Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097393 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2025 on: May 11, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
Lifehouse "You & Me" into Journey "Don't Stop Believin'" = trending a bit too Hot AC for comfort.  (It doesn't help that that was followed by Pearl Jam "Just Breathe," either.)

I guess as long as they play everything, I can't complain too much...but they have to actually keep on playing everything.

...and that was followed by Peter Murphy "Cuts You Up."  8) (breathes sigh of relief)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 12, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
5:55am: Beck's "New Pollution" is the new "Under Pressure".

6:15am: Moby's annoying "Southside" makes another appearance. Come back, "Rocket Man" and "Sweet Home Alabama"! All is forgiven!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
And if anybody out there knows SQL, I'd love to see a query that would try to ferret out "new" tracks as they show up.

I don't know your tables at all, but something like this would give you songs played once, and the date they were played:

Hey Rod -- thanks!  Here's the schema.  I have two databases.  The "new" one captures what shows up in the "Just Played" box on the home page, and doesn't include Album info.  The "old" looks at the "Just Played page" and does have Album info.

Code: [Select]
--
-- Table structure for table `newfog`
--

CREATE TABLE `newfog` (
  `datetime` datetime NOT NULL,
  `artist` varchar(80) NOT NULL,
  `song` varchar(80) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`datetime`),
  FULLTEXT KEY `artist` (`artist`),
  FULLTEXT KEY `song` (`song`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

--
-- Table structure for table `oldfog`
--

CREATE TABLE `oldfog` (
  `datetime` datetime NOT NULL,
  `artist` varchar(40) NOT NULL,
  `song` varchar(40) NOT NULL,
  `album` varchar(40) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`datetime`),
  FULLTEXT KEY `artist` (`artist`),
  FULLTEXT KEY `song` (`song`),
  FULLTEXT KEY `album` (`album`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

If you're interested, I'd be happy to give you read-access to poke around as you like.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 12, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
Ugh, KFOG's Internet connection is down, so I have no data for the past 11 hours.  Hrm, looks like I'll be able to fill in some of the blanks here from data:  http://www.yes.com/#KFOG

Oh *man*, I can't believe the guy who got today's "My 3 Songs" to win tickets to Saturday's Oysterfest where Rodrigo y Gabriela and Guster will be playing.

Song #1:  Dave Matthews Band - Satellite

Can you guess songs #2 and #3?  Ok, if you were awake, you'd guess #3 would be Guster's Satellite.  But #2?

Unbelievably, somebody called in and guessed Lou Reed's Satellite of Love before it was played.  First off, WHAT?  AFAIK That song has never been played on KFOG during regular hours.  Has it shown up on 10@10?  Secondly, what a great fricking song.

My thinking is that The Morning Show was just being very lenient, probably accepting any song/artist with Satellite in the name.  As Renee said, "How did you know we wouldn't play something by the Georgia Satellites?" ;-}

But mainly I'm surprised they even had that in their collection.  I bet they had to play it off of the CD instead of calling it up on the computer.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: May 12, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
Oh *man*, I can't believe the guy who got today's "My 3 Songs" to win tickets to Saturday's Oysterfest where Rodrigo y Gabriela and Guster will be playing.

Song #1:  Dave Matthews Band - Satellite

Can you guess songs #2 and #3?  Ok, if you were awake, you'd guess #3 would be Guster's Satellite.  But #2?

Unbelievably, somebody called in and guessed Lou Reed's Satellite of Love before it was played.  First off, WHAT?  AFAIK That song has never been played on KFOG during regular hours.  Has it shown up on 10@10?  Secondly, what a great fricking song.

My thinking is that The Morning Show was just being very lenient, probably accepting any song/artist with Satellite in the name.  As Renee said, "How did you know we wouldn't play something by the Georgia Satellites?" ;-}

But mainly I'm surprised they even had that in their collection.  I bet they had to play it off of the CD instead of calling it up on the computer.

Yes, "Satellite of Love" has made a 10@10 appearance or 2. and Yes, it's become obvious (to me, anyway) that "My 3 Songs" often works on the principle that, if they're in a hurry to move on, and the connection is, say, "songs with the word ____ in the title" they just go with the flow and accept any answer that happens to be in the library.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: May 12, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
Looks like Dennis has revived another rarely played track:  Fine Young Cannibals' "Good Thing"

Dig it, but much like "Do You Know What I Mean" it's probably not a 10@10 rarity.  But hearing DYKWIM it outside of 10@10 was odd to me.  Alas, the only music I really recall actually listening to during 70s (I was born in 70) were Captain and Tenille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" and Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street".  Ah, there were probably others, but my parents didn't listen to a lot of music.  I heard a *lot* of KCBS growing up.  And KSFO (go A's).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »
Looks like Dennis has revived another rarely played track:  Fine Young Cannibals' "Good Thing"

