Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097378 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2040 on: May 13, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
Ah that's right, 9AM.  I remember calling in from the parking lot at work.  Here were the songs from March 30, 1998:

Staring At The Sun - U2
Dancing In The Street - Bowie/Jagger version, perhaps
Putting Out Fire With Gasoline - Cat People (but haha, all these years I thought it was Midnight Oil)

Can ya guess the connection?  Get this -- the prize was a 3Com 56K modem.  Ooooh, ahhh.  (I went on to work for 3Com/Palm in 2000.)

things that you shouldn't really try at home?

*applause*

Nice work all.  Today's callers were amazingly lame, and FWIW, the Morning Show did not let them off easy.  Prize:  Sheryl Crow tickets.

#1  Here Comes the Sun

First caller guesses #2:  Katrina and the Waves, "Walking on Sunshine"?  Noooo!

#2  Blister in the Sun

Once #2 starts playing, a caller calls in, says it's "Raisin in the Sun".  Really?  Rejected.
Then the next caller dials in, properly IDs #1 and #2, and then says it'll be Sheryl Crow's song... "Sunshine"?  Really?  Bzzt.

Actually, heck, #3 may have already been playing when he says this.  Geez.

#3  Soak Up The Sun

So the song finally starts up, and somebody calls in and properly IDs all three tunes.  The connection... "Uh, sunshine"?  Ok, they gave it to him, even though they were looking for the word SUN.  Sakes alive.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 14, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
#2  Blister in the Sun

Once #2 starts playing, a caller calls in, says it's "Raisin in the Sun".  Really?  Rejected.\

But inspired!  LOL!  Big hands, you're a dream deferred ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »
Some Feats here in the pre-10@10 slot. "Hate to Lose Your Lovin'"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 18, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
Ooops: KFOG just posted this on FB

"If you're '(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay' later this afternoon (5-6pm) you just might fish out $1000 and a trip to South Africa"

... except that's TOMORROW'S "song of the day". Today's is "Trouble Me" by 10K Maniacs.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
Ok, so yeah, they maybe totally overplaying the crap out of that new Paul Simon song, but this is really kind of sweet:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXBlY5CImUU

[Posted on the KFOG Facebook]  After a fan yells out that she learned to play guitar on Duncan (which I don't know), he brings her up on stage to play.  The whole dang song.  With the band backing her.  While Paul just kind of kicks back, encouraging her, directing the band a bit.

On the other hand, man, he must be getting old, having to bring up random audience members just so he can take a breather.  ;-}

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:44 AM »
I have no idea why this was a related video, but holy crap:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi4g_U0hoOg&NR=1 [Miniature Cannon]

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 19, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »
Ok, so yeah, they maybe totally overplaying the crap out of that new Paul Simon song...

I haven't heard them play it yet. is it really in heavy rotation?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 19, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
Ok, so yeah, they maybe totally overplaying the crap out of that new Paul Simon song...

I haven't heard them play it yet. is it really in heavy rotation?

the one about a "rewrite?"  he did that on SNL a couple weeks back.
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 19, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
It's "The Afterlife" -- the hook is "You got to fill out a form first, and then you wait in the line."

Well, it's getting played 3-4 times a day, which for KFOG is pretty heavy:
http://rudebadmood.com/foglist/index.php?qnewartist=&qnewsong=afterlife&qnewstart=&qnewstop=&copy=checkbox&qoldartist=&qoldsong=afterlife&qoldalbum=&qoldstart=&qoldstop=&iscopy=checkbox&Submit=Submit

Also getting tons of play is Fitz & The Tantrum's "Moneygrabber", which I actually liked, the first 100 times I heard it, but now, not so much:
http://rudebadmood.com/foglist/index.php?qnewartist=&qnewsong=moneygrabber&qnewstart=&qnewstop=&copy=checkbox&qoldartist=&qoldsong=moneygrabber&qoldalbum=&qoldstart=&qoldstop=&iscopy=checkbox&Submit=Submit

Man, would love some SQL to help generate charts (Rod :-).  But for now, this will have to do:
http://kfog.rew.fm/

The site design is horrible, but the data behind it is a goldmine.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 19, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
Also getting tons of play is Fitz & The Tantrum's "Moneygrabber", which I actually liked, the first 100 times I heard it, but now, not so much:

yeah it's ABC meets Spandau Ballet with a dash of INXS.

They're also playing a lot of Scars on 45 -- worst band name ever.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:03:58 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
Don't often listen to KFOG between 7 and 10 but figured I'd see what Armageddon ditties they play today.

"Dust in the Wind" -- oh Fogheads, so literal.

"I Saw the Light" -- not clear if that's part of the theme but always nice to hear.

The 9:00 Quiz involved a mini-"My 15 songs" with clips from songs that fit the theme (REM, Prince, Doors, U2 etc etc) and you were supposed to call in and correctly name as many of those songs as possible in 10 seconds. The winner (!) named exactly 3. Fogheads *deserve* armageddon.

"Spirit in the Sky" -- overexposed but appropriate.

Renee gives away Prince tix while spinning "1999".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:51:58 AM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 20, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »

yeah it's ABC meets Spandau Ballet with a dash of INXS.

They're also playing a lot of Scars on 45 -- worst band name ever.

Yeah, worst band name, and pretty damned boring song.  As I wrote to dennis@kfog.com:

I liked them better when they were called Snow Patrol.  Or Coldplay. Or something else that makes me yawn.  :}

Yesterday he played Bittersweet Symphony, and introduced or backsold the song with a mention that it samples an obscure Rolling Stones song.  I wrote him again:

Subject: Bittersweet Symphony - The Stones

The trivia re: Bittersweet Symphony was a nice touch, but more interesting to me is that they didn't just sample.  They got busted for sampling, then got sued, then had to gave up all royalties to the Mick and Keef.

Also, it would've been interesting to hear "The Last Time" to see if we could hear any of the sample (since the Verve actually sampled from an orchestral recording of the tune.)

I know "The Last Time" isn't a super-deep track, but I don't think it's one KFOG plays.

I wonder if he's getting sick of my comments yet.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:05:13 AM by darryl »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 20, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
The 9:00 Quiz involved a mini-"My 15 songs" with clips from songs that fit the theme (REM, Prince, Doors, U2 etc etc) and you were supposed to call in and correctly name as many of those songs as possible in 10 seconds. The winner (!) named exactly 3. Fogheads *deserve* armageddon.

I missed this (we overslept -- gaak!), but to be fair, I find those "Name x in 10 seconds" contests *hard*.  It's easy to get flummoxed under the pressure of being on the radio, trying to win a contest, etc.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 26, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
Oh so yesterday evening around 5:30PM or so Dennis Constantine starts talking about how The Doors were scheduled to play with Otis Redding at Winterland in December 1967, but 2 weeks before Otis was killed in a plane crash.  Says that The Doors "Running Blue" was recorded as a tribute, with Robby Krieger on vocals, a rare thing.  So yeah, the song was great, NTM.  And then, in something I always wish KFOG did more (and which Dave Morey frequently made a point to do), he segued into a Otis's "Love Man".  Also NTM.

I wrote him and thanked him for the history lesson.  Sincerely.

Love to hear stuff like this.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 27, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
KFOG (on FB) are characterizing their interview with Tracy Morgan this morning as "bizarre". Anyone hear it?