Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097400 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2055 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »
Bad enuf I had to suffer John Hiatt in this week's episode of Treme --now here he is on KFOG, bangin' like-a Charlie Watts.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 31, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
KFOG (on FB) are characterizing their interview with Tracy Morgan this morning as "bizarre". Anyone hear it?

http://www.kfog.com/PROGRAMMING/kfogmorningshow.aspx#2761

He sounds a little sleepy.  They of course start out by asking him about 30 Rock, which is probably what Morgan is best known for, and immediately Morgan says he usually doesn't like to answer questions about 30 Rock when it's pertaining to his standup.  "It throws people off, because they're expecting to see Tracy Jordan (his character on the show)."  Peter pressed him -- "But don't you expect that?"  And Morgan replied, "No I don't, and it really helps when 30 Rock is not mentioned.  It does help.  I'm one of the smartest people you'll meet."

That's what they replayed today.

But huh, that was about it.  People were writing in that Morgan was too rough re: 30 Rock, or alternately that Peter pushed too hard on the 30 Rock issue.  But the interview went on for another 5-6 minutes and honestly I think that Morgan is just not the typical kind of celeb call-in interviewee.

He was eating something as he talked (I thought he said "Chubbies", but when Webster asked what other candies he liked, Morgan took offense and said, "It's not candy, it's a fruit", and I realized then it was "Cherries").  He wants his comedy to be taken "seriously", and I think he *is* trying to distance himself from the happy-go-lucky clown character of Jordan.

Meanwhile, The Morning Show threw their typical softball questions (funniest bit on SNL? previous jobs?) and Morgan jumped on them, misunderstood, and otherwise ignored their questions and just said what he wanted to say.  He sounded like he was just riffing on talking to three white boys.

So yeah, bizarre for a typical KFOG guest, but not awful.  Actually pretty funny radio, if taken in the right context.

Terry Gross interviewed Morgan and also ended up with a pretty unexpected results:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114009203

ACTUALLY, I'm relistening to Terry's interview now.  If Greg had done his research he would've listened to this interview first.  He again starts out distinguishing himself from Tracy Jordan the character.  And speaks very seriously about his time at SNL, and life in general.  I think The Morning Show approached him with their typical kid gloves, and Morgan took basically had his way with them. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:47:04 PM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 06, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
they're giving away Outside Lands tix this week, whenever you hear Muse, Phish or Aracde Fire you're supposed to call in. Which is interesting, as none of those 3 are exactly heavy-duty KFOG playlist regulars.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:00:20 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »
Yeesh, they're playing a new GooGoo Dolls tune that's from the Transformers 3 sndtk. Way to be whores, dudes.

BTW I've noticed that the evening guy, Rockwell, now sticks around AFTER the 10@10 replay -- I think he's there until midnight. No more "Big Rick left early and the automation screwed things up" messes, plus it fits their new mantra of music picked "by hand" and not by computer.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 09, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
Yeesh, they're playing a new GooGoo Dolls tune that's from the Transformers 3 sndtk. Way to be whores, dudes.

Double yeesh: they're playing TWO songs from that sndtk, and the other is by... Linkin Park. Say it ain't so, Mr Constantine.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
per the "just played" list, KFOG played Stan Getz/Astrid Gilberto "Girl From Ipenema" this morning around 8:30 -- WTF?? anybody know what that was about?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:53:52 AM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 14, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »

per the "just played" list, KFOG played Stan Getz/Astrid Gilberto "Girl From Ipenema" this morning around 8:30 -- WTF?? anybody know what that was about?

No idea, but did you know that "The Girl From Ipanema" is a real living person?  And that I've met her and chatted for several minutes?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
I see KFOG is playing one of the Jack White/Norah Jones things from that DangerMouse CD. Concept album? Rock opera? Whatevs.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »

No idea, but did you know that "The Girl From Ipanema" is a real living person?  And that I've met her and chatted for several minutes?

wow, I'm surprised she stopped long enough to chat .. b/c she's always going walking.  tee hee! 

~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
Just heard:
Nick Lowe - So It Goes > Big Audio Dynamite > Medicine Show
KFOG is awesome.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 20, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
Trying to win tickets to Amos Lee/an Adele CD to qualify for the London trip to see Adele. Apparently they forgot to tell the new overnight guy that he'd have to field calls from people trying to win. He didn't announce a winner after the Big Ben sounder played.

After a long rambling thing about how Fitz and the Tantrums sounds like a liontamer act and maybe it's because he's associating it with Fritz the Cat (?!), he IDed himself as Dred Scott. 

LinkedIn says he's still at 100.3 The Sound in L.A., but laradio.com says he left in early 2010 after the overnight live shift was eliminated.  Apparently he also worked at KFOG a *looong* time ago (I think I vaguely recall him, his but his LinkedIn says he DJed there back in the 1900s, haha.)  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dred-scott/22/a9b/98

Anybody else remember this guy, or heard him?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:49 AM »
Trying to win tickets to Amos Lee/an Adele CD to qualify for the London trip to see Adele. Apparently they forgot to tell the new overnight guy that he'd have to field calls from people trying to win. He didn't announce a winner after the Big Ben sounder played.

After a long rambling thing about how Fitz and the Tantrums sounds like a liontamer act and maybe it's because he's associating it with Fritz the Cat (?!), he IDed himself as Dred Scott. 

LinkedIn says he's still at 100.3 The Sound in L.A., but laradio.com says he left in early 2010 after the overnight live shift was eliminated.  Apparently he also worked at KFOG a *looong* time ago (I think I vaguely recall him, his but his LinkedIn says he DJed there back in the 1900s, haha.)  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dred-scott/22/a9b/98

wow, KFOG has a *LIVE* overnite guy?? They've been voice-tracked after midnite for, like, more than a decade. (or is it possible he IS voicetracked and the automation played the "Big Ben" thing by mistake? the contest is only supposed to be running during the day, afaik).  There are all these idiots on the radio-info.com SF board predicting that KFOG will become a KGO FM simulcast after the Cumulus/Citadel merger is complete -- but why would they be spending so much money to revitalize KFOG if that were in the offing?

And BTW the morning show is once again doing what 10@10 should've done: celebrating the solstice with "summery songs"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2067 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »
And BTW the morning show is once again doing what 10@10 should've done: celebrating the solstice with "summery songs"

I was totally aghast yesterday when they had a call in winner who said the solstice was the day the sun was closest to the earth.  I tried to call in and I emailed, but to no avail.  The sun is closest to the earth in January!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:26 AM »

wow, KFOG has a *LIVE* overnite guy?? They've been voice-tracked after midnite for, like, more than a decade. (or is it possible he IS voicetracked and the automation played the "Big Ben" thing by mistake? the contest is only supposed to be running during the day, afaik). 

I heard Dred Scott last nite around 9:45 (I'm guessing Darryl said "Overnite" when he meant to say "evening") Found him sorta borderline irritating, but then we all felt that way about Webster in the beginning. Did they get rid of Rockwell, or did Constantine just get tired of doing an air shift?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
wow, how long has it been?  Jason Mraz rears his hatted head on KFOG today as part of the 9 o'clock "My 3 Songs" pop quiz: 

what's the connection?

Duffy (some song, doesn't matter)
KT Tunstall (Suddenly I see)
Jzn Mrz (I'm Yours)
~CPL593H~