Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097433 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2265 on: August 30, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »
I've been corresponding with someone who was interested in joining, but for the moment is holding off, trying not to get sucked into the time sink our club can be!  He sent along this link, and I feel I've read this article before.  I'm sure someone smarter than me will find it right away:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-07-13/entertainment/17173400_1_radio-waves-new-program-director-city-light

find what? the date's right there in the link, it's a Ben Fong-Torres piece from 3 years ago. Am I missing something?

maybe he's looking for the "regular" sfgate article?  That one listed is the version created to maximize SEO, and what you typically find via a google search. 

Here's the standard sfgate version: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/13/PKP111IRJG.DTL

Sorry, I wasn't getting good results on a search.  Sorry to waste space.  Maybe someday we'll get another member.
I'll getcha some new members!  You have been warned!

uh-oh.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 31, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »
OK, there is definitely tweaking and backtracking going on, music-wise. Shortly before 6am I heard "Love is the Drug" ('75/'76) and at 6:30 they played the Meters' "Cissy Strut" which is not only from '68 but far more obscure to the average twentysomething than anything AL played in last week's 1968 set.  And yesterday they responded to an email complaint ("you give away Willie Nelson tix but you never actually, y'know... PLAY him") by letting Fogheads decide which Willie song to play and -- much to my surprise -- the choice was "Pancho & Lefty"!

Oh, and that Kooks song they're playing is like something the Cowsills/Partridges might've recorded way back when.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:40:59 AM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Here it is again -- have we ever discussed this "Home" tune that KFOG has been trying to kill by playing it every ten minutes.  Kind of a Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash duet homage.  I like it, but it's almost reached the "GODDAMMIT QUIT PLAYING THAT!" stage...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
Here it is again -- have we ever discussed this "Home" tune that KFOG has been trying to kill by playing it every ten minutes.  Kind of a Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash duet homage.  I like it, but it's almost reached the "GODDAMMIT QUIT PLAYING THAT!" stage...

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros. I kinda like it and since I don't listen to KFOG all day it hasn't gotten to the "never again" point with me (yet). But it's one of the songs a Foghead was complaining about in an email they read yesterday -- bitching about KFOG playing too much "country"-sounding music. It always amazes me how many rock "purists" who listen to stations like KFOG and The Bone claim to hate country, even tho' they're the same folks who love hearing Skynyrd and the Iggles over and over.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2269 on: August 31, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
OK, there is definitely tweaking and backtracking going on, music-wise. Shortly before 6am I heard "Love is the Drug" ('75/'76) and at 6:30 they played the Meters' "Cissy Strut" which is not only from '68 but far more obscure to the average twentysomething than anything AL played in last week's 1968 set.  And yesterday they responded to an email complaint ("you give away Willie Nelson tix but you never actually, y'know... PLAY him") by letting Fogheads decide which Willie song to play and -- much to my surprise -- the choice was "Pancho & Lefty"!

Oh, and that Kooks song they're playing is like something the Cowsills/Partridges might've recorded way back when.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised at the Meters cut too.  That 'Happy' song was pretty annoying though.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: September 01, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
Just announced on FB: the 10@10 Marathon returns... sorta.  As predicted by TC weeks ago, they're gonna throw the wee's shows up onto kfog.com for 7 days, whence they'll be replaced by the following week's shows.  Not surprising. Everybody happy now?  ;)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: September 01, 2011, 03:37:04 PM »
Just announced on FB: the 10@10 Marathon returns... sorta.  As predicted by TC weeks ago, they're gonna throw the wee's shows up onto kfog.com for 7 days, whence they'll be replaced by the following week's shows.  Not surprising. Everybody happy now?  ;)

Actually, this is a somewhat reasonable solution, although I did enjoy listening to the marathon while performing Saturday morning activities. I wonder if the shows will be downloadable? I know Giter Dunn does this already, but that would be cool.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »

Actually, this is a somewhat reasonable solution, although I did enjoy listening to the marathon while performing Saturday morning activities. I wonder if the shows will be downloadable? I know Giter Dunn does this already, but that would be cool.

If I just want to hear old music, I'll play my own collection.  One of the big reasons people listen to radio is the communal aspect. Yes, posting the shows assuages a certain aspect, but it's not the same.  We shall see.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: September 01, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »

If I just want to hear old music, I'll play my own collection.  One of the big reasons people listen to radio is the communal aspect. Yes, posting the shows assuages a certain aspect, but it's not the same.  We shall see.

