexican name.  :-}]

Pancho & Lefty was written by Townes Van Zant, but Willie and Merle Haggard did the version that everyone knows. Emmylou has done it as well; that may be the version you're thinking of.

Thanks, I YouTubed it, and sadly, I'm not familiar with the song at all. Again, my knowledge is pretty shallow.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
Just announced on FB: the 10@10 Marathon returns... sorta.  As predicted by TC weeks ago, they're gonna throw the wee's shows up onto kfog.com for 7 days, whence they'll be replaced by the following week's shows.  Not surprising. Everybody happy now?  ;)

Actually, this is a somewhat reasonable solution, although I did enjoy listening to the marathon while performing Saturday morning activities. I wonder if the shows will be downloadable? I know Giter Dunn does this already, but that would be cool.

If I just want to hear old music, I'll play my own collection.  One of the big reasons people listen to radio is the communal aspect. Yes, posting the shows assuages a certain aspect, but it's not the same.  We shall see.

It's better than nothing but this is just throwing a bone to everyone that's been kvetching since the marathon went away last month. It negates the whole "collective consciousness" aspect of everyone listening to the same thing at the same time. Sort of like watching a movie at home on Netflix streaming as opposed to going to the theater and sitting in the dark with a bunch of strangers. Nice, but not the same experience. Unless everyone agrees to listen to set 1 at 7am on Saturday, and set 2 at 7:55, and so forth. And I don't see that happening.

Just tuned in the Marathon stream for the first time, right at the end of last Monday's 88 set, so am now listening to '98 from the beginning. I like that the ads are limited to a brief Mattress Discounters promo read by AL, but I'm kinda not digging the fidelity. It sounds a bit more midrangey and compressed than the regular stream, and there's a little more hiss, too. I'll have to try it on my phone & see if it's Android-compatible or not.
Let's get right to it.