Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097311 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2160 on: July 20, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »
Dred Scott just played the Alarm, "Rain in the Summertime"... which will pop up on the 10@10 replay again in about 40 minutes.  Oops.

and this morning I woke up to Better Than Ezra's "Good", which AL played in Monday's '95 set.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: July 21, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
Dred Scott just played the Alarm, "Rain in the Summertime"... which will pop up on the 10@10 replay again in about 40 minutes.  Oops.

and this morning I woke up to Better Than Ezra's "Good", which AL played in Monday's '95 set.

Perhaps they're trying to get 10@10 to deviate less from what we hear the other 22 hours of the day on the station?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: July 21, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »

Perhaps they're trying to get 10@10 to deviate less from what we hear the other 22 hours of the day on the station?

sure seems that way.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: July 25, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
Huh, after the new Chili Peppers (yawn), Constantine played Johnny Cash's "Hurt".  That's definitely new to KFOG's playlist -- first spin 2011-03-03, and getting spun maybe once or twice a week or so.  (Hm, a bunch of times it was after midnight though, so the computer spun it.)

They've also spun "Personal Jesus" a couple of times (well, at 3:51AM, but also during The Morning Show). "Folsom Prison Blues" showed up a bunch of times in January, then a few times since.

Not a bad thing, IMHO.  But what's next?  "A Girl Named Sue?"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
Huh, after the new Chili Peppers (yawn), Constantine played Johnny Cash's "Hurt".  That's definitely new to KFOG's playlist -- first spin 2011-03-03, and getting spun maybe once or twice a week or so.  (Hm, a bunch of times it was after midnight though, so the computer spun it.)

They've also spun "Personal Jesus" a couple of times (well, at 3:51AM, but also during The Morning Show). "Folsom Prison Blues" showed up a bunch of times in January, then a few times since.

Not a bad thing, IMHO.  But what's next?  "A Girl Named Sue?"

That would not be a bad thing in my opinion either.  Johnny Cash is country but he's pretty awesome and influential, esp. for songs like "A Boy Named Sue" & they would be served well by playing more by him in addition to the novelty remakes that have been shoved down our throats.

This afternoon they played Enigma's "Return to Innocence."  (A frequent request of mine on 10@10, along with Sadeness, that AFAIK never got played.  Nobody touched it after the real KKSF bit the dust so its return to the Bay Area airwaves is most welcome.  As are the recent semi-frequent spins of "Running Up that Hill."  This weekend I heard Portishead's "Sour Times" followed by Depeche Mode's "People is People."  Live 105 (and all other stations), take note, this is what radio should sound like. 

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: July 25, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »
Huh, after the new Chili Peppers (yawn), Constantine played Johnny Cash's "Hurt".  That's definitely new to KFOG's playlist -- first spin 2011-03-03, and getting spun maybe once or twice a week or so.  (Hm, a bunch of times it was after midnight though, so the computer spun it.)

Not a bad thing, IMHO.  But what's next?  "A Girl Named Sue?"

That would not be a bad thing in my opinion either.  Johnny Cash is country but he's pretty awesome and influential, esp. for songs like "A Boy Named Sue" & they would be served well by playing more by him in addition to the novelty remakes that have been shoved down our throats.

This afternoon they played Enigma's "Return to Innocence."  (A frequent request of mine on 10@10, along with Sadeness, that AFAIK never got played.  Nobody touched it after the real KKSF bit the dust so its return to the Bay Area airwaves is most welcome.  As are the recent semi-frequent spins of "Running Up that Hill."  This weekend I heard Portishead's "Sour Times" followed by Depeche Mode's "People is People."  Live 105 (and all other stations), take note, this is what radio should sound like.  

The discussion of the inclusion of some serious country artists reminded me of something: Is KFOG still including a token reggae track (no, not a reference to Smoke Two Joints) a couple of times per shift? That's been a hallmark of the KFOG sound pretty much since they flipped from "beautiful music" in '82. I just wonder if Constantine has given that the blade in addition to all the other changes he's enacted.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: July 25, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »
The discussion of the inclusion of some serious country artists reminded me of something: Is KFOG still including a token reggae track (no, not a reference to Smoke Two Joints) a couple of times per shift? That's been a hallmark of the KFOG sound pretty much since they flipped from "beautiful music" in '82. I just wonder if Constantine has given that the blade in addition to all the other changes he's enacted.

I still hear Bob and/or Ziggy Marley, although not as often as "a couple of times per shift," more like, "on occasion." 

Unless they want to count Sublime...  ::)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: July 26, 2011, 07:38:46 AM »

I still hear Bob and/or Ziggy Marley, although not as often as "a couple of times per shift," more like, "on occasion." 

Unless they want to count Sublime...  ::)

I heard 2 (count 'em!) '70s tracks in the 6:00 hour: Bowie's "Changes" and then, 10 minutes later the Request-O-rama winner asked for Steely Dan, "My Old School". Sorry, DC.

as to reggae, Marley's stuff counts as '70s too; but it seems more likely you'll hear Bob these days than CSNY or EJ.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:53:48 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: July 26, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »
Heard today on KFOG, for the first time (aside from 10@10/specialty programming):

Moby - Natural Blues
Duran Duran - Ordinary World
Morphine - Buena

All of these were on the Renee show who was in for AL. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: July 27, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
Heard today on KFOG, for the first time (aside from 10@10/specialty programming):

Moby - Natural Blues
Duran Duran - Ordinary World
Morphine - Buena

All of these were on the Renee show who was in for AL. 

One '90s track I'd love for them to rediscover is Blondie's 1998 comeback, "Maria". KFOG completely ignored it at the time, which was baffling since they still had "Heart of Glass" playing regularly.  I seem to recall they also passed on playing a B-52s album, even tho' "Roam" and "Love Shack" were (are?) in regular rotation. So why not play a good new song that sounds like one of their old songs? But they never did. Alice played the hell out of the Blondie track, tho'.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:58:21 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: July 27, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
Sodden thought: Do today's 20- and 30-somethings even listen to the radio very much? Or are they plugged into their iPods/iPhones/whatever? Does the audience that DC is chasing even exist in numbers comparable to that of the boomers he's casting aside?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: July 27, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
Sodden thought: Do today's 20- and 30-somethings even listen to the radio very much? Or are they plugged into their iPods/iPhones/whatever? Does the audience that DC is chasing even exist in numbers comparable to that of the boomers he's casting aside?

This is a topic that is constantly debated on other radio boards and within the business. It is true that boomers DO listen to radio, whereas 20-somethings listen in much smaller numbers. (and all of us who post here, regardless of age, would be considered outliers because we're "radio geeks")

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
"If You Haven't Heard KFOG lately... You haven't Heard KFOG!"

Yup, they're actually using that tagline now ::).  Heard it just before 6am, and then I was assaulted by Jazn Mrazzzzz, givin' me his bestest.

also heard Duran2's "Ordinary World" in the 6:00 hour.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:37:41 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: July 28, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
They're also playing a LOT of the Dave Matthews catalog... a LOT.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: July 28, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
They're also playing a LOT of the Dave Matthews catalog... a LOT.

Ugh.  This is why I listen to the Oldies station! 

None of my 20-something friends would even *think* about turning on the radio.  It's Grooveshark and Pandora all the way for them.  I'm not a fan of Pandora myself, but I do listen to Grooveshark at work.  Today I listened to Squeezing Out Sparks.  Yesterday I listened to the 9 minute album version of Feels So Good.  It's my new favorite thing!