It's better than nothing but this is just throwing a bone to everyone that's been kvetching since the marathon went away last month. It negates the whole "collective consciousness" aspect of everyone listening to the same thing at the same time. Sort of like watching a movie at home on Netflix streaming as opposed to going to the theater and sitting in the dark with a bunch of strangers. Nice, but not the same experience. Unless everyone agrees to listen to set 1 at 7am on Saturday, and set 2 at 7:55, and so forth. And I don't see that happening.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: September 03, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »

It's better than nothing but this is just throwing a bone to everyone that's been kvetching since the marathon went away last month. It negates the whole "collective consciousness" aspect of everyone listening to the same thing at the same time. Sort of like watching a movie at home on Netflix streaming as opposed to going to the theater and sitting in the dark with a bunch of strangers. Nice, but not the same experience. Unless everyone agrees to listen to set 1 at 7am on Saturday, and set 2 at 7:55, and so forth. And I don't see that happening.
OK, so what's the deal?  The way it looks here is that it's being streamed out, like a radio.  Are they just going to cycle it all week?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: September 03, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »

OK, so what's the deal?  The way it looks here is that it's being streamed out, like a radio.  Are they just going to cycle it all week?

wait, do you mean if you click on it it starts in the middle somehwere? like it's one big file that repeats? I thought you could choose which sets you wanted to hear.  And then each Friday they're replaced by 5 new ones.  Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do this ages ago, or at least once it became apparent that HD radio (and the all-10@10-all-the-time channel they had on HD-2) wasn't gonna fly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:33:46 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: September 03, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
Just announced on FB: the 10@10 Marathon returns... sorta.  As predicted by TC weeks ago, they're gonna throw the wee's shows up onto kfog.com for 7 days, whence they'll be replaced by the following week's shows.  Not surprising. Everybody happy now?  ;)

If I just want to hear old music, I'll play my own collection.  One of the big reasons people listen to radio is the communal aspect. Yes, posting the shows assuages a certain aspect, but it's not the same.  We shall see.

OK, so what's the deal?  The way it looks here is that it's being streamed out, like a radio.  Are they just going to cycle it all week?

wait, do you mean if you click on it it starts in the middle somehwere? like it's one big file that reapeats? I thought you could choose which sets you wanted to hear.  And then each Friday they're replaced by 5 new ones.  Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do this ages ago, or at least once it became apparent that HD radio (and the all-10@10-all-the-time channel they had on HD-2) wasn't gonna fly.

yeah, right now, it's playing "Creep." (assuming I have the song title correct!)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: September 03, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
Just announced on FB: the 10@10 Marathon returns... sorta.  As predicted by TC weeks ago, they're gonna throw the wee's shows up onto kfog.com for 7 days, whence they'll be replaced by the following week's shows.  Not surprising. Everybody happy now?  ;)

If I just want to hear old music, I'll play my own collection.  One of the big reasons people listen to radio is the communal aspect. Yes, posting the shows assuages a certain aspect, but it's not the same.  We shall see.

OK, so what's the deal?  The way it looks here is that it's being streamed out, like a radio.  Are they just going to cycle it all week?

wait, do you mean if you click on it it starts in the middle somehwere? like it's one big file that repeats? I thought you could choose which sets you wanted to hear.  And then each Friday they're replaced by 5 new ones.  Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do this ages ago, or at least once it became apparent that HD radio (and the all-10@10-all-the-time channel they had on HD-2) wasn't gonna fly.

yeah, right now, it's playing "Creep." (assuming I have the song title correct!)

Hrm. I'm guessing it takes less bandwith, and also costs less, to have one stream that folks log into-and-out-of (like the live on-air stream itself) than to have hundreds of folks starting up their own personal podcast.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: September 03, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »

But surely you know that 10@10 is more than just "old music," otherwise it would not have become so popular in the first place.  It's also the clips, production & segues.  I agree that people listen to the radio for the communal aspect, but that's felt the most @ 10 AM and peters off by 10 PM and even more by the weekend.  Streaming still isn't the same but it does seem like a reasonable solution.  Of course, it would be even better to have it at 10A, 10P, Weekend, AND online...but I guess that's asking too much by this point.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: September 03, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »

But surely you know that 10@10 is more than just "old music," otherwise it would not have become so popular in the first place.  It's also the clips, production & segues.  I agree that people listen to the radio for the communal aspect, but that's felt the most @ 10 AM and peters off by 10 PM and even more by the weekend.  Streaming still isn't the same but it does seem like a reasonable solution.  Of course, it would be even better to have it at 10A, 10P, Weekend, AND online...but I guess that's asking too much by this point.
I'm really enjoying listening to 10@10 on a S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y...nite!  ;)