Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097316 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2010 on: May 09, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
The first three songs of the 11:00 hour:

Cracker "Low" - major kudos
Death Cab's latest
Hot Tuna "Hesitation Blues" - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?  Outside of perhaps the late-lamented KPIG, when/where has anyone heard that in regular airplay?  I'm getting gobsmacked on a daily basis lately.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »

Death Cab's latest
Hot Tuna "Hesitation Blues" - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?  Outside of perhaps the late-lamented KPIG, when/where has anyone heard that in regular airplay?  I'm getting gobsmacked on a daily basis lately.

impressive, tho' they still need to dial back on Train and the like. Speaking of, as I walked into CitiField last week for Mets/Giants... they were playing "Hey 'Ho Blister". No place is safe!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 09, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »

Death Cab's latest

impressive, tho' they still need to dial back on Train and the like. Speaking of, as I walked into CitiField last week for Mets/Giants... they were playing "Hey 'Ho Blister". No place is safe!

I think I'm detecting a deliberate No Cal bias (Hot Tuna & Train are SF, Cracker is Santa Cruz, even Sara B. is Mendo County) in their new programming, so maybe we're stuck with Train (unless/until they make a big deal out of moving to somewhere else!). 

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 09, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »
I think I'm detecting a deliberate No Cal bias (Hot Tuna & Train are SF, Cracker is Santa Cruz, even Sara B. is Mendo County) in their new programming, so maybe we're stuck with Train (unless/until they make a big deal out of moving to somewhere else!). 

You may be onto something -- just looked at the "just played" list and in the past hour they actually played "Genesis" by Jorma Kaukonen! which is even more gobsmacking than "Hesitation Blues" (and both on the same day!)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 10, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
Gobsmack trump card (for me, anwyay): it's 1:46 AM and they're playing a remix of Garbage - "Special" that would not sound out of place on a smooth jazz station.  My mind is completely blown.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »

Death Cab's latest

damn, they sure are playing that one a LOT.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 10, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
I heard something that seemed new to me the other day:  Lee Michael's "Do You Know What I Mean?"

My database says that *wow*, it hasn't been dug out in over 4 years (!):

http://www.rudebadmood.com/foglist/index.php?qnewartist=&qnewsong=do+you+know+what+i+mean&qnewstart=&qnewstop=&copy=checkbox&qoldartist=&qoldsong=do+you+know+what+i+mean&qoldalbum=&qoldstart=&qoldstop=&iscopy=checkbox&Submit=Submit

Please feel free to hammer on the database, let me know if you find any bugs (there is definitely bad data in there, because KFOG's computers apparently sometime reuses song IDs, and you see completely misidentified songs show up.)

And if anybody out there knows SQL, I'd love to see a query that would try to ferret out "new" tracks as they show up.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 10, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
I heard something that seemed new to me the other day:  Lee Michael's "Do You Know What I Mean?"

"new" in terms of regular KFOG playlist, probably, tho' it's a serious Katrina, 10@10-wise.  It makes sense, I guess, as it's a pop-leaning '70s hit (like the previously discussed "Danny's Song" and "Rock On") that The Bone or K-Fox would never play, but for me it's a song I never have to hear again as long as I live.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2019 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »

"new" in terms of regular KFOG playlist, probably, tho' it's a serious Katrina, 10@10-wise.  It makes sense, I guess, as it's a pop-leaning '70s hit (like the previously discussed "Danny's Song" and "Rock On") that The Bone or K-Fox would never play, but for me it's a song I never have to hear again as long as I live.
I almost agree with Mike on this.  It's very familiar to me, being a '71 hit, and it reminds me of way too many San Jose parties back then, blasting through loud Pioneer stereo speakers.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:29 AM »
yet another gobsmacker: this morning around 6:30 they played "Peace Like a River" from the first Paul Simon LP. Everyone in the studio claimed they'd never heard it before; hard to tell if they're serious when they say stuff like that (Greg & Renee, maybe, but Peter & Webster are both 50+).

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
And if anybody out there knows SQL, I'd love to see a query that would try to ferret out "new" tracks as they show up.

I don't know your tables at all, but something like this would give you songs played once, and the date they were played:

* snippet

select
  song_name, played
from
 (select song_name, count(*) times_played, max(date_played) played
   from SONGS
   group by song_name) S
where
 times_played = 1

*end snippet

ETA:  Again, it's hard to say when I don't know what your tables look like or how you are inserting the data.  But if you add a new_flag column to your SONG (or whatever it's called) table and you insert a row at a time, you could always check the dataset in your insert procedure and set the flag if not:

insert into SONGS
song name,
new_flag
select
@song_name,
case when (select count(*) from SONGS s2 where @song_name = s2.song_name) = 0 then 1 else 0 end

Or something like that...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:37:56 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
And they just now did the Jackson Browne tracking-"Take it Easy"-into-"Our Lady of the Well" thing again. Always brings back a memory of laying in bed at 6am on a December morning in '73 -- the day of the famous ice storm that was featured in the novel & movie The Ice Storm -- and waking up to that very segue.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 11, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »

Biggest surprise yet: sortly before 6, they played Jackson Browne's version of "take it Easy"... and lo, they actually let it track into "Our Lady of the Well". Gobsmacked is hardly the word.  Irish Greg got to play the role of outsider and say "I'd never heard that song before".

They just did that again before 10at10 today.  In fact, check out the whole list that preceeded today's set:

Song: DRIVER 8  Artist: REM
Song: TAKE IT EASY/OUR LADY OF  Artist: JACKSON BROWNE
Song: JUST SAY YES  Artist: SNOW PATROL
Song: IS IT LIKE TODAY?  Artist: WORLD PARTY
Song: COLD SWEAT  Artist: JAMES BROWN
Song: HEY HEY HEY  Artist: MICHAEL FRANTI
Song: I MELT WITH YOU  Artist: MODERN ENGLISH 
Song: ISLAND IN THE SUN  Artist: WEEZER
Song: ONE LOVE/ PEOPLE GET READY  Artist: BOB MARLEY

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 11, 2011, 10:53:59 AM »

Biggest surprise yet: sortly before 6, they played Jackson Browne's version of "take it Easy"... and lo, they actually let it track into "Our Lady of the Well". Gobsmacked is hardly the word.  Irish Greg got to play the role of outsider and say "I'd never heard that song before".

They just did that again before 10at10 today.  In fact, check out the whole list that preceeded today's set:

Song: DRIVER 8  Artist: REM
Song: TAKE IT EASY/OUR LADY OF  Artist: JACKSON BROWNE
Song: JUST SAY YES  Artist: SNOW PATROL
Song: IS IT LIKE TODAY?  Artist: WORLD PARTY
Song: COLD SWEAT  Artist: JAMES BROWN
Song: HEY HEY HEY  Artist: MICHAEL FRANTI
Song: I MELT WITH YOU  Artist: MODERN ENGLISH 
Song: ISLAND IN THE SUN  Artist: WEEZER
Song: ONE LOVE/ PEOPLE GET READY  Artist: BOB MARLEY

and here's Mr Franti again, post-10@10.  a moratorium, please.