Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1097312 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1920 on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »
Posted by Tim Goodman on FB:

"Apologies to those who don't live in the Bay Area. But hey KFOG fans, I should let you know that the new program director isn't a big TV fan, so after 10 years of being on the air every Monday, he'd prefer a 'when TV news is relevant' kind of deal, where I appear randomly. Not sure that's a deal I'm eager to take, but I have enjoyed my time there for a decade (!) and will miss Webster, Peter, Renee and Greg."

Tim's post was followed by some GREAT anti-KFOG comments. Here are a couple:

"I quit KFOG a while ago due to the horrible music recycling program they have going on, but I've ALWAYS tuned in during the morning show to catch you - and sometimes just to see if anything had changed for the better (sadly never the case, last week they were actually spelling words - spelling, on the radio. I guess nothing else was going on in the world...) Though I knew everything would go to shit as soon as Dave left, I had a small amount of hope that I was wrong. I was not. Bay area radio is dead."

"What an idiotic decsion. Other than 10@10. Not much reason to listen to KFOG these days. What, do they need more time to play 'Little Lion Man' one more time?"

Peter Hartlaub, who is on KFOG occasionally, commented, too:

Peter Hartlaub:
Does this program director know how many World Class Rock Blocks from Genesis I endured to listen to you over the past decade?  Kidding. Dumb move on their part. I'll continue to enjoy Webster, Renee, Peter and Greg but miss the Monday ritual.... Expect a phone call from me every Mon. at 8:30 a.m. asking you if "Charmed" is coming back, just so you won't miss the routine too much."

I like Tim, but I hardly paid attn to his Monday's on KFOG, b/c I don't have cable or a DVR. If I did, I'd never leave home. I did notice when he talked up big series, like The Wire or Rome, etc, and I would eventually get around to watching them on DVD, but most of the TV shows he (or other people) like are just not on my radar. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 14, 2011, 08:07:05 AM »
Posted by Tim Goodman on FB:

"Apologies to those who don't live in the Bay Area. But hey KFOG fans, I should let you know that the new program director isn't a big TV fan, so after 10 years of being on the air every Monday, he'd prefer a 'when TV news is relevant' kind of deal, where I appear randomly. Not sure that's a deal I'm eager to take, but I have enjoyed my time there for a decade (!) and will miss Webster, Peter, Renee and Greg."

Tim's post was followed by some GREAT anti-KFOG comments. Here are a couple:

"I quit KFOG a while ago due to the horrible music recycling program they have going on, but I've ALWAYS tuned in during the morning show to catch you - and sometimes just to see if anything had changed for the better (sadly never the case, last week they were actually spelling words - spelling, on the radio. I guess nothing else was going on in the world...) Though I knew everything would go to shit as soon as Dave left, I had a small amount of hope that I was wrong. I was not. Bay area radio is dead."

"What an idiotic decsion. Other than 10@10. Not much reason to listen to KFOG these days. What, do they need more time to play 'Little Lion Man' one more time?"

Peter Hartlaub, who is on KFOG occasionally, commented, too:

Peter Hartlaub:
Does this program director know how many World Class Rock Blocks from Genesis I endured to listen to you over the past decade?  Kidding. Dumb move on their part. I'll continue to enjoy Webster, Renee, Peter and Greg but miss the Monday ritual.... Expect a phone call from me every Mon. at 8:30 a.m. asking you if "Charmed" is coming back, just so you won't miss the routine too much."

I like Tim, but I hardly paid attn to his Monday's on KFOG, b/c I don't have cable or a DVR. If I did, I'd never leave home. I did notice when he talked up big series, like The Wire or Rome, etc, and I would eventually get around to watching them on DVD, but most of the TV shows he (or other people) like are just not on my radar. 

Ha -- I read that comment without realizing it was Mr Poop himself. Funny, I like Goodman's writing, even tho' most of the shows he's creamed his jeans over in the past 10-15 years (Mad Men excepted) have been disappointments to me (Desperate Housewives... Entourage..., the list goes on and on). His stuff about the business of TV, however, is spot-on. I'm not usually tuned to KFOG in the 8:00 hour, so I've hardly ever heard him in recent years. Still, it seems like more dumbing down of a once-smart Morning Show.

I'm sure the new PD has reams of focus-group data telling him Fogheads want more music/less talk, or that they think Tim uses too many big words, or something. And if Mr PD's not a TV fan, then I trust we'll be spared endless chatter about Idol and Dancing With the Stars from now on.  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
I know most of us are FB-friends with "KFOG Radio", but they posted their "explanation" of the Tim Goodman thing:

"To clear the air, we didn't dump Tim Goodman, we just thought it would be better to have him on for topical updates, not just as a matter of course. We look forward to hearing from Tim again soon."

which was followed by a thread of comments, all of which pretty much say "sorry KFOG, that's a load of horeshit"

ETA: now Irish Greg has chimed in with a separate post to try to stanch the bleeding. I'm kinda digging this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:02:09 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41:29 AM »
I know most of us are FB-friends with "KFOG Radio", but they posted their "explanation" of the Tim Goodman thing:

"To clear the air, we didn't dump Tim Goodman, we just thought it would be better to have him on for topical updates, not just as a matter of course. We look forward to hearing from Tim again soon."

which was followed by a thread of comments, all of which pretty much say "sorry KFOG, that's a load of horeshit"

ETA: now Irish Greg has chimed in with a separate post to try to stanch the bleeding. I'm kinda digging this.

Tim's on right now -- on the phone, not in the studio -- talking about the coverage of Japan.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 16, 2011, 09:24:08 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 16, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
Rosalie's in the Chron today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2011%2F03%2F16%2FDDPA1I6GLV.DTL

And Dave Morey's in SF, apparently. KFOG posted on FB that he was "in the house". Dunno if they had him on the air or not.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 17, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  

I noticed that, too.  2 days in a row at almost the same time!  Maybe they're on autopilot.   ;)

No, seriously.  What's the deal with all this Southside (Moby) playing lately?  It seems like I hear it everyday now.  Kinda odd, no?

I've also noticed a lot of:
Amy Winehouse "You Know I'm Good"
Sarah McLesbian "Sweet Surrender"
Various John Mayers & Matchbox 20s that they didn't play as often before (Clarity, Gravity, How Far We've Come, etc)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1927 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  

I noticed that, too.  2 days in a row at almost the same time!  Maybe they're on autopilot.   ;)

No, seriously.  What's the deal with all this Southside (Moby) playing lately?  It seems like I hear it everyday now.  Kinda odd, no?

I've also noticed a lot of:
Amy Winehouse "You Know I'm Good"
Sarah McLesbian "Sweet Surrender"
Various John Mayers & Matchbox 20s that they didn't play as often before (Clarity, Gravity, How Far We've Come, etc)
And again, this morning, "Positively 4th St."  A welcome treat, even if it seems unnaturally often in the rotation!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 21, 2011, 08:15:56 AM »
This morning they did a Request-O-Rama, "What is the Most Overrated Movie of All Time?" according to a poll.  And what was the source of this poll? Why, uber-right-wing website BigHollywood.com, run by ultra-right-wing shithead Andrew Breitbart! So (unsurprisingly) the "most overrated" movie for right-wingers was The Graduate.  Sheesh.

I emailed KFOG (No doubt Irish Greg has no clue who Breitbart is) and await their reply.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 22, 2011, 07:39:39 AM »
This morning they did a Request-O-Rama, "What is the Most Overrated Movie of All Time?" according to a poll.  And what was the source of this poll? Why, uber-right-wing website BigHollywood.com, run by ultra-right-wing shithead Andrew Breitbart! So (unsurprisingly) the "most overrated" movie for right-wingers was The Graduate.  Sheesh.

I emailed KFOG (No doubt Irish Greg has no clue who Breitbart is) and await their reply.

They read my email this morning -- Greg copped to the fact that it was his fault.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 22, 2011, 09:48:07 AM »
I'm also hearing "Brooklyn Brooklyn Take Me In" "I & Love & You" a lot.  Another of those records that only got played on the Sideshow for a long time (even though other Triple-A stations around the country were all over it) and then finally crossed over into the regular playlist... then faded... and now has popped back up.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1931 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:56 PM »

They read my email this morning -- Greg copped to the fact that it was his fault.

thank you Mike!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
I'm also hearing "Brooklyn Brooklyn Take Me In" "I & Love & You" a lot.  Another of those records that only got played on the Sideshow for a long time (even though other Triple-A stations around the country were all over it) and then finally crossed over into the regular playlist... then faded... and now has popped back up.

add to the list: Coldplay's "Yellow" and Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out", which I've heard 3 times this week -- did they play it when it was new?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
Just flipped on KFOG in time to hear the British guy on that "Lost & Found" show playing... Gwynneth Paltrow & Tim McGraw. Not sure how I feel about that...

Just heard a post-10@10 promo for "Lost & Found" that touted a "rare Colbie Caillat" track. WTF?!?!  Dude, if you want to have any credibility at all with regard to obscure music, the name "Colbie Caillat" should not even be in your vocabulary.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 26, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »
WTF-of-the-Day: Just happened to flip on KFOG as I was looking to tune the radio to KFRC's AT40 simulcast. KFOG was playing... "Danny's Song" by L&M! Struck me as VERY out-of-character -- don't think they've ever played that outside 10@10, and it's not either of their birthdays. And they followed it with "Mrs Robinson". Seemed quite odd to me.