Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097306 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1980 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »
Holy crap!  Tom Waits, "Fumbling with the Blues" -- I don't think I've ever heard that on the radio! Impressive, ahtellyouwhat.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:59 AM »
anyone else heard the new PD's promos talking about the improvements he's making? "Hand-picked music is better than computer-generated playlists" etc.  Given the "oh wow" songs we've discussed above, and the fact that he seems willing to take a hands-off approach to AL's 10@10, I'm actually kind of impressed at this point, his little kerfuffle with Tim Goodman (and love of Sara Paralysis) notwithstanding.

one thing I'm noticing is the addition of more pop-leaning "classics", like the aforementioned "Dannys Song", "Rock On" and -- currently playing -- "Ride Captain Ride". These are songs K-Fox and The Bone would never touch because they're not rocking enuf, but they're in the same demographic wheelhouse as tired warhorses like "Sweet Home AlaBummer" and "Rocket man". A clever gambit, sez me... as long as these songs don't become equally overplayed.

Too bad Webster screwed up the backannounce on "Ride Captain Ride" by saying it was from " '66 or '67..."  Er, try 1970, dude.

And am I the only one who thinks that whoever wrote Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" musta listened to "Black Horse & the Cherry Tree" a few dozen times?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:57:05 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
Yeah, but they just played Nickelback (which is the equivalent of cancelling out 3 good tunes).   ::)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 20, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
Yeah, but they just played Nickelback (which is the equivalent of cancelling out 3 good tunes).   ::)

eeek. They must've invited a younger demo to their recent focus group.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 21, 2011, 09:28:11 AM »
KaBoom boom boom is dead dead dead. Per the KFOG FB page:

"We searched high, we searched low, but unfortunately we couldn't find the right home for KFOG KaBoom and have had to cancel the event. Thanks for your support of KaBoom these many years, and we look forward to creating new memories with some exciting things we're planning in the months and years ahead..."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 22, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
OK, there is now for some reason a group on FB called "The Foghead Club 38". It has all of 29 members so far including many of the Annalisa page regulars (but no Scott Fisher... yet).

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:11:34 PM by RGMike »

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 22, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
OK, there is now for some reason a group on FB called "The Foghead Club 38". It has all of 29 members so far including many of the Annalisa page regulars (but no Scott Fisher... yet).

We still have our FB group with 81 members but we don't really use it. We could have migrated there when this went down.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1987 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »

We still have our FB group with 81 members but we don't really use it. We could have migrated there when this went down.
we did, a little, but not much.  You can create a private group on fb. I have one for my family.  Two of my kids don't want to be regular 'friends' on fb, but are in this group.  Any family stuff can be discussed, and cannot be seen or searched by rest of world.  If you guys like, I could build one. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 23, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »

we did, a little, but not much.  You can create a private group on fb. I have one for my family.  Two of my kids don't want to be regular 'friends' on fb, but are in this group.  Any family stuff can be discussed, and cannot be seen or searched by rest of world.  If you guys like, I could build one.  
Yes...like!  :)

ETA:  yay!    ;D 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:43:52 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 25, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
For all the welcome "wow" tunes that pop up, there are still some played-too-often songs. Renee seems to play OMD's "If You Leave" 2 or 3 times a week in the 5:50 am post-news slot; gawd knows how often it gets played the rest of the day.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 25, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
For all the welcome "wow" tunes that pop up, there are still some played-too-often songs. Renee seems to play OMD's "If You Leave" 2 or 3 times a week in the 5:50 am post-news slot; gawd knows how often it gets played the rest of the day.

It's been on KFOG a lot more since DC took over, but that's one song I don't mind hearing multiple times a week (along w/ "South Side.")

Thurs. afternoon I heard Mott the Hopple followed by "The Dead Heart" from Midnight Oil.  Wow.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Thurs. afternoon I heard Mott the Hopple

please tell me it was something other than "All the Young Dudes"...

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 25, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »

Sorry, that was it...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 25, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »

Sorry, that was it...

there was a time 3 or 4 years ago when that was as ubiquitous as "Killer Queen", "Rocket man" and "Under Pressure" COMBINED. They gave it a rest for a while... guess it's making a comeback.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 25, 2011, 07:33:17 PM »
Nice to hear Waterloo Sunset not during a 10@10.  OTOH, what's KFOG's obsession with Matt Nathanson's crappy songs?  His latest one, "Faster" has some seriously cringeworthy lyrics.  You've been warned!