Dig it, but much like "Do You Know What I Mean" it's probably not a 10@10 rarity. 

indeed, "Good Thing" is one of the biggest Katrinas in the history of the shraytabase. And again, it's one K-FOX would never play in a million years, so it works for the "It's Different Here" meme KFOG is promoting.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:25:39 AM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
Yes, "Satellite of Love" has made a 10@10 appearance or 2. and Yes, it's become obvious (to me, anyway) that "My 3 Songs" often works on the principle that, if they're in a hurry to move on, and the connection is, say, "songs with the word ____ in the title" they just go with the flow and accept any answer that happens to be in the library.

Actually I find it rare for somebody to call in *before* song #2 and have them give it to them.

God, I remember back in the days when Dave used to regularly do My 3 Songs (I can't remember if it was before or after 10@10), he would sometimes stretch it out agonizingly long, not accepting various attempts.  That was the only way I won, once.  ;-}

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 12, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »

Actually I find it rare for somebody to call in *before* song #2 and have them give it to them.

God, I remember back in the days when Dave used to regularly do My 3 Songs (I can't remember if it was before or after 10@10), he would sometimes stretch it out agonizingly long, not accepting various attempts.  That was the only way I won, once.  ;-}

Dave was old-school (thank gawd) but consultants have decided that contests cannot be "too hard" because it alienates the, er, stupid people in the audience (who are the majority, sadly). That's why "My 3 Songs" (which was every day at 9am for years) disappeared for a while, it was considered too obscure.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: May 12, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
Ah that's right, 9AM.  I remember calling in from the parking lot at work.  Here were the songs from March 30, 1998:

Staring At The Sun - U2
Dancing In The Street - Bowie/Jagger version, perhaps
Putting Out Fire With Gasoline - Cat People (but haha, all these years I thought it was Midnight Oil)

Can ya guess the connection?  Get this -- the prize was a 3Com 56K modem.  Ooooh, ahhh.  (I went on to work for 3Com/Palm in 2000.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:22:52 AM by darryl »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:03 AM »
You know what contests I *hate* and find insanely hard most of the time?  Train Wreck Tuesdays.  God I hate hearing songs overlaid like that.  Maybe if I was wearing headphones I'd do better.  Or if I loaded up a list of the band/artists' greatest hits and just figured it out.  But those ones are often really painful for me.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
Ah that's right, 9AM.  I remember calling in from the parking lot at work.  Here were the songs from March 30, 1998:

Staring At The Sun - U2
Putting Out Fire With Gasoline - Cat People (but haha, all these years I thought it was Midnight Oil)

Can ya guess the connection?  Get this -- the prize was a 3Com 56K modem.  Ooooh, ahhh.  (I went on to work for 3Com/Palm in 2000.)

things that you shouldn't really try at home?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »

Staring At The Sun - U2

now, if it had been "Staring at the Sun", "Poke Out My Eyes" and "Pictures of Lily" it woulda been "things that can make you blind"  ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: May 12, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »

Staring At The Sun - U2

*applause*
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: May 12, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
If you're interested, I'd be happy to give you read-access to poke around as you like.

That might be fun for a bit.  I don't spend a lot of time on the computer away from the office, but I could kill an hour or two playing with some queries.  Contact me at flem59 (at) yahoo daht com and we can set some stuff up offline.

I see that it's a MySQL db, which I already thought likely.  That is fine, but any queries I suggest without trying them myself will possibly not function correctly without some tweaking.  I work in Microsoft SQL Server, and there are minor syntax differences (for instance, your table create scripts have ticks (') around the object and column names -- MS SQL would not).  I don't know what they are, but google can fix anything.

I was thinking about this last night while trying to get to sleep (damned insomnia).  If I were you I would probably create the VIEW like this.
CREATE VIEW song_list
as
SELECT
  song, artist, min(datetime) AS first_played, max(datetime) AS most_recent, count(*) total_plays
FROM
  newfog
  LEFT OUTER JOIN otherdb..oldfog on oldfog.song = newfog.song and oldfog.album = newfog.album
  -- would need to verify this join to oldfog bit -- might not be able to do it, but just remove if not
GROUP BY
  song, artist
GO

This gives you a distinct list of your songs (including covers -- by grouping by song and artist, you get rows for every cover), plus the date they were "new" to the db, and the last time they were played.  Then you might do something like:

SELECT
  song, artist, first_played
FROM
  song_list
WHERE
  YEAR(first_played) = YEAR(getdate())

This will give you a reasonable shot at getting all the songs that are "new" to the playlist this year.

Okay, this is arguably work related, but I better get back at it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing